bubbasimms

Dec 4, 2010
Hello,
I have an old JR 50 thats been in the family for years, starting with a nephew thats now 22. A few years ago it was getting a little tired so I figure after almost 30 years the little guy could use some new rings. I tore it down and everything looks good so I just ordered some new rings and gaskets. When I was installing them I broke one of them and put the little bike to the side because I was frustrated and didnt have anyone to ride it anyway. Well now I have a little boy that can ride it so I ordered another set of rings. I remember initially being confused as to which ring went where. If memory serves me right one of them was thicker or different in some way than the other. So, before they come in my question is which ring goes where. Is the thick one the oil ring that goes on the bottom?

bubbasimms

Dec 4, 2010
OK, thanks
They are oem Suzuki rings, Not thicker i guess, but I thought I remembered one of them having a little corrugated springy thing with it.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
that spring goes under the bottom ring as an aid to sealing but is not an oil ring as such because you are working on a 2 stroke so no oil in the sump.
If you look at the rings end on you may find they are a different profile with a taper on the top of the top ring. As a general rule the writing on the ring goes to the top and since you have a spring your bottom ring will probably be thinner in depth to fit. I believe different years had different shapes of rings so you need to check the rings do fit into the grooves and as you assemble you must make sure the end of the ring lines up properly with the ring stopper in the piston as they can become half in and then jam partly over the ring stopper

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I checked a set of PW rings laying around. The top one has a chamfer on each outside edge, and does appears thinner. I assumed the JR is the same. The square edged ring goes on the bottom. But, you are explaining a four stroke ring? Even the parts micro fiche for a '95 looks normal/no oil wiper? And 20 years ago I thought they were normal?

Top Bottom