Line 6 vs. Marshall

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by motometal
Sounds excellent, Jeff. this is very interesting. Probably a lot of stubborn people out there that would love your setup once they gave it a chance (or if they could spare the cash).

I usually play with earplugs in, just because I like to feel the vintage 30 "shakers" moving air, and wow, can a loud rig trash your hearing in a hurry!

I have a link to where I bought my monitoring stuff at about 50% off retail and all new with a warrenty.
What good is a musician that can't hear?

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I haven't the slightest idea what you guys are talking about. But, I've always envied those with talent. I'll just go back to my corner now and finish my twelve pack.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by VintageDirt
I'll just go back to my corner now and finish my twelve pack.

VD, don't forget to put the quad back in the storage building and your flip-flops on the kitchen counter before you finish off the twelve, I'd hate for someone to steal your atv and you not even be able to run after them with the shotgun becauseyou couldn't find your shoes. Ya know what it feels like to step on a bottle top in the front yard with no shoes on don't ya?:scream:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That's some good advice there Jeff. Last time I ran through my front door in my bare feet I stubbed my toe on that old Camaro that I've got sittin' on cinder blocks in the front yard. Darn thing fell off the blocks and almost squashed my pit bull.:)

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
My kid has a 5150 with a marshall cab. Very loud and crunchy. Seeing your from Weedsport maybe you have seen Building on Fire before they broke up. If you did you know they were loud.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
BadgerMan said:
I still think that nothing sounds better than a blackface Deluxe Reverb with every knob set to twelve!

"But.....this one goes to eleven."

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Dethklok uses Krank'd amps.

The Metalocalypse has begun . . .
800px-Dethklok2.jpg

ComradeMikhail

Mi. Trail Riders
May 2, 2005
I'm just a drummer, so I know practically nothing about guitar setups, but the guitarist in my band uses a Line 6 head, and I hear no complaints from him.. Then again he always says he'd love to have a Marshall, lol.

Nice XR, lol. I love that show.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
BadgerMan said:
I have never had one fail completely but I have had them “go microphonic” and produce a piercing high-pitched squeal at higher volumes. You can check them for this condition by lightly tapping on them with your finger tip. This tapping should not produce any noise from the amp.

I realize this is an old post, but thought I'd throw in my 2cents here...regarding microphonic pre amp tubes, keep in mind that in some positions in the amp, it is normal to produce noise from tapping on the tube. With the first gain stages in a higher gain amp, for example, the small vibration created by the tapping on the tube is amplified many times through the other stages, and comes out of your speakers as a sound. This is normal, you could drive yourself nuts trying to find a replacement tube that wouldn't behave this way.

B

biglou

FYI-I'm looking at a Line 6 "pod live" (or something like that) effects pedal. Has plug-in modules to simulate all sorts of brands' distortion and effects pedals, and wah. All this for only $400. Supposed to be the shiznit, according to my IT guy, who also plays guitar.

windfall

Trials Paddler
May 1, 2003
biglou said:
according to my IT guy, who also plays guitar.

One thing I've learned about IT guy musicians, they are always looking for the "next big thing" in effects. The ones I talk to usually have a totally new rig every 12 to 18 months. :yikes:

I just stick with my Mesa Nomad and Fender HR Deluxe, and sometimes throw in some time-based effects (chorus, delay) or a wha pedal.

Top Bottom