Tom A.

Nov 2, 2005
We've got about 5 KDX's among our regular riding group, and the adults responsible for 3 of the bikes are considering a switch from 32:1, to 50:1 pre-mix based on the recommendation of 2 separate Amsoil distributors. We both run Dominator, and would continue to do so. They both claim we would get cleaner low to mid range carburation with no loss of protection.

Were both too chicken to take the plunge and are waiting for the other to try it first. I thought I would check here to see if anyone has tried it, and what result you've had.

Thanks.

breezeair

Feb 8, 2006
I have never run 50:1, but I did run 40:1 for a long time. I thought I had the bike jetted pretty good and was very happy with the performance. I switched to 32:1 and the jetting cleaned up a little and the bike really ripped. No spooge and more pease of mind.

krazyinski

Feb 2, 2006
in the hot weather I run 40:1 when it cools off I run 50:1. BUT!!!!
I change my jetting as well because more oil = less gas = leaner running condition, less Oil = more gas = richer running condition.

So yes you can change from 32:1 to 50:1 but be prepared for some changes in throttle response.

do your reading lads get the basics down. What is your base line jetting? if you don't know or don't know how to find it and if it is not broke don't jack with it. just ride and have fun.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I have run 50:1 after switching to Amsoil. It took some time to work towards it, but never had any problems! The engine was so clean when we tore them down yearly also.

Keep in mind you will be pig rich going from 32-50:1 since you will have less oil. So expect to lean out the jetting to get the bikes running properly.

But dont hesitate to run 50:1 with the amsoil.

Brettsauto

Jul 4, 2005
Yes I run at 50:1 and have done for about 8000km , I would recommend using a good oil, I currently use Belray, but have used TTS, Motul, and shell. all have worked find and and with what likes like acceptable engine wear.

pete fry

Mar 9, 2004
I run 40-1 castrol TTS if you want to run 50-1 just mix up a tank full and try it.If you dont like the way it runs or cant jet it up just drop back to 32-1.Never know might run better on 50-1!!

KDX CRAZY

Sep 22, 2005
Im sure the little Japanese men that manufacture these bikes know better than us , and they recommend 32:1 in order to get the most from the bike . It has been tested that more oil gives better protection for crank and bearings etc as well as seals the rings better for compression .

Use it dont use it .

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
you cant listen to everything they say, most of the stuff they say is so you dont break the bike but it doesnt always bring out the best preformance.

ny kdxer

Jul 8, 2004
I'm also running Amsoil Dominator @ 50-1 and don't have any problems but I just started using it this summer so I don't have any long term results yet. My bike does seem to like it.

zeerx

Jan 25, 2003
64:1 over here with Golden Spectro Concentrate. Been this way on various KDX's since the early 80's with no problems. Rock on.

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
50:1 Dominator for two years here, no troubles. The factory recommends 32:1 for conventional oil, I am sure a good synthetic at 50:1 is fine.

I have a buddy that runs Amsoil Sabre(?) 100:1 in his 200mxc and Honda 250r, he has never had a problem in 10 years, that would make me nervous though at 100:1.

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
The oil brand you use WILL SPECIFY what ratio's they recommend. Synthetic oils IMO are more forgiving than Dino Piss:)
I run 40:1 Golden Spectro, NYKDXer is running Amsoil 50:1.
I know Golden Spectro recommends 64:1 Slower Conditions, 52:1 Optimum Performance, 40:1 Severe Conditions
Pick your poison

I have used Golden Spectro for well over 20 years & have NEVER HAD A SIEZE on my bikes.
Fredette also runs 50:1 Golden Spectro & has for a long, long time

strider80

Feb 3, 2003
Green Hornet said:
I have used Golden Spectro for well over 20 years & have NEVER HAD A SIEZE on my bikes.
Fredette also runs 50:1 Golden Spectro & has for a long, long time

Well if it is good enough for Jeff, it is good enough for me.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
44:1 Mobil Full Synthetic - MX2T or Belray H1R

It's the ratio that i've always ran with the full synthetic and never had wear or performance issue with the KDX.

Tom A.

Nov 2, 2005
Wow, thanks for the fast response! Sure are a lot of KDX guys out there. That's 18:1 in favor by my count. Sounds like we ought to pack the jet kit for the first outing with the leaner mix. For those who went from 32:1 to 50:1, how many steps down did you take the main jet? We've got bikes in various states of tune, all with pipes, some with HP reeds as well. Plan on tearing down every other year to clean the spooge out of the power valve and check on those 220 piston skirts. Thanks again for the help.

Jan 6, 2001
I only ran mine at 50:1 the whole time i owned it, i jetted it for it and i think i ran 927 and rode whoooped on it like it was a 125 at the mx track, never had a problem, sold it running stong

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Point here - the factory recommends 32:1 cause that is what the jetting is set up for.

Running a richer fuel mixture (less oil ei 50:1) will require leaner jets, possible a leaner needle. Try 2 sizes down on the pilot and main and go from there. You may have to go up or down in jet sizes from there. Just watch the plug!

Top Bottom