mixing 2-stroke oil, really that bad?

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I have a quick question here. I run (and always have) Opti-2 oil in all my 2-strokes. When I go riding I usually take some x-tra mixed gas with me. It is usually enough, but when I go riding with my cousin on his KLX250, he gets a much longer ride out of a tank of gas than I do. He owns a huge gravel pit right up behind his house, and then an entire mountain range behind that to ride on. Of course, we ride literally all day. But usually by the later part of the day, I am out of gas. My cousin always has some mixed gas kicking around, and offers to put in my bike. Of course, the problem is he uses a different brand of oil than I do. I usually have a quarter tank left in my bike at that point, so is it safe to use two different brands of oils at the same time? Or will inevitable disaster strike?

Thanks yet again guys (and girls)
250girl

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
If the mix isn't the same (ie, 40:1 or whatever) then it will make a small change in the mixture. Otherwise it shouldn't do any harm to run a different oil.

A tip for you: If you know you are going to need more gas, mix it early. It would be better to add a 1/2 gallon of a different fuel mix while you still have 1/2 gallon left in your tank rather than wait until you are down to the last drops.

Rod

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
As long as the ratio is the same. And I thought it was do not mix synthetics with castor base oils? 250 girl, your tank could be smaller than the KX, or you have the throttle pinned more!

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
250 girl, your tank could be smaller than the KX, or you have the throttle pinned more!

KLX250. It's a street legal 4-stroke. One of those ones that is a trail bike/road bike. Big tank on it, and that unbelievable blue-smoke-free 4stroke mileage. My bike doesn't even compare in the fuel efficiant department. My bike and his are polar opposites of the bike world.

You shoulda seen what happened the first time we switched bikes :yikes:

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
You can find small plastic bottles at some stores, I think I found my last 4 oz bottle at Wal Mart. I put 2t oil in it and carry it with me in a fanny pak. Some larger fanny pak's will allow 2 bottles.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
How about a larger tank for your bike? Or maybe consider expanding your current tank with the boiling water trick which can get up to an extra quart in some instances.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
You can find small plastic bottles at some stores, I think I found my last 4 oz bottle at Wal Mart. I put 2t oil in it and carry it with me in a fanny pak. Some larger fanny pak's will allow 2 bottles.

I use the little bottles that chain saw oil comes in. They are the right size for a gallon of premix at 40 or 50:1. I save them and fill them with Mobil-1 2T and stick a couple in my fanny pack. It makes it real easy to stop at a gas station and mix right in your tank. Just make sure that you close your petcock when you pour the oil in your tank as it is heavier than gas and will go straight to the bottom and right on to your carb.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Patman said:
How about a larger tank for your bike? Or maybe consider expanding your current tank with the boiling water trick which can get up to an extra quart in some instances.
Please explain...

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
jackflack44 said:
Please explain...

Fill the tank with boiling water to soften the plastic, then expand it with air pressure.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Did the "expand-a-tank" thing before. Boiling hot water and no more than 3 psi (what I heard), leave overnight, repeat 2-3 times. Got almost 1 more qt out of it.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
BadgerMan said:
I use the little bottles that chain saw oil comes in. They are the right size for a gallon of premix at 40 or 50:1. I save them and fill them with Mobil-1 2T and stick a couple in my fanny pack. It makes it real easy to stop at a gas station and mix right in your tank. Just make sure that you close your petcock when you pour the oil in your tank as it is heavier than gas and will go straight to the bottom and right on to your carb.
Hey! Have we been riding together before? ;) Bet the country gas station you go to doesn't serve hot-plate lunches though...... :nener:
Huge lunch = MAJOR leg cramps

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
oh geesh...run what ever you have available. heck, I've run chevron 2 stroke oil in my bike out of the gas station when I had too. 2 dollars a quart.lol would'nt do it all the time but doesn't hurt.

kaboom1371

Jan 15, 2008
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Did the "expand-a-tank" thing before. Boiling hot water and no more than 3 psi (what I heard), leave overnight, repeat 2-3 times. Got almost 1 more qt out of it.

wow a whole quart. not worth risking blowing your tank up or it not fitting on your bike anymore.... i would buy a new larger tank before trying that for the benefits you are getting...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
kaboom1371 said:
wow a whole quart. not worth risking blowing your tank up or it not fitting on your bike anymore.... i would buy a new larger tank before trying that for the benefits you are getting...
OK........
This was ten years ago on our '98 RM125. Nobody makes/made an oversized tank to fit that bike. So, we tried the expansion and it was successful, but not happy with 1 qt, we ended up fitting an IMS to the bike (major work.)
There ya go...

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I would think the expanding technique(if its a technique.haha) would make it harder for your shrouds to bolt back on.....but whatever works in a pinch i guess.

I've mixed before and it didn't seem to matter. The smoke looked a tad different but that's about it. Dinosaur juice seems to burn a different color than synthetic....and noooo i didn't ride backwards to see it. :yeehaw:

Top Bottom