freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Hi All,

I'm strictly a trail rider, but plan on riding the Oregon sand dunes in March and have never ridden dunes before. Does my KDX200 have enough juice to have some fun if I install a paddle tire, or will I burn the bike up? I weigh 180lbs, and it has the stock pipe, airbox lid modified, and re-jetted with a CEL needle and 155 main. Should I get a rev or torque pipe? Do I even need a paddle tire? Will the motor turn into a glob of molten aluminum? Thanks everyone for any replies and thoughts.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
A paddle tire is best but if you drop your rear tire air pressure to 5psi you will not have any problem. The trick is to go fast, if you maintain a decent speed you will sail right over the sand.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
GET THE PADDLE TIRE-IT MAKES A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, I have ridden my KDX 250 and 200 here in the sand dunes and I currently have a paddle tire on my 250. With the 250's low end grunt there is no problem i can climb and ride anyplace. However you may find that in really soft sand, the 200 may not have the low end.It iwll work with stock gearing(sprokets), but i wold recommend either adding a few teeth to the rear or if at all possible, make the front sproket have a few less teeth.Either of these will give you more torque to turn that tire. You will notice that it will not be as fast as usuall but it will have more grunt to turn the big paddle. Also what type of paddle do you have? i have ridden my bike when it was 105 degrees out so there shouldn't be too much of a problem as far as overheating, just make sure to stop once and awhile to let the engine cool down. Other than that, have fun and keep it GREEN! Also lower the tire pressure to 5 psi and make sure it has a good tube. Momentum is the key my friend momentum-just as mike said. i would reccomend the torque pipe, although on my 250 i have pro-curcuit pipe and silencer that is sweet.:aj:

Last edited:

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Thanks guys. you have convinced me it's do able. maybe I'll throw on a front sprocket with one less tooth. I haven't purchased a paddle tire yet, but I probably will.

I'm actually working a friend over on buying his 1985 or 86 honda cr250 3 wheeler. That thing would be a kick in the pants!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
SAND

Run at least the next larger main jet than you would at that elevation & temperature if you were just trail riding. Sand puts an unbelievable heavy load on the engine so jet as rich as you can without fouling the plug. A soft terrain tire [widely spaced rows of knobs] works pretty good at low pressure and then can be used elsewhere. Keep up your speed - It's just like water skiing - you get up "on a plane" and just surf. All sand dunes have a vertical side. NEVER blindly ride over the crest without knowing exactly what's on the other side.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
You should be very cautious purchasing a 3 wheeler, they were removed from the market because they are VERY dangerous, they tend to roll over easily.

kevinkdx

Mar 25, 2001
don't get the 3-wheeler as they roll VERY EASILY. I would consider one main jet larger due to the amount of strain and power it takes to get moving in sand. Once you get moving it is pretty easy, you just float right over top of the sand.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
3 wheelers can be fun if used correctly, just don't be carless with it. Don't take sharp turns to fast, or use the front brake heavily while turning (I've flipped doing this). As for the sand riding, try not to use the front brake at all, the resistance from the sand will slow you down pretty quickly.

freydog

Nov 17, 1999
Thanks for the 3 wheeler input guys. I've decided not to get it. For one thing, it's rather large! Just from the pics I've seen I can tell it would not even fit into my enclosed trailer. I didn't realize they were that big.

Hey, I just realized we have a KevinKDX, and a KelvinKDX...woah.

Top Bottom