i loved her now i want to kill her

booyaa

Jun 19, 2006
hi , new to site but im here to find some one with the knowledge tofix my BIKE,i have a 2001 exc ktm its used for enduros etc and mx things were fine now i cant get her to run attall.
its had carb cleaned and set to book,fuel mix done,filter fine,new plugs,shaft seal done head and bearings checked , but all i get is a lot off smoke and no rev range any where then if i breath on the throttle she dies..help me help her :ride:

Last edited by a moderator:

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
thefirstquestionihavetoaskiswhatchangedbetweenthetimeitwasrunninggoodtonow anotherthingyoumightwanttodoisusepunctuationandpropergrammersothosereadingyourpostcanmakesenseofyourproblem

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
You two clowns ever think that maybe English isn't Booya's first language? :|

trakkerman

Nov 12, 2001
bsmith said:
You two clowns ever think that maybe English isn't Booya's first language? :|

You have a point...its possible, but seems very "messengerish".

Did Mully edit the original to read like that?

Where's that darn "hang my head in shame" smiley? :p

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
ahh, I didn't see the orginal then. Either way I was just going with benefit of the doubt on the 1st post.

Maybe Old English ;)

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
It sounds to me like the bike is flooded, i.e. too much fuel, maybe with an overload of fuel in the crankcase also. This is what makes the excess smoke, but then when you try to open the throttle the engine bogs because it is still cold, therefore it is unable to clear itself. ( All this is guesswork based on what friends KTM used to do). Perhaps the answer might be to remove the plug and push the bike around for a while in first or second gear with the throttle wide open, this should help to clear the excess fuel, and then attempt to start again. You might try starting without choke, and just nurse the engine for as long as you can in order to get it warmed up before opening the throttle. I suspect that the root of your problem is over rich jetting, if you know what the settings were before overhaul try rejetting to those rather than as per manual, but unfortunately it can be a little difficult to judge jetting when the bike won't run. Also don't forget to switch the fuel off before trying to clear the excess, and empty the float bowl. Hope this helps, good luck.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
trakkerman said:
You have a point...its possible, but seems very "messengerish".

Did Mully edit the original to read like that?

Where's that darn "hang my head in shame" smiley? :p

The only part I changed was the word BIKE in the first sentence. For a first post he has sure made an impression on me. WOW !! But, instead of nuking the post, like I normally would, I changed the one word and left it for you guys. :debil:

anthonysimo

Nov 18, 2005
Two things that are worth checking (seeing as the bike sounds like it dies at anything other than idle) 1. you said plug(S), have you tried more than one correctly gapped plug? Don't believe that just because a plug is new it must be perfect.
2 Check that the carbry and inlet manifold are correctly seated and not allowing air to leak past. Theory being that when you open up the throttle the leak increases killing the engine.

DirtDawger

Jun 24, 2000
Mully said:
The only part I changed was the word BIKE in the first sentence. For a first post he has sure made an impression on me. WOW !! But, instead of nuking the post, like I normally would, I changed the one word and left it for you guys. :debil:

Does that mean I can come out of hiding now?

booyaa

Jun 19, 2006
thanks,for the point on my punctuation etc.
Anyway the bike has been burning oil. when i measured it out , it had burned quite a bit.
The bike is now stripped down and the oil , has got through in to the chamber
so it looks like the seals .

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Also check the breather tube on the fuel cap isn't restricted, and the filter on the fuel tap. Personal experience on the breather tube. Took me a full carb strip down to work it out :coocoo:

Top Bottom