LBRaptor

Sep 25, 2006
can someone please explain to me the difference between the xc line and the xc-w line? on the site for the xc 200 an the xc-w 200 all the specs are the same and i cant tell the difference. please help

chris_1001

May 11, 2006
SpeedyManiac said:
The XC-W has a wide ratio transmission, softer suspension and a few other things. Do a search as this topic has already been covered many times.

What he said... I have a 250XC and wished I got the XC-W for the higher top speed... the XC's are good for the tight stuff and have a more MX like Suspension

ggurney

Sep 28, 2006
The xc has a high speed damp. adjust on the shock and you can preload the forks without taking them apart and adjust the steering angle. At least on the 300 that is. I ride the tight stuff also and my w model dose pretty well in that to.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Here's what I don't get. If the XC is for the tighter stuff, why is the suspension stiffer? I ride the tighter stuff, mostly 2nd gear. Rarely ever get into the meat of the power band in 3rd. But I see so many in my area with the EXC's and XCW's.

ggurney

Sep 28, 2006
I'm looking in my manual and it has the 200 xc and the xc-w booth with 72-250 shock and the w fork with 4,0 and the xc with a 4,2. so It's not a big difference. As for tight woods, I ride my w in the tight and I think it couldn't get any better. How much do you weigh Perk. If your between 75 and 85 Kilo's than your good with a 4,2.

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
Not sure about the kilo part, but I tip the scales at about 190 lbs. 75% of my riding is done in 2nd gear. Rarely ever get into 5th, and I'm not sure 6th even works anymore it's been so long. I'm still likely a few years away from going orange, but you never know. Leaning towards the 300 XCW though just due to all of the positive feedback from everybody. Still confused though as to why the W is preferred even in the tight stuff. Shortshift and lug it maybe? That's mostly my style now on my 220.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Perk said:
Here's what I don't get. If the XC is for the tighter stuff, why is the suspension stiffer? I ride the tighter stuff, mostly 2nd gear. Rarely ever get into the meat of the power band in 3rd. But I see so many in my area with the EXC's and XCW's.

WRONG. The XC is a harescrambles bike, the XC-W is an enduro bike. Enduro has a little bit of everything so it needs a low first gear and higher sixth gear. Harescrambles you just want to go fast and have instant power. Harescrambles are usually a little more open hence stiffer suspension.

Buzz672

Oct 4, 2006
disagree

I have a 07 300 XCW and race in harescrambles with it. I am currently in 5th in ECEA in my class. To be honest about the xc or xcw it comes down to rider preference. As for the suspension, most of the time to get it right for you wieght and riding style you need to send it to a good suspension shop. I pesonally like the wid ratio tranny. I get great holes shots when I start in 2nd and shift to 3rd. As for which bike handles in tight woods or on an MX track, well that all depends on the suspension and how the bike is setup. I can give you tips on how to make a bike turn in the tight stuff or handle on a fast open track.

YZ/250

Dec 17, 2006
So what I've gathered is that its really rider preference with the xc and xcw. I ride mostly woods and thought that the lower end of the xcw would be nice.

Top Bottom