Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
O.K. I wasn't going to get into this but here it is. First of all TonyKX or anybody else doesn't have the right to slam any other bike untill they have spent some time on it, not just one ride or one day. The WR250 may be a better bike in certain situations with a certain rider aboard, just as the KLX may be better in other situations. A friend of mine has a KTM520 and will kick my ass all day in the open stuff, but give me a tight woods trail on my STOCK KLX and watch out. Put Shane Watts on an XR200 and he'll kick all of our asses. Rider ability, as far as I'm concerned is 80% of the equation. I am a tournament archer and will beat most shooters with a $100.00 bow while they shoot $2,000.00 bows. I am also a skeet shooter and will beat $5,000.00 guns with my $200.00 gun. If you want to state facts about bikes, fine, but keep your unfounded opinions to yourself. The KLX is a GREAT bike. Period. By the way, I haven't had to replace the crank yet, nor do I know of any other KLX's that have. I'de rather be riding mine than telling people I have a dead one in the garage. Now I'm done.:D (anything to add Penguin???)

Submitted by me, the Dad, not the kid above.

KLeeneX300

Dec 4, 1999
A dead one in the garage? You must be talking about me. Who told you?;) As for the PENGUIN, he crossed over to the dark side. Got himself a 2-smoke:mad:

Ramski

Feb 6, 2001
I for one am currently in the market for a KLX. I am looking for a great trail bike that is not a handful like my 500. I've looked at the XR's, but thay are just a little too heavy. I am going to miss my 500 when it comes to those long sand washes, but will love the smooth power of a 4 stroke on the tight trails.

I was suprised how well the KLX can do in MX. I saw a guy flying on one and looked much faster than anyone on the track one day. I have seen Kelly Yancy beat a lot of good guys on this so-called girl bike also.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
As for the PENGUIN, he crossed over to the dark side. Got himself a 2-smoke

Maybe not after this weekend. look at my post on the KLX group at yahoo. I might make my son ride the KDX and I will commandeer his YZ426.:scream:

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Originally posted by Uechi45
I am a tournament archer and will beat most shooters with a $100.00 bow while they shoot $2,000.00 bows.

i too am a toxophilite, what sort of bow do you shoot? oh, and i seriously doubt you will beat most archers who shoot $2,000 bows with your $100 bow at tournaments!
there are a few of us in here who have owned both (such as myself), and i feel that we are the ones that should be listened to. I had my KLX for almost one year, and my WR for 8 months. Who else here has owned both?
the broken cranks on the WR don't happen on every second bike. look at the post regarding this issue and there are three people who have had problems. out of every member in the world that posts here (almost 11 thousand, god knows how many YZ/WR's), only three people have had problems and its usally the first models that left Japan.

Last edited:

TONYKX

Aug 27, 2000
O.K. I wasn't going to get into this but here it is. First of all TonyKX or anybody else doesn't have the right to slam any other bike untill they have spent some time on it, not just one ride or one day. The WR250 may be a better bike in certain situations with a certain rider aboard, just as the KLX may be better in other situations. A friend of mine has a KTM520 and will kick my ass all day in the open stuff, but give me a tight woods trail on my STOCK KLX and watch out. Put Shane Watts on an XR200 and he'll kick all of our asses. Rider ability, as far as I'm concerned is 80% of the equation. I am a tournament archer and will beat most shooters with a $100.00 bow while they shoot $2,000.00 bows. I am also a skeet shooter and will beat $5,000.00 guns with my $200.00 gun. If you want to state facts about bikes, fine, but keep your unfounded opinions to yourself. The KLX is a GREAT bike. Period. By the way, I haven't had to replace the crank yet, nor do I know of any other KLX's that have. I'de rather be riding mine than telling people I have a dead one in the garage. Now I'm done.:D (anything to add Penguin???)

Submitted by me, the Dad, not the kid above.

Uechi45,you are right.U have to ride extensively to be able to to tell more on individual bike and rider ability is the factor.But most of us will ride better everday that we swing our leg on it,and we will want it more.That why I got rid mine,and happy I did it .Not a PROOF ,but honestly,that time it only me that ride Klx in the whole circuit,and wonder why nobody buy them. And now somebody told me that Suzuki will join with Kawasaki.What would will happen next ?
tonykx

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
...The KLX is a GREAT bike. Period. ...

Short and sweet and I agree. I've been riding longer than I'd like to say and I have never had as much fun on the KLX than any other bike before.

For a woodser, it is one of the best buys out there. Usually you can find one 1-2 years old with all the usual mods already done for about a grand or more cheaper than a stock new one. Then you add a few personal mods and you have a bike tailored for you that didn't kill your wallet.

I've had so much fun with mine that I decided to dual sport it so I can ride to more places with it.

If you want to race MX get a 2-smoke or RFS, The KLX is happiest in the woods.

RippinXR

Nov 9, 1999
Tony KX, are you sure you owned a KLX? No e-start needed for a heavily modded KLX unless you've got a bad mechanic or your a bad mechanic. I've yet to ride a 4stroke that didn't have a ritual, and most owners have it down to a science. I start my xr first kick, most others can't in 20. BTW, Good cast with the playbike comment, you hooked a two fish on one hook.

Uechi45/RM80kid time to spend some time on a WR250. Lifes to short to get that riled about a post on a public BBS. If you'd ridden one you'd realize the wr250 is more of what you love about your klx. It's light, nimble, has the power of a modded KLX and the suspension is real good out of the box.

Uechi45, your right about the rider. Our gang swaps bikes all the time the fastest guy is still the fastest guy regardless of what he's riding.

A closed mind is a terrible thing to waste. :D

Now Ramski about that heavy xr comment.... LOL

Don

thumper1

Jun 8, 2000
klx 300

Well has anyone else had problems with the valves? I have a klx300 98 & the valves have been adjusted twice and now need replacing. Was told it will cost 400. Is it worth it?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The KLX engines have notoriously poor quality valves that fail quickly when run at consistently high rpm. Replacing them with stainless steel valves is a worthwhile upgrade. www.blackdiamondvalves.com is one of the good sources for replacement valves.

RippinXR

Nov 9, 1999
Valves on all 4 strokes should be adjusted frequently. Not doing so will cup the valves. Not sure what the frequency is on the KLX but I check mine a couple times a year.

It's worth learning how to do it yourself. The first time takes a little longer but after that it's easy. $400 is very high just to replace the valves, is there any other damage?

don

thumper1

Jun 8, 2000
On that klx300. There was no other damage & I was wondering about that price tag of 400. myself. I was also told by the mechanic that when I replace the valves that it will only last another 2 years & will need replacing again & that is usisng the steel valves. Is he pulling one over on me?

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
As I posted on the KLX email list, stainless steel valves can be had for WAAAY less if you go to KMPI, who was making them for Stroker, too. Apparently Kawi saved a few $$ by not using SS valves and they will begin to cup (same problem as their Ninja street bikes). KMPI is at 650-359-4704.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
thumper1,

yep, my valves have been replaced. But I abuse my bikes and kind of expect some maintaince problems. I believe www.stroker.com even addreses his issue with the KLX,.

JMarsa

Nov 30, 2001
What's wrong with them?

I'm curious what's wrong with your valves? It sounds like you have had annual maintenance on the bike (having had them adjusted twice). Is this common for four stokes? I'm looking towards a new purchase, and this is something I need to consider.

--JMarsa

Eric82930

~SPONSOR~
Oct 26, 2001
berilium valve seats.

I have had stainless valves in my KLX for a year of dessert racing and the valves have tightened almost .020". Now I check them alot more often. I am almost to the smallest shims made for the intake side. Stroker told me that even with the stainless valves, that wear on the seats is a problem because of the incompatible metals. They said berilium valve seats would be the way to go. I have quit racing so i don't have to rev the bike as much and I'm hoping theese valves will last a while longer.

Uechi45

Dec 11, 2000
My KLX is a 97 and i bought it used. Suposidly nothing has been done to the motor and i ride at least 2 times a week and the valves are still perfictly adjusted. I used to ride 2 strokes so i rev the crap out of it, so im suprised nothing has happened to mine at all after what you guys have said of what has hapened to yours.

Maby they lied and they did go in the motor and change the valves :think

By RM80kid

BigGreyS

Sep 16, 2001
This post sure grew. 67 posts. Looks like I touched on a subject that had much interest. I still am interested in a KLX. The bike sounds like a good overall bike (that looks good too.)

:)

thumper1

Jun 8, 2000
I take great care of that bike. Got some mods done & kept up on maint. I ride 2 or 3 times a week, 2-3 hours without a break each ride out. Mostly sand riding. I ride hard to keep up with the wr400 but its not to hard to ride their back tire through woods and tight trails. I love the bike except for the valve problem which all in all the bike is so sweet it may be worth a little trouble...after all if you want to play...

One Dollar

Mar 15, 2001
I'm not experiencing any valve problems. Have over 2500 miles on and had one valve adjustment as part of standard maintenance. Intake was right on and only exhaust was out of spec a little when they were adjusted.

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Hey, the KLX is really quite a good bike. I have never been so comfortable on any motorcycle, but then again I might be a little biased. (and i don't step foot or tire on a mx track):silly:

P.S.- If Kawi would just give us the ebutton, I bet even mx action would rave about it for a few months.

thumper1

Jun 8, 2000
Still thinking

I am seriously considering selling the klx300. Its hard to decide cuz it does have a lot of good qualities. As long as I keep riding it hard like a 2 stroke I will be forever changing the valves. It also hurts the wrists & ankles when you bottom out. The height & power is perfect for my size!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
You should be able to stiffen up the suspension so it does not bottom out hard. I weigh 225lbs and get some serious air on occasion and with .46 front and 6.0 rear springs, my bike never bottomed hard.

Top Bottom