davidrose_98

May 23, 2002
Has anybody taken set-up their KDX220 for the dunes? I took my stock one last year but didn't have a paddle and had some trouble motoring around once the sand dried out in the afternoon. This year I bought a FMF gnarly rev Pipe, silencer, reeds, 12 tooth front sprocket, and will probably get a paddle tire also. Just looking for some suggestions, I typically ride in the woods but we started heading to the dunes a couple during the year, since the guys I ride with all ride quads.

Later,
Nate

helibuf

Sep 29, 2002
i realize its not a 220 but i take my 92kdx out on the dunes quiet often. i'm heading out in 2 weekends to pismo. i run a 8 paddle tire on mine and it works but might be just a bit much for it. it help when i installed a pc pipe on it and changed the rear gearing to 48. i was able to do most of those dunes. however last t-day i was at dumont dunes and the bike did have a time on those dunes. they are way bigger then pismo though.

i would think for a newer 220 8 paddles would be a decent choice especially with the pipe and such.

hope this helps
doug

kev_rm

~SPONSOR~
Jun 7, 2002
On my way to my most recent trip to the oregon dunes (this weekend) I picked up a "new to me" bike (92 KDX 200) and rode the crap out of it. The bike is totally stock except for the airbox mod. It ran a bit hot, and was jetted a bit lean. Some water wetter and a bump up on the main (or two) and things would have been perfect.

Personally, I prefer an MX bike on the dunes, because horsepower is directly proportional to fun in the sand, but the KDX worked fine, in fact, I was impressed with it. For an 11 year old bike that was completely neglected by the previous owner, it put up with everything I could throw at it and never missed beat (except for the occasional pinging.. )

Like can canyncarvr says... prepare to jet UP.. but I would be hesitant to put a paddle on it without gearing way down.

Top Bottom