Senior KX Rider

Super Power AssClown
Nov 9, 1999
dirtrider.com

2005 OMA Nationals: Results from the Moose Run
Photography: Ed Gatner

The Moose Run is notorious for being a race of survival, and is often billed as America's toughest offroad race, however this year's event didn't live up to the reputation. Sure there were some gnarly log crossings, steep climbs and the occasional deep mud bog, but other than that, conditions were perfect.

Shane Watts moved into the lead at the two mile mark of the first lap of the 35 mile course, but soon, Jimmy Jarrett took over the lead position. For the remainder of the first lap, Watts and Jarrett trail blazed through the thick undergrowth, peat bogs, creeks and over "millions" of logs at the head of the field.

Brian Garrahan joined the battle for first in the second and final lap. Jarrett, Watts and Garrahan broke away from the rest of the pack to set up an exciting finish over the final two miles of fast field sections. Although mounted on his KTM 200EXC, Watts was able to overtake his 250-mounted rivals and hold the lead coming into the final moto-section. However, due to the uncertain direction of the course during the transfer onto the motocross track Watts went the wrong way and overshot the corner, which opened the door for Jarrett to take the overall victory by a mere two seconds.

"I'm somewhat disappointed in myself," Watts commented from the finish line. "I just wasn't looking and concentrating far enough ahead and I missed the turn. Other than that I'm happy with everything. The Moose Run was an extremely enjoyable event and my hat's off to Bill Gusse for his tireless effort in promoting this Championship. Plus this is the second year this race hasn't been a sloppy mess, so you gotta be stoked about that!"

Suzuki's Brian Garrahan finished third, followed by Yamaha's Justin Williamson and KTM rider Christopher Bach. Fifty-Seven year old enduro legend Dick Burleson toughed it out on a 125 KTM to a top-ten finish.

Pro Results, 2005 Parts Unlimited OMA Moose Run
1. Jimmy Jarrett, SUZ, 3:17:14
2. Shane Watts, KTM, 3:17:16
3. Brian Garrahan, SUZ, 3:17:43
4. Justin Williamson, YAM, 3:22:37
5. Christopher Bach, KTM, 3:25:08
6. Chris Robertson, KAW, 3:25:46
7. DR Atwood, KTM, 3:29:06
8. Dick Burleson, KTM, 3:31:28
9. Alan Westerfield, KAW, 3:34:19
10. John Strangfeld, GAS, 4:06:36

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
I was there for my first Moose, and I missed the same turn that Watts did on the motocross course. Can't imagine what it would have been like if it had rained.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I've watched the Moose run a few times and I rode it this year. Granted, there wasn't as much mud (its been one of the dryest seasons), eveything else was as nasty as ever. Biggest difference from this year to the last few years....This year was a 35 mile lap, in the past its been a 7 to 9 mile lap.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Sr KX Rider, I assume you rode it; how did YOU do? I've personally NEVER found a Bill Gussie course to be "easy"! Some less brutal than others, but never easy, even in "perfect" conditions! :ride:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Congrats, agitt73; you'll treasure that trophy (or plaque, etc.) more than most, I assure you. I still have a clock from 1984 or '85 "Bike Barn Illinois Cross Country Championship." Only 4th place in the Open B class, But a very cool clock; one of the best trophies ever, in my book! One I am very proud of - you should be too! :nod: :cool:

Top Bottom