bike'r steve

Apr 1, 2002
what is the difference's between the kdx 250 and the kx 250 models other than a lighting coil?? will a light coil from a kdx fit a kx?? are the motors and suspension interchangeable? same power? anyone ride both? and which did you prefer and what type riding?? what would be best for open desert? riding at night would be a plus. TIA!

sorry for the double post,but new to site and didnt see the kdx only section till after i posted it in the cr,rm,kx section

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
The KDX 250 motor is basically an 88 KX motor with a heavier flywheel weight and milder porting. It has more low end power than the KX. There some parts that are interchangable, and with a little work it can be turned into a great bike. ;)

A KDX BUZZ

Jun 10, 2001
i was wondering the same-thing (parts interchangeability)
especaily the rear shock, and swing-arm. does the kx have stronger rear shock/ spring? & will it fit kdx?

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
It's a completely different, much cheaper rear shock. The KDX also has a shorter swingarm than the KX, part of the reason it's so wheelie happy. The swingarms don't interchange without some work.

Racinante

Oct 3, 2001
I bought a KX planning to ride only woods. I assumed it would be a more durable bike than a KDX (plus I got a killer deal on one). According to Spanky 250 I guess I could be right. But recently I've been wondering about the gearing. Speedy is saying what I think I wish I had.

I'm getting ready to have it rebuilt by Eric. Due to flow through crank seals, I had zero low end, and steep trails were impossible. Eric's gonna put more low end in it, but should I think about changing the sprockets to lower the gearing? Or, would my top gear be too low (due to the close ratio)?

Plus, will a lighting coil from a KDX fit my KX if I want to shine at night?

BTW Spank, thanks for all your help last fall!!! :aj:

Racinante

Oct 3, 2001
Almost forgot!

Is the air box any different i.e. letting you go through deaper water? I'm about two wheels shy of being just like everyone else I ride with.

Top Bottom