bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
stormi said:
I would think the grade would be gentler with the nose pointed up....and therefore easier to load??

The problem with the nose pointed up is that you have to muscle the bike up the ramp i.e. pushing it uphill instead of downhill. With the nose pointed down, you just have to aim it and control it as it rolls essentially downhill - depending on how steep the grade is. You don't want it too steep, if you can situate the truck so that the ramp is almost level it works great.

For unloading I still point the nose downhill but not as steep a downhill as for loading. If it's too steep then you have to push it uphill to get it out of the truck bed.

The ATV folding ramp I use doesn't have rubber under the tabs that sit on the bed but my tailgate has a diamondplate steel cap on it, plus the wonderful plastic bedliner - it's really good in the rain!

Aim is very important! Especially when unloading - nothing worse than rolling the back tire off of any ramp halfway down!

The only drawback of my ATV ramp is the rungs, I've come close to dropping a foot between them and that would not be pretty!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
stormi said:
That's my fear! It sound like one of those things you have to get right and commit to, no deciding half way there that it's not right.

Didn't mean to scare you off, try it with someone around the first few times and try to fine terrain that helps you. I have fallen off a ramp.... you feel pretty silly about then. Don't sweat it, just remember to find terrain that helps you, line the bike up and start pushing. I usually start a ways away when by myself and use momemttum ( some day I'll learn to both spell and type.. well maybe) to help you out. That is why I said to line it up. It really is pretty easy after a few practice runs.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
When Henk broke his hand earlier this year, I had to load my bike myself if I wanted to go riding (he couldn't use the brake as it was his throttle hand). What we found worked for me was two ramps. I tried using 1 ramp but couldn't get my legs to stretch enough that I could climb into the van and hold the bike.

I don't think Henk could believe his eyes the first time I went to use two ramps, actually, I can't believe I did it either - dumbo. He puts the ramp there, so I walk next to it & then try to climb onto it at the end!!!!! Obviously that wasn't going to work as the ramp was almost the same height as the back of the van. Dunno why I did that, blame a brain fart, target fixation or something dumb. Neither of us could stop laughing.

It helps having the e-start on the ttr. I've never tried loading the kdx on my own, but would do the same thing (if I had to) & have the bike in 1st gear, walk up the ramp with the bike on the other (yeah, I did learn). I know I couldn't load two bikes, as one has to go in backwards, and as none of our bikes has reverse, I'm screwed.

If you're unloading at a track or someplace other people are, just ask for help. It's cheaper than dropping the bike and usually no one minds helping out. I helped a guy load his kx500 at one stage but didn't realise it was a 500 & as it looked like a 125 was taken aback by the weight of it & almost dropped it.

Good luck & do try with someone around ;)

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
bbbom said:
The problem with the nose pointed up is that you have to muscle the bike up the ramp i.e. pushing it uphill instead of downhill. With the nose pointed down, you just have to aim it and control it as it rolls essentially downhill - depending on how steep the grade is. You don't want it too steep, if you can situate the truck so that the ramp is almost level it works great.

I think this is something I might have to see in practice,.. I'm used to seeing it the other way around, and can't quite wrap my head arund it being easier, likely I'm just picturing something wrong. You gonna be at the Canada Ride? Perhaps I can see then. We're going to try anyway.

bbbom said:
but my tailgate has a diamondplate steel cap on it, plus the wonderful plastic bedliner - it's really good in the rain!
This -is- sarcasm, right? :)

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
kmccune said:
Didn't mean to scare you off, try it with someone around the first few times and try to fine terrain that helps you. I have fallen off a ramp.... you feel pretty silly about then. Don't sweat it, just remember to find terrain that helps you, line the bike up and start pushing. I usually start a ways away when by myself and use momemttum ( some day I'll learn to both spell and type.. well maybe) to help you out. That is why I said to line it up. It really is pretty easy after a few practice runs.

Naw, you didn't. I think I just need to know if I'm having a good day or a bad day before I try to load. :) I tried it tonight. I loaded using a wood ramp and a milk crate into my own truck. The BF helped out at the last second while I was going up into the bed of the truck, but other than that, it was mostly me. I even got it into the corner, and lifted the backend and put it corner to corner. Of course, I didn't strap it down, but I know I can load it, that was the big hurdle. :yeehaw:

Last edited:

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
Michelle said:
It helps having the e-start on the ttr. I've never tried loading the kdx on my own, but would do the same thing (if I had to) & have the bike in 1st gear, walk up the ramp with the bike on the other (yeah, I did learn).

I thought about this,.. might be a little sketchy for me to do this on the KTM. First gear is pretty touchy, and as soon as I drop it into gear, I have to be revving it up to keep it from stalling. Seems like one more thing to concentrate on. I think I'd end up with tire tracks on my roof! Now the TTR that I used to have, that would have been fine, even without the E-start.

Michelle said:
If you're unloading at a track or someplace other people are, just ask for help. It's cheaper than dropping the bike and usually no one minds helping out. I helped a guy load his kx500 at one stage but didn't realise it was a 500 & as it looked like a 125 was taken aback by the weight of it & almost dropped it.

Good luck & do try with someone around ;)

That's a good point. I've noticed that dirtbikers seem to be a pretty helpful bunch.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
if there is any variation in terrain - i will backup to a hill and this will lessen or eliminate the uphill push on a ramp. ditches work great for this too if not too steep in coming back out - then again that is an excuse for 4-wheel-low drive...

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
stormi said:
This -is- sarcasm, right? :)

Yep! :)

The Canada Ride is doubtful for us this year - too many things going on and not enough vacation time for many roadtrips. My work has me buried for the next couple months and not sure how it will go after that.

Here's a couple nice pictures that show what I'm talking about as far as positioning your truck to let the grade help you: See, on the left, you have to push the bike uphill, on the right, the ramp is almost level, if the grade is steeper you can actually be pushing the bike downhill. (Dang, I'm almost as good a drawer as Predcasso!!!!)

Last edited:

sgr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 14, 2000
SoCal
I also use a sturdy wooden box, and I make use of any slight incline, facing the truck down the incline, ( that's one of the things I look for when parking, although you can move your truck to a better spot when it's time to load). I get almost a running start from 6-8 feet away and the bike gets right up in the bed. When you are first trying this, have someone stand by the side of the ramp until you can load it with confidence. I have the regular size ramp and I have been able to load a 125 easily that way. I'm 5' 2" grandmother, so if I can do it...

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
tnrider said:
if there is any variation in terrain - i will backup to a hill and this will lessen or eliminate the uphill push on a ramp. ditches work great for this too if not too steep in coming back out - then again that is an excuse for 4-wheel-low drive...

That sounds exactly like how we do it. OF course we don't have 4wd on either vehicle, so we're a little more careful. I get stuck in the winter periodically, more a result of me not getting along with an automatic than the lack of 4x4, but other than that I don't really find a need for it. I rarely take my -leased- truck into the ditch on purpose.
:)

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
bbbom said:
Oh good! Cos I was starting to wonder about the sanity of that coment! :)

bbbom said:
The Canada Ride is doubtful for us this year - too many things going on and not enough vacation time for many roadtrips. My work has me buried for the next couple months and not sure how it will go after that.
That's too bad! I was looking forward to meeting some of you guys!

bbbom said:
Here's a couple nice pictures that show what I'm talking about as far as positioning your truck to let the grade help you: See, on the left, you have to push the bike uphill, on the right, the ramp is almost level, if the grade is steeper you can actually be pushing the bike downhill. (Dang, I'm almost as good a drawer as Predcasso!!!!)

Hey! those are adorable! You're a regular Raphael De Picasso! ;) I get what you mean, I think we do something similar, only we don't backup onto the incline, just against it. So it doesn't affect the nose of the truck too much. If we had hills like that where we tend to ride, that were solid enough, that would be a great way to do it.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
sgr said:
I'm 5' 2" grandmother, so if I can do it...

Alright! That's so cool! I just keep picturing my grandma ( same height) trying to load my bike. And I have a beachboys song rolling through my head as I picture it!! "Go granny go granny go granny go...." I doubt she would have ever gone for it though. :)

(No, I'm not old enough to have grown up with that, but I have a father that was/is stuck in the 50s and 60s.)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
bbbom said:
(Dang, I'm almost as good a drawer as Predcasso!!!!)
That's some good stuff, missy! I'll let you display them with my "works" when I set up my showing at the gallery.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
XRpredator said:
That's some good stuff, missy! I'll let you display them with my "works" when I set up my showing at the gallery.

I feel secretly smug to own an original Predcasso...."Natty Stuck" is a masterpiece. ;)

I've tried all kinds of loading technique. I usually have no trouble unloading in any terrain. Loading the bike after a long day of riding when I'm completely wore out is another story. I usually look for an incline and I also carry one of those rubbermaid step stools. I may be tall, but that extra step really makes a difference. I almost always ask someone to spot me and that helps too. I never ride alone so there's usually some one to help.

lisa'sxr4

Jul 16, 2002
The single girl in our group has a lifted 4x4 truck. She uses a bike hauler that goes into the hitch receiver. Roll the bike up to it, lock in the foot pegs, strap with a few tie downs and up it goes. She's about 5'6 and 105 soaking wet.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
lisa'sxr4 said:
The single girl in our group has a lifted 4x4 truck. She uses a bike hauler that goes into the hitch receiver. Roll the bike up to it, lock in the foot pegs, strap with a few tie downs and up it goes.
See, now I would love one of those! I just don't know how often the bike will ride in my truck, so I'm not sure if it's worth it... yet.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I often ride the bike up. If you think about it, most of the small hills you ride up and over are about the same size and the line you pick and follow is no wider than 10", the important thing is to have a ramp that is fastened to the tail gate. I had one I just drilled two 1/2" holes in the end of and used two bolts. My truck was a beater so drilling the holes in the tail gate to attach the ramp was not a big deal. Then I had two 1/2" X 6" botls that I dropped in. I often ride the bike up a 10" board now though since my GF wont let me drill the tail gate on her Toyota 4X4 :| , the trick there is to get up your speed on a long approach, scrub off what you dont need before hitting the ramp and DO NOT gas the bike on the ramp or it can shoot the board right off the tail gate. Also dont hit the brake to soon or youll be stuck with the back wheel still not in the truck and if you try to gas it you will just shoot the board off the gate.
Anymore I only ride the bike up if Im real tired or in a bad spot I cant really push the bike up. I never fell or got hurt, but hey, why wait, I just turned 30 so it turns out Im no longer indestructable.
My tool box is one of the step stool like ones, I put it on the left side of the ramp and just walk the bike up the ramp, no big deal. Like was said, getting about 20 feet of run up and letting the bikes momentum take it up is the key. I also always wear my MX boots when I load the bike. I cant tell you how many people I know have hurt or broken thier foot or leg loading or unloading thier bike,,, what a way to go down huh?

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
foxygurly said:
do you have tie downs? if you dont you can always pick a set up for like 16 bucks!

Yup,.. bought em as soon as I bought my truck (5 mos ago),... thought I might need them.... haven't yet. ;)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hmm, well I can add a couple of things here. First off, I have a ramp like Bbbom's, but it's aluminum (lighter) and folds in 1/2, instead of 1/3s. It has a rubber kind of coating on the two legs that hook onto your truck, and 2 litte cables with hooks on the ends that you can hook to the inside of the truck to keep it from sliding out from under you.

One thought is to set up the ramp, start the bike, put it in 1st, and let the clutch out as you WALK the bike up the ramp. Since the ramp is wide enough, I have tried this and was able to walk next to the bike as I slipped the clutch. It worked great the first time; the second time, I wasn't using the little safety hook thingies, and I let the clutch out too far and the tire spun the ramp out from under me. I landed on my feet, bars in hands, bike still running, teetering on its cases on my tailgate. I got it in myself the second time, but to be perfectly honest, it freaked me out enough that I haven't done it again. Of course there's always been SOMEONE around to help.

I could probably load myself if I practiced. I can load a 2 wheel drive pickup or a trailer, but my truck (stock Toyota 4x4 with 31" tires) is just high enough that I run out of steam at the top, and the rungs on my ramp are too far apart for me to take a running start. I have to be able to look down and know where to set my feet. I'll probably start working harder at it.

I also am thinking about riding the bike up. Now I would NOT ever consider it on a normal ramp, but my nice wide one is a lot safer. I've ridden the bike in with a dirt mound in front of the ramp to make it easier. And I've gone up and down sections of trail that are MUCH narrower and steeper than my ramp, but there's something about it that freaks me out. Plus my truck also has one of those stupid plastic bedliners--which, once covered with the inevitable oil or spilled gas from the bikes (Forget to turn the gas off just once and you have a mess)--has zero traction. I have ended up on my rear end a couple of times.

So, I probably could do it if I absolutely had to, but I've been lazy/wimpy enough to keep begging for help from friends.

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
JasonJ said:
I often ride the bike up. If you think about it, most of the small hills you ride up and over are about the same size and the line you pick and follow is no wider than 10"

You are far braver than I! I wouldn't attempt this at all. I keep picturing punched out back windows and tire tracks on the roof. I usually pick much wider lines than 10",.. since Istill wooble through many of them. ;)

stormi

Mar 3, 2004
firecracker22 said:
I also am thinking about riding the bike up. Now I would NOT ever consider it on a normal ramp, but my nice wide one is a lot safer. I've ridden the bike in with a dirt mound in front of the ramp to make it easier. And I've gone up and down sections of trail that are MUCH narrower and steeper than my ramp, but there's something about it that freaks me out. Plus my truck also has one of those stupid plastic bedliners--which, once covered with the inevitable oil or spilled gas from the bikes (Forget to turn the gas off just once and you have a mess)--has zero traction. I have ended up on my rear end a couple of times.

Hey you! Welcome back! Haven't seen you around for a bit. Hopefully that means you've been workin hard and gettin that bike of yours fixed!

I think the problem with the runged ones is like with stairs that have no back,.. it freaks us out to see through, and we think we'll step through. One of my dogs is nervouse about stairs like that too, so it's not even just a human thing.

Sourstraw

Apr 17, 2003
don't try this at home

Just a quick atv loading horror story because I don't feel like doing any work yet this morning...

my boyfriend's brother just got a Yamaha Banshee quad (really amazing machine - it's a 350, and wicked fast), and he got two ramps (about wheel width) so that he can run and push it (or drive it) up into the back of his truck. He wanted to try them out for the first time. The Banshee was in the garage, so he backed his truck up to the garage, and drove up onto the ramp with the quad without even thinking about his head clearance. He smacked the heck out of his head halfway up the ramp - and he was bleeding really profusely. Luckily he is OK... unfortunately, the poor kid is only 21, and he's already going bald, so that injury didn't help his cause... :) Thankfully he was not seriously injured, just stunned and scraped up. So don't do that at home when you are loading up!!!

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Stormi--Just waiting on parts for the KTM now, they're back ordered of course.

I have seen people step through the rungs, that is why I won't do the running start thing. However I may pick up a piece of expanded steel (looks like it had slits cut in it, then pulled apart) and put over the top--gives great traction, and a place to step without looking down.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom