BigGreyS

Sep 16, 2001
Many replies on this subject. The KLX sounds like an outstanding trail bike. I am still looking but if I go for a trail bike it will either be a KLX or a KDX. The KLX sound like a great bike for the wife to start out on. Definatly will keep it in mind. Thanks.
:)

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
If you don't have enough money then you can stick a different carb on without too much hassle. I stuck a carb off a '88 XR250 on my KLX, which I got from a wreckers for NZ$20 (with our exchange rates US$325=NZ$750=ouch!). It fitted straight on, and once jetted it gave much the same power as the CV carb, without the hot starting problems.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
So what do we think of the WR250F? My friend is looking at geting the KLX or the Yamaha WR250F. Saving money is obvious, but what about overall? This bike seems real competitive.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Re: Re: Pumper carb on KLX

Originally posted by MCassle

That's exactly the problem with getting the pumper: it's just not the pumper by itself, but a whole host of expensive mods...After it's said and done I've blown aorund 800 easy.

If your smart you probrably saved alot more than that on the purchase price. Both new and used. prices on the KLX are a lot lower than the others.

Back to the first question, I get a new bike about every year.

I love my KLX 340 with all the goodies, It's the best all around bike I've ever ridden. Yes there are better bikes in individual catagories. But a modified KLX does pretty well in all catagories, and cost less to buy so you can modify it and still be money ahead with a great biike.

Last edited:

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Yep, agree with Scar tissue. You're going to end up modifying any bike you buy. Many of the same mods you'd do on a KLX you'd do on a WRF, too (bars, exhaust, skid plate, etc). On a KLX you probably want a pumper carb down the road. On a WRF you probably want the YZF seat/tank combo immediately (which costs as much or more than a Mikuni carb!).

But KLX's haven't had problems with broken crankshafts like those 250Fs, nor overheating. Both can be difficult to start when hot but the 250Fs are worse (Yamaha even provides a starting video now!).

In the end you're dollars ahead with the KLX since the cost of entry is so much less. The only reason I'd see to do a 250F is if you're racing MX against 125 2-strokes. Even then I think I'd rather have a YZ125.

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
i sold my 98 KLX 300 and bought a WR250F (standard with YZ seat/tank). I like it alot, and wouldn't sell it to go back to the KLX.
Dougroost, have you ridden one of these bikes? i was a bit shocked when you said you would rather race a 125.
The thing no-one has mentioned yet is that spending the dosh on your bike doesn' t really increase the value of the machine when time comes to sell. So you might spend a heap on your KLX and feel great because it still costs less than a WR, but its pretty much dead money.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
any money you spend, on any dirtbike, for any kind of go fast goodies, is dead money when it comes time to sell. The only way to come out is to take all the goodies off, put the stock parts back on. and sell them seperate from the bike. You need to have kept the original parts to do this, of course. Let's all just be thankfull that we can choose any kind of bike we want to ride in the dirt, and realize , the perfect dirtbike for you is not the perfect dirtbike for the next person.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Boozer, I have not in fact ridden a WR250F, nor does it appear I will be. Which is a shame since at one point I thought I wanted one. The great suspension, power, and relatively light weight sounded ideal on paper. And they looked so sexy on the showroom floor when I checked them out. But here's why I won't be riding one anytime soon. First, I have a couple riding buddies who had YZ250Fs and was going to ride them -- but they've all sold them! Second, Yamaha faithful like to talk about the KLX's weak idler gear, but for $85 and a half hour's time that's solved, while the 250F crankshaft failures are a serious issue. Thus, since my friends have all sold theirs and since I don't want to go anywhere near this crankshaft defect, I'm skipping over the 250F.

Several of my riding buddies have WR400/426Fs and they all love them and have kept them (though one is moving on to a KTM RFS). The 400/426Fs seem to be easier starting and haven't had the broken crankshafts like the 250Fs. I am going to take a turn on a WR426F later this month and can't wait. Again, haven't personally ridden them yet but I ride with these guys and have been observing first hand. Thus, for whatever reason, the 250F guys are all moving on while the rest of us are more content.

I have of course ridden 125 2-smokes, and the handling and slimness of the KLX was so similar that I was hooked. I also liked the KLX's lower seat height compared to the blue bikes (I'm 5'8"). The KLX has been enough bike to keep me very happy and help my skills improve -- with minimal total investment -- until I can afford the KTM RFS (which also gives e-start). Which was penguin's point, that there's no such thing as a perfect bike for everyone and it's great to have choices.

The point I was trying to make that started this was most of the mods people do to these bikes they'd do to any bike. You have to admit this is true -- handlebars, pipes, mufflers, suspension setups, and miscellaneous cosmetic/ergo things are personal mods and part of enjoying the hobby. I again agree with penguin that the only way to get your money back out of these mods is to return the bike back to stock and sell the aftermarket goodies separately.

JMarsa

Nov 30, 2001
More | WR250 v. KLX300

Hi, I'm the guy 'Asrith' mentioned earlier in the thread. I'm interested in more comments like 'Boozer's'. I sat on a KLX at a dealer the other day and it seemed very much like the KDX 200/220's I've ridden. About the only thing that really turned me off on the bike was the "valley" or "dip" the seat has just before the tank. I'm 6'2 200lbs and I could tell that although my weight would be just slightly past the centerline of the rear spring most of the time (which put me about 2" from the end of the seat) that the "valley" would certainly cause me to be cramped whenever I slid forward. So I looked into tall seat kits (Stroker has one) to remedy this.

My dilemma is this: It seems that I'll have about 1K in mods (tall seat, pumper carb, idler gear, and shift star kit) without even touching the suspension vs. what seems to be no other "mandatory" (meant lightly) mods to a '02 WR250F other than avoiding the crank failure feature.

Any thought's?

--JMarsa

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
with a little shopping around you can piick up a very clean 1 or 2 year old KLX and put $1000-$1500 in it and still be $1500-$2000 less than a YZF250. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike. I would do the suspension, seat and the idler gear, then ride the bike and add hopup parts to the engine as money and familiarty with the bike dictated. The stock KLX is a very competent trail bike and enduro mount with just the suspension mods, and carburetor and exhaust upgrades make it a surprisingly good woods weapon for amateur class competition. I presently have a KDX220 and my previous KLX would hold its own against the KDX in most situations. That being said, I like my new bike, but I am going to be looking for a clean used KLX to use as a backup. When I purchase my next KLX, it will be my 4th, I like the bike that much.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Originally posted by penguin
...If you look at all the newer 4strokes they all come with an oversize headpipe stock, and the stock silencer with the butt plug removed works just fine....

So, where do you put that now? :p Jk penguin....

Hey Matt, where are you riding that KLX? Miami Creek? What bikes have you ridden before the KLX, and how do they compare for the areas you ride in? I'm bikeless now, but can't stop shopping while I save my money. Last bike I owned was a '00 CR250, which never quite felt at home on the trails (Hollister Hills, Clear Creek, Miami Creek, and hare scrambles throughout N. CA). I'm currently sold on kTm 200's or 300's, but have yet to ride one extensively, and have always been curious about those KLX's (thanks, penguin, for opening my eyes here on DRN). Only 4 strokes I've ridden are an XR600 & XR200. The XR didn't seem to have much mroe power than my CR (hard to determine since power delivery was sooooo different), and the XR200 was pretty darn weak, though I had a lot of fun on it at Hollister.

One last question- Clawsons, or Wilsons?

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Hey Zio, I used to live in Bakersfield, so I'm used to riding at Gorman, Ballinger, various desert, Clear Creek, and I do some riding in Nevada around the Carson City area (best riding area out of those mentioned). I'm a family guy w/ 3 kids so I don't quite have the resources to have multiple bikes, or even blow a few thousand on the KLX to customize it...I envy you guys that can!

I hate all the bike shops in Fresno, I deal thru the local KTM shop in Bakersfield or, lately, just order stuff online.

Always looking to hook up for a ride, let me know when/where & I'm there.

matt in Clovis

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Re: More | WR250 v. KLX300

Originally posted by JMarsa
. About the only thing that really turned me off on the bike was the "valley" or "dip" the seat has just before the tank. I'm 6'2 200lbs ... that the "valley" would certainly cause me to be cramped whenever I slid forward. So I looked into tall seat kits (Stroker has one) to remedy this.
--JMarsa

Jmarsa.

If you really must know, I'm 6'3" 225lbs. and ride a KLX 340. That cramped feeling is easiest to fix on the klx.(somebody actually makes parts for it) You , as I do should feel cramped on most bikes. ( except larger open bikes. XR650'sor ktm 520. With the KLX I have the tall seat foam, 1 1/2 inch extended swingarm, stroker modified susp. and linkage, and bar risers. My seats' pretty flat now and I'm not cramped at all. Of course you don't have to do all of this. You just can.

TO ALL:

As to the debate betwwen the YZ/WR 250F and the KLX. I've ridden both the YZ and the KLX , Haven't ridden the WR. and liked both bikes. Honestly, money not being an object, I would buy the yz250f. It was just alot of fun to ride. I thought it was going tobe under powered, but it wasn't. The WR has wider gear ratios and I assume would bog down the motor for us big riders. (additionally, if money wasn't an object broken cranks and engine rebuilds shouldn't matter. ) I like my KLX and once modified, really have no complaints. In fact, since money does amtter to most of us. I wouldn't trade it. Just my $.02

RippinXR

Nov 9, 1999
Having spend some time on both a wr250 and a modded klx I can honestly say the yammie is a better machine. My buddies klx which I've spent several long rides on is excellent and I love riding it, stroker suspension, 36mm pumper, header, it is a great tight woods bike. However the wr250 is awesome right out of the box and the crank failures get more press out here than in the real world. I like to hate yamahas :p but was way impressed with the power, weight and handling of this machine right of the showroom floor. IMO, yamaha wins this match. However I wouldn't hesitate to recomend a klx to anyone. I agree with many of the original posts, a very underated bike.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Matt- so you're happy w/ the KLX in those areas, huh? That's good to know. And I'm new here, from Santa Cruz. So I haven't spent much time at either shop, only at Wilsons where I almost bought a kTm. Didn't care much for the sales staff. $600 or so for "set-up"? Forget it. I'd rather buy a crated machine. The salesman said they did most of the necessary new-bike setup stuff, like tighten all bolts/spokes, etc... lube bearings, swingarm etc... but $600? :silly:

JMarsa

Nov 30, 2001
RippinXR, scar tissue,

Thanks for the replies, your (and others here as well) input is just what I was looking for. Still undecided though...

--JMarsa

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Check out this review that just came out: http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/2001dec/klx300/. Good article on some of the points we've made here on the KLX. At the end they talk about pumper carbs, though you should also know that rather than spend $500 for an FCR you can get a Mikuni pumper carb kit from Stroker or White Brothers for $325 -350.

akc1955

Dec 3, 2001
I bought a 2000 KLX after twenty years without a bike and did the mods mentioned here: Stroker headpipe, pumper carb, idler gear, quicker throttle, revalved forks, hot start, etc. I really enjoyed the bike the first year, but then as my skills returned I felt that it was holding me back. My buddies were riding WR400 and 520E/XC four strokes and perhaps I was trying to compete with the big dogs too much. Anyway, I sold it and bought a KTM 300E/XC which was much more fun and capable right out of the box.

However, I plan on selling the KTM this spring and buying a CRF450R or a YZ250F because it's such a drag to always have fresh pre-mix on hand! I miss the four stroke sound, feel, power, etc. and in some ways I wish I had my little Kawie back! It wasn't a very good shifting bike (false neutrals) and even with the hot start kit it would throw a fit sometimes, but I rode it much more often than my two-smoke.

Regards,
Keith Cutler

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Curious why you wouldn't be considering the 426F instead of the 250F, especially since that's the CRF450's main target? My guess is weight and handling. Depending on where you are in Colorado, I'm also surprised you wouldn't go with more cc's to make up for the power robbing thin air at altitude.

akc1955

Dec 3, 2001
DougRoost,

You're right on target with the 426 weight issue. Also, at 5' 9" and 160 lbs, I feel like I ride on top of the 426. The 250 sounds more my size (weight wise), although my 520 E/XC friend says I'd never be happy with the smaller motor. I like riding my 300 E/XC better than his 520: it turns easier, lands much softer after jumps, is easier in tight places. Also, I'm sure that part of the equation is that I'd like something different from my buddies. That's the real strong suit of the CRF450R, although that's not the best purchase decision!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
akc1955, I'm 5'8" and 160lb and the high seat height on the blue bikes was not confidence inspiring to me. I've ridden a KTM 300 E/XC and was very impressed -- it's very tractable and has lots of power, though like you I wanted a thumper. Due to Colorado altitude, if I were you I'd really try and ride both the 250F and CRF450 before selling that 300 (I'm also guessing you ride MX tracks since that's what the CRF is set up for and Honda keeps denying they'll build an enduro version).

TONYKX

Aug 27, 2000
One more time,KLX is a play bike.YZ250f is a race ready bike.until the green one talk to high dollars stroker equipment(don't forget e-start kit,you'll need it after modification.).If you don't like it,the blue easier to sell.
tony

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
Some KLX questions.

Anyone know if my excel wheels from my KX500 will fit a KLX?

Are the stock bar clamps and top triple clamps mounted together? If I do get one, I would like to keep the stock triples and put different bar clamps on to hold a stabilizer.

What's the deal with the IMS tank and having to use the KLX250 shrouds? This is what they say in the IMS catalog.

I have a cool picture of what looks like a KLX300 motor in a older KX250 frame. Not sure where I downloaded it, but it is one cool looking bike. I also remember seeing for sale a KLX365 with KX500 forks and a KX250 rear. I'm really itching to going back to 4 strokes and I like what I read about the KLX300. I just plan on putting different carb on along with new pipe and free mods. Thanks.

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
Re: IMS tank and KLX250 shrouds

The IMS tank is larger so it uses the smaller KLX250 shrouds. I was looking at this combo for mine and understand these shrouds look very similar to KDX shrouds.

Top Bottom