dt501993

Jun 28, 2009
i just bought a 93 kx 80. it hadn't been started in a while, about a year and a half, so i changed the plug, put new oil, gas and cleaned the carb. the carb was really dirty and i had to clean it 2 or 3 times to get a thorough clean, but in the end resulted in the bike starting. the bike wont idle, and after that i tried cleaning the carb again, i kicked it once and it idled great! i turned it off after about a minute, and came back about 30 mins later, and it wouldnt idle again, any ideas why this could be? ps, the bike smokes ALOT, and oil leaks from the plug and pipe, i think it might be the rings, but the previous owner said they were just replaced.

dt501993

Jun 28, 2009
alright like i said the bike hasnt been started in over a year, so maybe it just needs a good run? to get the motor warmed up and running again?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
All righty we'll try this again. IT NEEDS A NEW FLOAT VALVE. Giving it a good run won't fix a worn float valve no mtter how much you wish it to be so. The bike sitting up for an extended period of time is all the more reason for it to be dried out thus not causing a good seal to happen and thus allowing fuel to flow past.

While you are at it learn how to properly clean a carb as sticky'd at the top of this forum. Then properly set the float height as specified in your trust shop manual.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And then it will need a good run to get the crankcase cleaned out. There's probably a layer of old oil turned to goo in there. After that it may need crank seals or top end. Once you're all good there you can think about repacking the silencer, getting a new air filter, new reeds and jetting it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
But none of that stuff is cool Joe.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
And now that I see this again, FYI......two strokes don't burn oil when the ring seal is crap, they lose compression. On that same note, compression testing only tells you if the ring seal is good, not how old the top end is. A leak down test would be a great idea before you run it too much, older bikes (particularly those that have been sitting for a long time) tend to have issues with crank seals. If it were my little stallion I'd pull it down to the point you're ready to yank the top end. At that point seal off the intake boot and exhaust port(just some clean rags would be fine), load it up and take it in for leak down test. If you do it this way it won't take them long at all which means less cost to you. The guy I deal with usually does mine in about 10 minutes. Once you know if lower end is sealed you can pull the cylinder to measure the piston, cylinder and bearing play. It doesn't take much time or money to get a small bore 2 stroke running right.....about the same as a nice new pipe! :nener:

Top Bottom