Little help here please 98 CR125

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
I had my daughter out riding her 98 CR125 a couple of days ago, the bike was and always has run excellent. I took the bike for a couple of hot laps and it was running excellent, however exiting a turn the bike just quit. I thought I had seized the top end because it gave no warning and came to a quick stop, however when I got it home I started to check things over and I have not been able to find anything wrong. I tested the top end and there is excellent compression, I tore the ignition down and cleaned every part and reassembled it ( it has a strong spark but seems to be white or yellow in color and the plug is new, the spark has always been blue up until now ) I disconnected the kill button just to be safe, I also tore the carb down and cleaned everything, both with cleaner and air but it still doesn't want to run. The bike is well maintained and the motor is in excellent condition, could someone give me some ideas on what else that I might check and what to look for when Im checking?? Thanks in advance. :yikes:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Electric issues, yuck! You really need an ohm meter and the service manual to check with, and you need to check some parts cold and hot. When you cleaned the carb, did you actually run something through all the orfices? Have you tried running it since? You are running premium pump fuel?

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
whenfoxforks-ruled
Thanks for the response, I did indeed run cleaner and air through every orfice ( removed jets and cleaned as well ) To be honest Im not running Premium ( never have ) but maybe I need to consider it cause things aren't what they used to be. I recently moved to the state of Washington and my manual so far is hiding from me ( I will find it and drag out my ohm meter ) You are absolutely right electrical problems SUCK, I am hoping someone has dealt with the same issue ( white to yellow spark ) I hate chasing electrical problems cause the parts add up big time if you don't get it the first time or the second or the third time etc... I did get it to fire up for about 20 seconds yesterday morning. Thanks again for the input, and to let you know I do remember when fox forks ruled ( outstanding ) Thanks!

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
ALB said:
I hate chasing electrical problems cause the parts add up big time if you don't get it the first time or the second or the third time etc...

Yep. When I finally decide it's electrical, I normally start with the cheap stuff first: clean and put dielectric grease on all connections and replace plug cap first. After that, it is usually an expensive crap shoot for me since I have the electrical skills of a caveman. My multimeter might as well be a rock .....

digifox

May 25, 2006
Go through these in order

1. New plug with correct Gap
2. Check the coil with one of those spark testers?(IDK how good they work)
3. Go through the Magneto.

Sounds like with a Whit/yellow spark you have "lost" power
and may be getting just enough to spark

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
CHECK THE GROUNDS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make sure they're all corrosion free and tight before replacing anything.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Properly cleaned means actually poking something through them. A real fine wire? Even if it looks clean, poke it, spray, and repeat. Especially the cavities in the carb. 1 bristle off a wire brush works for the pilot, except a pw 50 pilot, its real small.

ALB

Mar 23, 2006
Thanks for all the input from everybody, ( when fox forks-ruled) you are right in regard to cleaning. I suppose I was being a bit lazy so I went back and tore the carb apart again, I ran wire through each orfice, sprayed cleaner and then air through each one. I also cleaned every connection and since I had the ignition all apart I went ahead and tested each component, everything is within specs except for the ignition pulse generator. Honda says it should be between 180 and 280 and it registers at .242 so I think Im going to have to replace it. Thanks again to everyone, I will report back when I have dealt with the issue. Thanks! :bang:

Top Bottom