KDX200 power stock vs power with FMF pipe...???

jo8243

Aug 11, 2001
Does anyone one know how many HP the KDX200 (2001 model in particular, but I'll take an answer from any year) makes stock?

Then, does anyone know how many HP it makes if you swap the stock pipe for a FMF pipe and/or exhaust/silencer?

If you don't know that, how about a percent increase that you've heard from this change?

Also, from just riding the bike before and after this mod what do you notice different in the areas of acceleration, zip, noise, etc.

Thanks for any info!

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I can only comment on a KDX220, but my seat of the pants dyno tells me it is a 15-20% increase in power across the board.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Also, from just riding the bike before and after this mod what do you notice different in the areas of acceleration, zip, noise, etc.

I noticed, crisper sound. More like an MX bike sound not a "3 stroke" like a stock KDX. And for acceleration, more better everywhere!! You have probably heard this before but by installing an aftermarket pipe and silencer it is a TOTALLY different bike.
For HP dyno charts, check out justkdx.dirtrider.net

Tantrum

Dec 4, 2001
Lets keep it simple.

Stock exhaust <-------- Boat anchor with power qualities of a 55 gallon drum

Any aftermarket exhaust <-------- Better wear ALL your pads next time out

Any questions?

jo8243

Aug 11, 2001
Thanks for the replies!

Which model of the FMF pipes are most of you guys running? I ride in eastern sigle-track woods.... which one should I use?

ryan

Jul 21, 1999
Well I used to have a 1998 KDX 200 and I fugured that since the bike has such great low-end why not give her some more topend power! Man after putting on a FMF REV pipe and silencer it totally changed the KDX. Later on if you get brave enough send the cylinder off to get it ported that makes a huge difference too! I know it did with mine:)

MSMS_KDXer

Sep 3, 2001
I put a rev in mine, too. I do a some tight woods trails in the hills around my house, and you're okay with it most of the time (but the torque is probably better for it, i don't really know), it still has plenty of low-end even at a walking pace. It's when you get a little opening that the rev really comes to life though. Just be careful when you pin the gas ;)

Cyclop

Jul 19, 2001
Installed my FMF Gnarly Rev pipe yesterday, and gave it a workout today !!
BIG improvement !! I don't notice any bottem end lose and the mid to high rpm punch is very much improved... Did not touch carb at all (haven't since it was new) and it has no bog , sits and idles smooth...

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Thats because it's a 220.

Originally posted by Cyclop
Installed my FMF Gnarly Rev pipe yesterday, and gave it a workout today !!
BIG improvement !! I don't notice any bottem end lose and the mid to high rpm punch is very much improved... Did not touch carb at all (haven't since it was new) and it has no bog , sits and idles smooth...

The revb pipe requires richer jetting so the original rich jetting probably worked out well other than maybe a needle adjustment. Did you mod the airbox?

Top Bottom