junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I have a Magura hydraulic clutch on my '00 Honda XR400. I recently had a pretty bad crash and pinched my SS braided hose at the master cylinder. I cut the hose back and think I have fixed the leak. Here's my question. The master cylinder cover says to use "mineral oil only". I have always used Magura blood(mineral oil with blue food color), but I was just wondering if anyone ever used just regular mineral oil and where they got it and what kind of price they paid. The Magura blood is pricey and you don't get much in a bottle. Please respond if you know where mineral oil is available in at least a pint bottle. Some of you KTM guys must have a source for this stuff! Thanks in advance.

Mark

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I think Jaybird told me to use automatic transmision fluid. I did and it works fine. Super cheep at any auto parts store and it's blood red!

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
You can buy mineral at about any pharmacy or Wal-Mart I would imagine. A 12 oz bottle should only be a couple bucks.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
On the auto trans fluid, which type do you use? Mercon/dextron or Type 2-3? I will check out the pharmacy or Wal-mart.

Mark

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Mercon/dextron is what I used.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Which ever way you decide to go it would be a REALLY good idea to flush the system of the old fluid so you are not mixing two different products. For me I'd go with what Marcus suggested, light suspension fluid. As far as which ATF it really isn't going to matter in this application as it's only acting as a hydraulic medium and not lubricating friction and drive plates, gears, bearings and pumps.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Thanks for the replies. I will look into them all and let you know what I go with.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Found some mineral oil in the pharmacy at Wal-mart. $1.62 for a pint. Big difference from same stuff at the bike shop. Thanks for all your replies and pointing me in the right direction. Now just to find an easier way to bleed this stupid thing.

Mark

Top Bottom