Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I don't have a CRF, but have been doing some reading/considering getting one. The local dealer still has 3 05's that could practically steal from them. I was thinking of how I would drop some coin into the motor to increase power/reliability, cause we all know that I NEED more power.:rotfl:

The way I see it, if you add compression, you boost power down low. If you put in a more aggressive cam, you boost power up top(Hotcams stage 2). If you use a Hotcam stage 1, you boost bottom. If you put in a big bore, you increase power down low, if using the stock cam.

So, if you have a big bore with high comp piston and Hotcams stage 2 cam, how's the power delivery going to be compared to stock? I would think it would be a more-of-everything type of power, or possibly even more shifted toward the bottom.

I think that using the Hotcams stage 1 with a bigbore would probably be too torquey, but then again, I don't know of anyone who has tried it.

Would anyone happen to be using some combination of the following parts:
High comp piston
Hotcams
Big bore
Thunder Alley exhaust

How did the mods change the power deliverey?

Rich, aren't you running a stock bore high comp piston, Hotcam stage 1, Thunder Alley, and kibblewhite valves/springs? What kind of life are you getting from those KW valves/springs?:think:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Phil you'd be better off riding the bike FIRST, and determining what type of power changes (if any) you'd like to make. The 05 is incredibly good stock.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
With the CRFs the problem is not performance. The motor is very good across the range stock. I'd do like Rich said and ride it first and if I was going to put money into it, it would be towards upgrading the valve train for reliability since I do believe the stock cam is already pretty aggressive.

I have an 04 and I'm sure you'll like the 05, enjoy it.

Last edited:

CRFGuy

Aug 5, 2005
I have the 05 CRF450X and can tell you I'm perfectly happy just the way it came. Plenty of power and loads of torque! This thing will climb a wall at practicly idle speed without stalling and stand straight up with the crack of the throttle. You can pick one up real cheap since Honda is giving the dealers a rebate.. I paid 5700 for mine brand new here in NJ

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
My 05 was the first bike I've owned that I was completely happy with, 100% stock motor and exhaust. It moved my large arse with great haste.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I know, but it sure is fun to talk about spending money you don't have on a bike you don't have yet.:laugh:

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
Okiewan said:
My 05 was the first bike I've owned that I was completely happy with, 100% stock motor and exhaust. It moved my large arse with great haste.
I totally agree with Okie, except the large arse part. :ohmy:

I can't wait to put more hours on it and wear out the stock valvetrain so I can upgrade to the KW bits. What I really want to see is the difference between a stock head and one after Rich has had his hands on it. (can we get a smiley with a dremel?) :)

My buddy has the hi-comp piston and T/A pipe on his '03 CRF450 and the difference in low end is very noticable. :cool:

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
I have never been able to reach the finish of break in before doing a total frame down strip.
Wanting more is the American way.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Well, we can put an end to this thread, I just picked up an '06 125SX!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Masterphil said:

I'm sorry for you. ;)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Masterphil said:

You need to get that suspension over to Jer right now!! :nod:

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
I'll type up a first ride report later, but comparing the suspension on the 125sx totally stock, with clicker settings as delivered, it is way better than the stuff that is on my 426! This is the first 125 I have ever ridden, and I am super impressed with the handling, power, and suspension. I don't think I'll be buying anything other than KTM. I am without a doubt faster on the 125 than I ever was on the 426. The 125 fits my riding style much better than the 426, and I'm having more fun riding than ever, thats all that really matters. All I gotta say is 250f's better watch out.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I just went to YZ250 myself and it is very fun to ride. Glad you saw the light and went with a 2 stroke. ;) This coming from someone who has only ridden 4 strokes for the last 6 years. :coocoo:

You're right, the most important thing is to have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom