Hmm not to sure if this is correct

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Hi all
Well trying to be Mr. Repair man here .. :yikes:
I think I should stick to my real job..

Any way
Just went out and bought my son a new 420 chain and front and read sprocket set same size and the stock ones.. for his kx65..

Took out the stock chain and matched it up to the new one..
Cut it one link shorter
And now the darn sprocket is in the chain guard..
Just a tiny tad but I don’t think it looks correct..
And the chain is very tight can not move the tire back any more then it is.

Is this correct
Will it stretch a little bit after a ride?

Or is it time to buy another chain and start all over...

Thanks all

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Does the wheel spin? The sproket can ride a little in the guide with the wheel all the way forward. The chain will stretch, but if it's too tight, it will wear the sprokets.

evil1now

Apr 7, 2006
Yes it can spin with no problems..
THe chain i have is a DID ..
It was suppose to be the Renthal R1-420
But i got riped off..

I want to bring my son to the track today..

So i guess i can do this and see what happens..

Or should i spend the extra 40 and buy a new chain..
And if so do i get 120 or 130 link chain..

Sorry very new to this stuff..
But it is tons of fun..

I just hope his bike works when i put it all back...

Thanks again

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Did you check the chain before you cut it? Before claiming to have been ripped off you should accept the fact that mistakes happen. I recently had to put a new tire on my truck and didn't realize that it was wrong until the next day. When I notified the dealer, he promptly ordered the correct tire and it was installed the next day. If you ordered a Renthal at a local shop but recieved a DID, you should have just handed it back and told them it was wrong. Now that it it cut, it's pretty much yours. As an option, you could bring it to their attention that you got the wrong chain and perhaps pay for the DID this time but get a Renthal, that way you break even. I am pretty sure the stock chain is a 110 link, but I didn't break out the manual to check. All you have to do to find out is count the links on the original (remember to count every sideplate).
Another trick, since I understand the urge to keep the chain as short as possible, is to measure the chain on the bike before cutting. Just shove the wheel all the way forward and wrap the chain around the sprockets. Leave the appropriate slack in the chain and the open end on the rear sprocket. This will show you where to cut the chain, and even make it a little easier to install the master link. This method is most useful when changing the gear ratio.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Seems like it's just a couple of links too short. Worse case, it'll ruin your sprokets faster or it'll break the chain on the ride. If it spins where it sits, it should be fine as long as the tension on the chain is good. Have you checked it when he sits on the seat? That'll cause more tension as well. If it's already tight, it might break when he starts to ride it. Push down on the seat with the wheels on the ground or just sit on it, see what happens to the chain then.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Very hard to tell from those photo's, it doesn't look like it is making any contact. As far as the chain I always used the inaccurate 3 fingers at the end of the chain slider measurement, any less and it was too tight. When we replace chains and sprockets we set the adjusters to about the middle of the adjuster range, lay the chain on to size it and then cut accordingly. Worst case scenario this gives you a margin for error since you can always move the adjusters closer to the chain guide if you cut one link too short.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
evil1now said:
Or should i spend the extra 40 and buy a new chain..

You could always go buy another master link and put the link that you cut out back in. After the chain stretches, remove the added link. It's not a good idea to run two masterlinks but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new chain.

Running the chain too tight can cause damage to the gearbox and engine cases. On most bikes the chain gets tighter when you push down on the suspension. If it starts out tight and gets tighter from landing off a jump it can break the countershaft bearing right out of the engine cases. And like Okie pointed out it can wear your sprockets.

Sit on the bike and compress the rear suspension. You will notice the chain gets tighter as the suspension compresses to a point and then will get looser. Adjust the chain at the tightest part of the travel so that it has about one half inch of free play.

Good luck.

Ol'89r

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Chili, elk.

Looks like we all posted that at about the same time. ;)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I got the hole shot, thank you very much.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
It is hard to say for sure but pic J3 seems to show the chain to tight. First thing to buy is a service manual. That will save you more money over time than anything else. A $40 chain chalked up to the "educational" fund is a lot cheaper than most of the problems a tight chain can cause. In addition to the things mentioned above it can also sack your rear wheel bearings. Good Luck.

Top Bottom