Flux3D

Aug 8, 2007
Ok this is a simple thing (or at least should be simple) but I am having a lot of trouble with it. I need to know how to take the chain off my bike so that I can clean it. I can find the master link thing but I have no idea how to get it off. Is there a trick to it or some special tool you are supposed to use??? Please help!

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
you can clean the chain on the bike with a brush and and a mild detergent, let dry and re-oil, do not power wash an o-ring chain and use a soft brush the o-rings are to keep in the grease and foreign objects out. to remove the chain the master link clip will slide off in the direction of chain travel (when the link is on top of the swing arm the clip will slide forward make sure it is reassembled that way so branches or rocks do not knock the clip off -closed end of clip is set at forward travel) hxxp://www.dansmc.com/clipdirection.jpg ----behind that clip is a link that slides outwards and then the link is removed here is a pic of the master link disassembled hxxp://www.powerscoots.co.uk/acatalog/CHAIN25link2sm.jpg
NOTE: replace the hxxp w/ http you can also -google- "master link chain" for some more images

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
if its an o-ring chain just make sure it won't ruin the rubber o-rings. car wash soap will work. If its a metal chain you can use whatever really. Basicly just use good judgment It's pretty hard to damage steel but easy to ruin rubber.

Clean all the guides and check for damage I also like to take the roller off every once in awhile as they tend to get frozen on there for some reason.
Make sure sprockets are tight and the teeth are not hook shaped. ya know just check things while your there. good luck

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I've always pressure washed my chains. I've never had any issues doing this. I usually replace the chain and sprockets 1-2 times a year (not because of the chain).

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
I'm not saying its bad to power wash a chain but if it is an o-ring chain you want to be careful is all, as you do not want to get water past the seals if it's not o-ring it really doesn't matter as long as it is thoroughly dry

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Someone said:
I've always pressure washed my chains. I've never had any issues doing this. I usually replace the chain and sprockets 1-2 times a year (not because of the chain).
If the chain is not worn out, why are you changing sprockets 1-2 times a year?

Top Bottom