Mistake with clutch slave cylinder

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I just went through a $100 lesson I thought I'd pass on in the hopes of helping some other KTM owner the mistake.

I was back-bleeding my clutch system last night, and went to button everything back up. I put the bleeder valve back on, replacing the fitting for the Magura kit, and tightened it up. The oil kept coming out the bleed hole - ugh! Several tries later, I realized I was hosed. I went to bed, resisting the temptation to re-model my bike with a hammer.

I pulled off the slave cylinder with cooler temperment (and a new slave cylinder ready). I found that the Magura bleeder fitting had a damaged thread, which caused ALL of the threads in the cylinder to get buggered up. Now when I put this on, it seemed really easy, so what gives? Anyway, I cleaned it up with an M8x1.0 die and put the new cylinder back on.

Moral of the story is be really careful with threading the back-bleed kit fitting onto the clutch slave cylinder!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I use a syringe and a piece of 6mm tubing. I force it on the existing bleeder fitting, never taking it out. I turn hose and bleeder screw together to close.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
You probably know this but if you use the syringe (which I do) be sure to first bleed a little fluid off in the normal way. This will force any dirt out of the bleeder valve instead of up into the system.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Cheap as fluid is, pumping it all out is probably the ticket.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom