Jim Ferguson

Dec 18, 2000
I had a KLX last year. I thought it was a great bike. It's a trail/ off road bike. I wanted to do more MX and I'm heavy at 205 lbs.
I did the usual modifications with the new head pipe making the most difference. Low seat height, easy to start, very easy to ride.
I did see one guy ride one on a MX track very well. Excellent for a new rider.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I have had 3 of them and am contemplating buying number 4. . I only sold my last KLX because I got laid off and needed the money. The KLX is one of the most underrated dirtbikes on the planet and gets a bad rap from a lot of people. It is a little heavy and down slightly in power compared to the new generation of 4strokes, but it has enough power to hold its own in 90% of the trail situations you will encounter. For anybody over 160 lbs it needs to have stiffer springs front and back, but lots of bikes need that. If you are vertically challenged(short legs) it is an excellent choice. You can remove the factory restrictors from the muffler, airbox and crankcase breather and gain about 4hp for free. If you put a pumper carb and oversize headpipe on, the bike is transformed. The only bug in the mix is the KLX can be a bitch to start when hot or after a fall. A hotstart valve helps this problem. There is an excellent owners group at http://www.planetklx.com/, which has a lot of tech tips and a newsgroup that has a lot of knowledgeable people to answer questions. The KLX is an excellent bike with a couple of warts that can be easily fixed. I would highly reccomend it.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by penguin
The KLX is one of the most underrated dirtbikes on the planet and gets a bad rap from a lot of people.

you took the words right out of my mouth, thats spot on. i used to have one, and now i don't think ive ever ridden a dirt bike that handles as well as the KLX300. I would have one over a modified XR any day!

JimmyD2

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2000
I bought my KLX in March of this year after being bike-less for 15 years. I am VERY satisfied with my bike. I've had a chance to ride a number of other types of bikes as well (CR250, XR400, RMX250, etc...) and wouldn't trade mine for any of them. It is perfect for the type of riding I do - trail riding.

The advantages as I see them:

1. Lightest bike in it's class (XR,TTR,DR,DR-Z) I don't consider the KLX to be in the same class as the YZ-Fs, WR-Fs, CR-Fs, KTMs, etc. - in both the intended purpose and price range.

2. Easy to ride. Smooth power delivery (and plenty of power for me) and great handling

3. Upgradability (Is that a word?) This bike can get mean if you start talking to Stroker!

4. Reliability - except for the reported idler gear failures. (I haven't changed mine yet.)

This bike in stock condition is not gonna take you to many SX or freestyle championships, but you can ride it on the trails all day long on one tank of gas and still be ready for more... Like Penguin said, go to www.PlanetKLX.com and sign up for the KLX Yahoo! group. Tons of info there.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
hell ya, penguin and jimmyd said it all just had to say my klx has to b the most fun of any rec toy i own or have owned.stock or make it a bully it's a great bike. dc p.s. jimmy get that idler gear out of there

Mark Parsons

May 10, 2000
The KLX300 is a great bike! I was planning on getting a new CR450, but everytime I come back from a trail ride on my KLX I'm grinning ear to ear. It is very user friendly and mine always starts easy hot or cold even after a fall (starting technique is key though). A very under rated bike. People that don't have them don't realize what a good bike they can be (with a few, mostly inexpensive, mods).

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i like to ride hills, really steep hills, and this is one area that i thoght the KLX was suffering in. i found my old bike liked to lift the front too easy when on the really steep stuff, and when you are constantly shifting your weight back and forth, it can sometimes catch you off guard. did anyone else experience this on their KLX? this is one area the my WR250F is much better, but like i said, the KLX corners better!

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Had mine since they became 300's in 97, wouldn't trade it...and it's pretty much stock engine wise, with the cv carb. I'm having a hard time parting with 500 dollars for the pumper.

It lacks power for me lately, being 210#'s, but I think that keeps me out of too much trouble, gotta go back to that day job you know...

matt in Clovis

KLX300A5L

Feb 2, 2001
Buy the KLX,its'a great trailbike. Lightweight,handles great and very smooth tractable power that does NOT wear you out. And at a very affordable price.:)

ziggypop

Apr 24, 2001
I don't know what they are like to ride but somebody has one around here and has passed me in the tight stuff twice now:( that guy can haul on that little thumper, and I'm on a KDX which is no slouch in the tight stuff!!!

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
I have a '99 and my son has a '97. We have tried to find something better but cannot. We have ridden bigger bikes (KTM 520) and can run circles around them in the tight stuff. More power only means getting tired sooner, more wheel spin, and more apt to have the bike get away from you. Like I said, for the money and type of riding we do we can't find a better bike. Try it, you'll it!:)

Marklx

May 24, 2001
It's a great trail/desert bike. I just sold mine to buy a motocrosser ('02 RM250:) ) so I can give a little feedback on differences. When out on the trails with the klx, you can relax and get away with lots of sloppy stuff and make it. Very forgiving motor, and with a few $, the suspension works great in the tight stuff. If you want to go fast, it won't surprise or hurt you.

Thing is, I kept ending up on tracks, and the klx isn't terribly happy there. Had it working pretty well, and could do some serious speed on tight tracks, but it wasn't happy on faster tracks/big jumps. The lack of ground clearance and smooth power delivery just didn't work right on a track. Thus my decision to go with an mx'r. If I could've kept it, I would've, but spousal pressure sort of clinched the sale decision.

If you're comfortable with the need for a 4s trail bike, I don't think the value or performance of the KLX can be beat.

Mark
If trails are what you like, and the bike fits, you won't be disappointed.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
I bought mine in February after being out of dirt bikes for a long time. As Penguin and others said, you can't beat it for the money. Coolest part is you can ride it stock (but do the free mods since they're, well, free) and then amp it up as your skills improve. As someone on the KLX email group said, this bike will easily take you to a competitive B+ rider.

The only other thumper I'd consider is a KTM 400 E/XC, which is twice the price. Even that doesn't have a perimeter frame. That's saying a lot for the KLX.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Pumper carb on KLX

MCassle, if you still have a stock displacement engine you can get a Mikuni 33mm pumper carb kit for just $325. Got my White Brothers kit from MX South, a DRN sponsor, and highly recommend it if you want to give your KLX some real snap. If you do, make sure you have the Stroker headpipe since what goes in must come out...

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Re: YZ250F

The KLX is bulletproof and handles great. Regarding the 250F's, there have been way too many reports of broken cranks on these machines. In addition, to get the power out of the 250F you have to ride it like a 125 2-smoke. However, if you want to ride MX tracks on a 4 stroke then the 250F would be a better choice since it has the suspension for it (but if doing that then why not just get a 2-smoke?).

Contrast that with the KLX, which has smooth power from low to mid range, right where you need it doing offroad and trail riding. Not many people know it, but the KLX redlines at 11,500 RPM -- not too shabby. Way underrated and undermarketed by Kawasaki.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Re: Pumper carb on KLX

Originally posted by DougRoost
MCassle, if you still have a stock displacement engine you can get a Mikuni 33mm pumper carb kit for just $325. Got my White Brothers kit from MX South, a DRN sponsor, and highly recommend it if you want to give your KLX some real snap. If you do, make sure you have the Stroker headpipe since what goes in must come out...

That's exactly the problem with getting the pumper: it's just not the pumper by itself, but a whole host of expensive mods...such as headpipe...and who can have a new headpipe without an aftermarket exhaust? How about that hot start kit that is recommended with any pumper carb on this bike, etc. After it's said and done I've blown aorund 800 easy.

Word I get off of the KLX list is that the Mikuni is not the carb of choice anymore, the 35mm Keihin F.C.R. is now recommend by Stroker...who knows. All I know is that it's enough money for a down payment on a new bike.

One of these days I'll just take a second out on my house and get the 365 makeover :D

matt in Clovis

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Gee Matt, I don't know which list you have been reading. The FCR is no longer favored by Stroker for a stock displacement KLX. And they are now offering the Mikuni 36mm pumper again, when I talked to them last week they said that they had been having too many starting problems with the FCR, and I can verify that, since I have tried every carb available for the KLX. If you look at all the newer 4strokes they all come with an oversize headpipe stock, and the stock silencer with the butt plug removed works just fine. I can still buy a KLX, modify it and have less money invested than if I bought a brand new YZF. Half the fun is modifying a bike into something tailored just for me. I would do that with any bike I bought, I just prefer to do it to a KLX. to each his own. You still can't beat the fun per dollar ratio on the KLX.

Last edited:

TONYKX

Aug 27, 2000
I had most of Japanese thumper in the past twelve years,My worst one was
the KLX,Have to spend a lot money to keep up with other bike.The stock form
is the good beginer bike or all day trail riding.Not my type of thumper.
Tonykx

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
you would have been able to keep up if you just twisted the throttle a little harder :) If you get the technique down the KLX is a lot faster than people think. If you ride MX I might believe you, the KLX is not good for that. For tight technical terrain you can keep up with just about anything on 2 wheels. I have owned 3 of them and am getting ready to buy number 4, and I never felt like the bike was a snail.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
has anyone fitted a quarter turn throttle assembly? my friend did to my old KLX and it totally changes the way the bike feels. Give it a go if you haven't done it to yours!

Top Bottom