mika

Sep 9, 2004
Hello !
I bought a KDX 200 and would like to know couple things?

1. How many watts does it give from the original light coil?

2. the rear sprocket from kx 250 goes to kdx but how about the front sprocket....is there in any other kawasaki models a sprocket that goes in kdx . ( in finland there is not so many KDX, so it is easier to get parts to KX from othet dirtbikeshops)

3. how about rims ? can i but complete wheels from kx to kdx or is there some problem with some parts....... ( would like to have extra set of wheels for wintertyres)

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yeah. 'About' 35 watts. Well...add another 10W and you've got it by jove!

The stock lighting coil (US) puts out 45W. Note that is an AC voltage...not DC. Well, on US dirtbikes anyway. Your bike may well be different. Aren't overseas (non-US) bikes different in a number of areas? Some have oil injection, some have batteries and are 'street-legal' off the showroom floor.

I know of no direct replacement/substitution for KDX wheels.

For one thing, a KX will be a 19" wheel for the rear. Not that that is a problem for the substitution part of things.

KXs don't have odometers, so the odo drive on the KDX would have to be dealt with.

You can pick up wheels from time to time on yabe. I got a rear wheel lately for my 'H' model ...Just over $200US. Not a great deal, but not horrible, either. It is a nice straight wheel.

Wibby just got a rear wheel for his 'E' ticket ride from the same place. It was cheap!

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I am speaking for the coil on my 92' 200. It was tested and it came out at about 35 true watts. If you need further information on this call Ricky Stator I did. He says the rating on most lighting coils sold is calculated with a formula and it is not exactly represenative of the actual coil output.

Jim

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Can't argue with that.

I will clarify. The oem 'H' model lighting coil is supposed to put out 45W. The 'H' model KDX has a 35W (I think...I haven't had an oem lightshell for along time) front and a 10W tail. The oem lights do work with the oem coil.

Any coil's output will vary based on it's construction. How tightly a coil is wrapped is crucial to it's output capacity. You can increase the capacity of the oem coil simply by re-wrapping it on the original poles.

If you're looking to add anything in the way of a dual lamp shell, the oem coil isn't likely going to cut it.

Bigger is not better. If you need 70W, buying a coil/stator setup that will run 130W is not a wise choice.

razrbakcrzy

Aug 12, 2004
I agree with that they do work but they work marginally. The only reason I even speak on this is because of the work I did on the current bike my son is driving. While adding the bajadesigns lighting kit. I found that I could either loose the bike for up to (2) weeks waiting on the coil to be rewound by Bajadesigns or I could buy a moose 75 watt lighting coil and never be with out the bike.
I went with the moose coil, after getting the coil and installing it I found out that the kit pulls a true 70 to 75 watts and the coil does not put out a true 70-75 watts thus leaving you with a drained battery if you ride intown (using blinkers, lights, tail light and brake lights) at night for a prolonged time. I then learned about led brake/tail light replacements. These use considerably less wattage than a 1157 bulb. There by correcting my charging problem. I now have a functional lighting system on this bike.

Jim

P.S canyncarvr, I love a good debate!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Please consider the following:

There is more to the KDX generator (as they refer to it) than the coil. That round thingy that flies past the coil is critical. I don't recall anyone talking of taking a gauss reading from the flywheel when it comes to figuring current output.

Drop your flywheel a bit or smack it a few times during a less than happy removal and you will likely find that you magically lost some watts when you get the thing back together (if your bike starts at all).

If you have a battery then you probably have a rectifier (as opposed to the oem regulator)? There's some disappearing amps for 'ya!

mika

Sep 9, 2004
Good morning (from finland) and thank you for your answears!
I got a answear to my questions :
1= light coil is giving about 45 Watts, and if i change the rear lamb 10 W bulp to a smaller i can use in front 2 * 20w halogenspots ok!
Yes: In finland or other european countries KDX is not street legal . Italy is only european country where KDX is street legal, so in italy there is propably battery and blinkers in kdx..
In finland kdx is probably the same model as sold in American markets.
2= does anyone know about the front (chain)sprocket, is there in any other kawasaki-model the same chainsprocket?
(the rear is same in KX , i found out)
In finland it s a bit difficult to get parts for KDX from dirtshops
because kdx is rather rare bike in finland .....older models (175cc) there are some twenty still kicking,
but new models 200/220 are rare. My bike is only one sold in 2003 and there is not any 2004 models sold , so it is easier to get parts if you know some other model where there is a similar part
3= wheels,,,yes i have to get me for to try a KX wheel and study if it is possible to mount it with small customizing,,,because i would still use the original wheels at summer time.......
well i got one extra question ?
stiffer springs to frontfork ??? is there in any other models (KX) springs that would fit directly to KDX or are the springs in all dirtbikes possible to switch from bike to another bike?? can i buy stiffer springs from for example KTM dealer and but them in KDX ?? ..... How about original "Kawasaki" springs does the dealers have any stiffer original spring to offer ?? i weight about 95 kg ( is it aroud 200 lbs ?) and i am 183 cm (6'1) tall
so what kind of LBS-values should the spring have ...
well thanks again !
Mika

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
you can put Honda XR 400 springs in your KDX with some slight modifications. Do a search and you will find a wealth of information about this....

Here is a site regarding changing springs with the Fredette models... there are plenty of references here for the differences in the XR models.(you need to use a different preload spacer I believe)

http://www.dishers.com/hobbies/Repairs/Index.htm

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If you can get ahold of an LED lamp for the rear you will get back most of those 10W the regular filament takes. That should make you good-to-go for 2 x 20W in the front.

I'd think you would be much better off getting a chain by specification as opposed to by make/model/year. You need a 520 chain. The oem KDX200 chain is not an O-ring. You could order a DID, RK or any other chain brand you wanted in any flavor (o-ring, x-ring, no ring) and it would work just fine. You need 108links for the oem 13/47 final gearing setup. 110links if you run a 50tooth rear. With a chain breaker you can easily take off a couple links if you have to.

I don't know of all the cross referenced bike sprockets that fit what. I know some yamaha sprockets fit the front of the KDX..the YFM350 (Warrior quad anyway..I think that's the Yamaha model) for example. The rear might be tougher to match up different make/model/year ways. Same goes for sprockets as chain. Renthal (for example) and many other aftermarket sprocket folks make stuff for the KDX.

I don't know what outfits like RockyMountain can do for your. If they ship overseas, THAT would be a great resource for you. http://www.rockymountainmc.com

re: springs

Consider the following:

From CDave (3-3-03):

It’s the 1996-99 0.38kg/mm XR400 springs that are interchangeable and commonly used in 1995 to 2003 KDX200/220s.

From racetech’s site:
'96-99 xr400r 43mm Showa .38
'00-02 xr400r 43mm Showa .40

'H' model kawi spec:
'00 200 KDX 43mm KYB .35

If you are looking for springs you can order them from anyone you want if you know you need something that fits in a 43mm KYB fork. Notice the XR forks are Showa...but they are still 43mm.

So, 43mm diameter and length not to exceed (about) 530mm or so. The XR springs run around 530mm, and that's about as long a spring that will fit in the KYB fork on the KDX.

In any case, figure your preload to fit you and your bike. Use something like schedule40 PVC pipe to make your required preload spacer.

You could take a look at: http://www.buykawasaki.com

Look for different rate springs that fit the 43mm diameter part.

Your probably after something around a .40/.42 spring. The rate that will suit you best depends on a whole lot of stuff other than your weight. What you ride in (conditions) and how you ride are important factors.

You can run your weight and style thru a spring choice selector program like RaceTech has. Their suggestions seem to be on the stiff side, imo. They'd probably come up with at least .44s!

Good Luck!

Top Bottom