Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I don't know if your 94' caliper will fit..is it a two piston caliper? If so it might fit.

I removed the caliper and I can't get the screw out that I'm assuming holds everything in. The base manual doesnt cover the dual piston caliper.

No time for any hybrids! hahah

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
I got the caliper apart. Had to use a impact screwdriver, but its apart.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
The caliper had a stuck piston and needed new everything, so I bought a caliper off Ebay as a quick fix.

The bike is running WAY better now with some TLC.

The bike feels great. I can fling this bike around which I can't really do with the DRZ400.

rompnstomp

Jun 1, 2004
Hang in there. So far you've handled someone else's neglect very well. Don't be surprised if a few more gremlins appear, but these are mostly minor details that can be readily fixed. Even if you dump another $200 - $300 into it you're still coming out ahead with a great bike that you've worked on yourself...the advantage being that you know everything that's wrong with it and what all stuff is new.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I agree you got a good deal, but doesn't it make you made someone would take the resevor cap off and tell you thats all it needs while knowing good and well the front caliper is screwed!!

I went to look at my 98 and the guy was asking 1200 bucks I looked it over real good and seen it was pretty raged out and told him I'd give him 700 bucks, he said 800, I said call me next week if you change your mind, he said well I guese 700 is ok.

I like that Hammer and rock ... maybee there is an aptitude test that we can send perspective sellers via email so we know if we want something they have owned.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Well, I just sold the bike. Mainly due to my wife having my 3rd baby, and not having enough time in general to go riding at this point in time.

I decided to get rid of the bike before any other gremlins appear, cut my losses, and then hope to find a low mile kdx200 or 220 sometime next year.

It's been fun, but I'll be back. The KDX definitely is a great bike for the money.

Ryan

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah it looks good (I spy your and in austin craigslist) I would have been all over that 2 months ago but mine was 1/2 cost.
you should have kept it there is now way your finding one younger than the one you had

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Ryan_V said:
Hi everyone, I'm trying to determine if I should buy this 2005 KDX 220. Ryan
Two months later:
Ryan_V said:
Well, I just sold the bike. Mainly due to my wife having my 3rd baby, and not having enough time in general to go riding... Ryan
I guess the correct answer would have been "don't buy it." ? :think:

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
It's kinda one of those deals where you buy a turd and have to polish the crap out of it for it to be nice again. Been there done that, ain't doing it again.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Wow, so it's only been 4 mths and I'm back to looking at another KDX> wtf is wrong with me. I'm jonesing real bad for some offroad action..

Anyhow, this time I think the bike is MUCH better.

2001 KDX with under 20 hrs on it for $1500 bucks!! I think it's a deal, so I'm going to pick it up tomorrow.

I figure I owe it to myself, but after I get buyers remorse I'll sell it to oen of you guys. :)

Here's what she looks like.

http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?folder_id=2081883

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The correct answer is, once again, "don't buy it".
Your main responsibility is towards your wife and children, dad.
You don't owe it to yourself, you are a father and a husband, anything you owe is to your family at this point.
You seem pretty sure you'll get buyer's remorse. That alone should tell you what you should do.
You know what the right thing is, now go do it.

porterdog

Aug 22, 2005
mudpack said:
The correct answer is, once again, "don't buy it".
Your main responsibility is towards your wife and children, dad.
You don't owe it to yourself, you are a father and a husband, anything you owe is to your family at this point.

That might be a little stiff, or it might be right on. You gotta decide for yourself if Mudpack's right.

As far as the bike goes, it looks good if you come down on the "I can afford this.." side of the decision.

Ryan_V

~SPONSOR~
Sep 10, 2008
Mudpack makes some good points. Kinda sound's like my father in law...but he's knows I work hard for what we have.

There's alot that happens in the space between the lines.

I did buy the bike, and I will enjoy it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
wow looks like a clean one mine is all raged out looking but I try to keep the mechanical side of things good.
I just got back from 2 days in the rut, root riden mud with only one issue the front brake seems to be going away I will look into it and see if I need a rebuild kit for the front master cylinder.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom