Hyd. Clutch Blues-Hymec bleeding

tn_tuxedo

Oct 9, 2004
I tried bleeding my clutch like brakes. 2000 pumps later, nothing. So here I am.
I know there are threads telling how to perform this operation, but since the forums don't have a search feature and I don't have time to read through 380-some pages of threads, I'm asking for someone to tell me how.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
The best way is to use a syringe and force the oil in through the bleed hole till it fills up the master cylinder.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Make sure the adjuster screw is all the way backed out on the clutch lever.
If it is screwed in the m/c can't back bleed.
This detail has got me more than once.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I never "pump" bleed my master cylinder, (be it clutch or brake).(you bust a big bubble into thousands of tiny bubbles that are a pain to get out)!
I let it gravity bleed out, always making sure to never run out of fluid in the master cylinder!
Sometimes you gotta, "reverse bleed" as mentioned.
DRAIN the master cylinder, (keeps the mess down) and SLOWLY add fluid from the bottom with a syringe until ALL the tiny bubbles are gone.
Why do you have to bleed it??? It doesn't use fluid??? Where di it go????
When I first got my sons 01 KTM 125, it had no clutch, bleed it, used it, no clutch. Make a long story short, the "O" ring had made a groove in the cylinder wall, fluid was leaking by.
So if you bleed it and it goes, check that.
You do realize you can't use brake fluid right?? I had used hydraulic clutch oil from a car, (Jag I believe) but have had good luck with 5 wt fork oil.
Joe

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
A $3 syringe from a farm supply store, 6" peice of 1/4"OD nylon tubing, and a bottle of ATF.

You will never have good luck unless you fill from the nipple at the clutch bleed.
When the master is full and clear, twist the bleed nipple shut while you are still pushing in fluid.
Remove the tube and snug the nipple.

Buying a syringe from KTM would mean you can't find a farm supply store and have lots of money to waste.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
I had a syringe that I got from EVC for bleeding auto brake systems a long time ago.
It was great, would take the brake fluid without the plunger swelling.
I used it for everything, forks, brakes, a few bottom end flushings, anytime I needed to hold fluid.
It finally died, I've been looking for a replacement, but to no avail.
Will the farm ones handle brake fluid without swelling the rubber seal?????
Joe

CrazyMikey

Oct 15, 2004
Bleeding clutches/brakes

My clutch needed bleeding the other day, so I tied the clutch lever to the handlebars and left it overnight.

The next day it was as good as new, I do it to my front brakes all the time, it seems to let any buble back into the master cylinder.

cheers

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Hey mikey, You just pull your lever in to the bar tie it and leave it sit over nite? I guess its worth a try ,seems easy enough.But I dont see how it would let a air bubble traped down in the brake caliper escape.

mxracin

Sponsoring Member
Nov 23, 2003
If all else fails, it may be a small bubble in the banjo bolt at the lever. KTM banjos only have a single hole, and if that is pointing down you can get air trapped at the top. Take the bolt out, and make a mark on the bolt head where the hole is. Put it back in, tighten it, and see where the mark is. If it's pointing down, take it out and drill straight through. Now air can escape. I drilled a second hole straight through 90 degrees apart from the existing hole. Or you can just buy Honda banjo's which have 4 holes to begin with.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
joe28kdx said:
Will the farm ones handle brake fluid without swelling the rubber seal?????
Joe

I havn't had much trouble with them but it really doesn't matter. They only cost a couple of dollars.

joe28kdx

Sep 28, 2001
Cool bean and ham! :ride:
I'll have to pick a bunch up and keep them on hand!
I wonder if I'll be able to get one of those "Sire Power" hats while I'm there? :worship:
Joe :bang:
"GO fast! Shift, watch that rock. Around the tree, over the root, pass that clown, look how slow he's going. Is he in my class, no, too bad, at least I wouldn't be last! Hey. I feel pretty good today"!
CRASH ! :ohmy:
Curse, pick up bike, kick, kick, kick, kick, curse. Yep just another day at the races! :laugh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom