russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
i have a 1990 RM250,i was wondering if it is bebeficial,bad,or will make no difference if i use a iridium plug in it.
the plug number for the iridium plug is BR8EIX and the plug number on the regular NGK R plug is BR9ES.thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
russdaddy said:
i have a 1990 RM250,i was wondering if it is bebeficial,bad,or will make no difference if i use a iridium plug in it.
the plug number for the iridium plug is BR8EIX and the plug number on the regular NGK R plug is BR9ES.thanks

Personally I can't see a benefit to using them in a 2 stroke.

They cost quite a bit more than a BR9ES. So if you foul it, and you probably will, do you want to pay the extra cost every time?

russdaddy

Jul 23, 2007
lol the thing is I already have 2 haha i went to get the regular one the other day but they only had the iridiums i currently have the BR9ES in the bike i was just wondering if i'd get any power gains or if my bike would run better with the iridium plug.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The welding plugs(es) are not as good on top. A 125 you may feel it more than the 250, and probably never notice on a 500. If you do not run the engine on top, you will never tell the difference. Any high performance engine, with high compression, or one that is close to detonation, can and has knocked the ground strap off that very plug. There is no way I could justify spending the top dollar on a meteorite plug for a trail ride. The EV and EG are a fine, safe replacement.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I have never fouled a plug in my YZ125's or 250's, in the last three years, including slow riding with my daughters, and other beginner riders.

Of course, I have read, and followed, the advice of almost every jetting thread I've been able to find here. Very good stuff.

I have replaced a plug, just so I would have a fresh one to look at, but I am learning to look more at the piston and cylinder head. I usually figure that the engineers and testing teams that design and finalize the settings on the bikes I buy, are smarter & more experienced than I am. So I usually buy the recommended spark plug.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
SpDyKen said:
I have never fouled a plug in my YZ125's or 250's, in the last three years, including slow riding with my daughters, and other beginner riders.

Of course, I have read, and followed, the advice of almost every jetting thread I've been able to find here. Very good stuff.

I have replaced a plug, just so I would have a fresh one to look at, but I am learning to look more at the piston and cylinder head. I usually figure that the engineers and testing teams that design and finalize the settings on the bikes I buy, are smarter & more experienced than I am. So I usually buy the recommended spark plug.
Well said.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
A brand new 125, start it up, adjust the "idle" and let it sit for 5 minutes, it may foul the plug. You warm it up, and take it out and clear the engine, its fine. Even a brand new bike can come with issues. Now getting to the root of the problem means diagnosing and testing. But first you have to admit it may cost money to accomplish this, parts and tools. But, if you have issues paying for a lousy plug, how the heck are you going to buy whats needed to properly fix it, a shop manual to start with? The easy answer, and cheap usually prevail: adjust the premix and slap a b5es plug in it. (no such plug, but maybe you get the idea?) Just like Ken said! That iridium plug holds your best shot at not fouling, and not falling apart! But, for most, the EV and EG will work.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Yamaha includes alternate carb. jets with their 2-t YZ's, and provides detailed explanations of each circuit in their very thorough manual, also provided with the bike. But they cannot force people to pay attention and actually read this, and then do something.

Top Bottom