Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm trying to determine if I should buy this 2005 KDX 220.

I like everything about the bike on paper, not having rode one yet.

This particular bike I'm looking at is a 2005 220 and just had the top end redone with a new sleeve and a wiseco piston. The only issue with the bike is that the front brakes aren't working due to a missing reservoir cap his buddy 'borrowed' from him.

Other than that, it has Pro Taper fat bars, and a new rear tire. It looks really good from the pics they sent.

We're looking at $1250, but I need to decide by tomorrow.

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Last edited:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Yes, that would be a good price assuming everything is there and everything but the front brake works. You can rebuild the front caliper and brake master cylinder for under 100.00. Check the crankcase oil for signs of water and look underneath for signs of abuse. A dented pipe can be fixed, but that will effect your power. If the pipe is dented bad, figure about 250 for a new aftermarket pipe. Plastic is spendy so look at that as well. The rear tire is worth somewhere between 60-90.00, the top end depends on what they did, pro tapers are worth about 80. Brake rotors are about 60.00 so spin the wheels and look for warped or bent rotors. Give it a good ride and see if you can feel any issues with the engine or transmission. Good luck with it, I wish they sold that cheap around here. I ended up paying 900.00 for my 94 kdx200 because of the limited kdx market around here.

davide88

Aug 25, 2008
I recently picked up an '02 for $1300 which had low hours and pretty good care. Sounds like a fair deal to me. As already noted, check all fluids and the air cleaner. (They can tell you a lot about use and care.) Ride it and get through all the gears, paying attention to how the transmission and engine operate and sound. Have fun! (I'm a newer rider, and love the KDX!)

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks alot for the info. I'm probably going to check it out tonight.

It does have a FMF powercore 2 muffler and what looks like a FMF knarly pipe with some dents in it.

What kind of powe rhit would I notice with the dents in the pipe? If it's like 5 hp less...I don't really care.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Depends on the dents and their locations. If they are small you won't notice much, but if it looks like it was laid over on a rock you will need a new pipe.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Dang, if I was at home I could post a pic of the pipe from both sides.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
no worries about the pics, did you get the bike? If the pipe is bad, it gives you a chance to tune the engine using a different pipe. Just ask for a bit off of the price if you can.

glad2ride

Jul 4, 2005
$1,250?! That is VERY cheap. Unless the pipe has a huge dent. it will make very little difference, especially the farther away from the engine it is.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
The dent isn't that bad. He say's it starts first kick everytime and has owned it since 10 miles on the bike. It's the gold series fmf

I'm definitely going to buy it, soon as I can get there. Sounds much better than my DRZ400 for the trails.

foots

Aug 20, 2003
Ryan_V said:
The dent isn't that bad. He say's it starts first kick everytime and has owned it since 10 miles on the bike. It's the gold series fmf

I'm definitely going to buy it, soon as I can get there. Sounds much better than my DRZ400 for the trails.

You'll get spoiled quick

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Update-

I bought the bike last night. It's not exactly cherry, but I really like the way it rides and feels...super light

Overall the bike is in great shape. It has a renthal chain and Fredette racing chain guides, so that was a cool surprise. It does need some TLC though however.

I ordered about $110 in parts last night when I got home including OEM side plastics,clutch lever,front brake resevoir diaphram,throttle cable cover,clutch housing gasket,front chain case protector...

The only issues that I see that need to be addressed are the FMF expansion pipe has a good dent. Check out the pic.

The main issue is that a couple times the clutch lever would stiffen up on me, and then it acted like it was bound up and wouldnt come out of gear. I'd kill the bike then restart it and the clutch lever would loosen up, but I could hear a strange noise from the clutch side everytime I pulled the clutch lever. I did pull the cover last night, but I coudln't tell what to look for. Didn't see any shavings in the oil.

You can see it looks like something might be rubbing against the clutch disc housing thing, and check out the clutch cover. You can see theres a weird wear mark near the oil sight glass thing on the inside.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/IMGP1277.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/IMGP1278.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/IMGP1279.JPG

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/202062/IMGP1280.JPG

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Good clean bike. I wouldn't worry about that dent.

Looks like the clutch was reassembled incorrectly. I'd find an exploded view of the plate stack and make sure everything is in the right order.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I found my issue...the clutch hub main nut is loose!!

This was allowing the entire clutch basket to slide out about 1 centimeter and contact the inside of the case cover.

Wow..58 ft lbs here I come....

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Cool, I didn't think I could link to pics on this forum. I'd rather do that than post img html and useup site bandwith anyhow.

So without a special tool 58ft lbs is impossible to achieve by hand on that hub nut.

Guess I'll have to hit it with the air tool in the morning.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Super that you found the problem! Since most people live "I don't know," I can tell you that $1250 for a running 05 KDX, in that condition, is a frickin steal anywhere in the southern midwest.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I hit the clutch hub nut with the air tool this morning. Just a little blip basically..

I rode the bike to the park down the road this morning before work, and it seem's to be good to go now. I really do like this bike. :)

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Added a KX450 fender, fixed the front brake, and did a bunch of other stuff.

QSECE-IMGP1318.JPG

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks!

I found some other issues. I noticed the o-rings in the chain are cracking, so it needs replaced. The rear sprocket has two of the allen head bolts kinda damaged so 8mm wont fit in the holes...thats gonna take some work to fix

And the fuel petcock hose is dry rotted....bummer

Not to mention it looks as though someones had the cases split already once before, and it seeping a slight amount of gear oil.

I've already rigged up a front expansion pipe mount by using a piece of the old upper mount and some jb weld...which worked perfectly.

and the lower hole for the countershaft chain coer was stripped out so I had to tap that out which was a PITA!

Man...I'm gonna have to restore the entire f-ing bike.

I wonder if I should sell it, and buy one of those low hour, like new bikes off someone...

Any thoughts?

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I just changed the plug, and took the carb off to clean it out, and the moron stripped two of the bottom carb screws so I can't get the bowl off!

Man...unbelievable..

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
The bike is running much better now with a br8es plug opposed to the br7es that I took out.

Found another issue though..apparently the brake was disabled because the front caliper is seizing up. Anyone know where to find a rebuild kit..

Last edited:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Ryan_V said:
The bike is running much better now with a br8es plug opposed to the br7es that I took out.

Found another issue though..apparently the brake was disabled because the front caliper is seizing up. Anyone know where to find a rebuild kit..

I've got the caliper of my 94 if it will fit. It works well, otherwise you might check with denniskirk or chaparral or motosport to see what you can get for it.

Sucks when the previous owner learned to wrench on a Chevy, then they don't know how to work on something that requires more than a hammer and a rock.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom