Motocross bike for forest/quarry/mx track

Blck64

Aug 18, 2019
Hi guys,

I know my question and bike requirements may be quite unusual, but I want to get back to my hobby that I abandoned 10 years ago and I hope you will be able to help.

I spent some time in the past with Derbi 125 two stroke (and last years with bandit 600 and r1). I decided to go back to offroad/mx riding and to prepare and take part in one of the biggest enduro races in Europe in the next 4 years.

Currently my budget is quite tight - 1500€ for the bike (it will be better in two years - end of mortgage, I have separate budget for the gear). What would you recommend that will be great for moderate mud, steep rocky/sandy uphills and some technical trial rocky parts of the quarry? I will ride twice a week in forest/quarry and 2-3 times a month at MX track.
Because of my small budget I can not afford an Enduro bike (they are around 2200€), I probably have to choose something from motocross bikes from late ‘90s or early ‘00s.

The easiest to get at this price range will be Suzuki RM 250 and Yamaha YZ 250 - how will it manage in such terrain? Do you recommend anything else?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
My first thought is you'll end-up spending more on a MX bike with all the mods you'll need vs. finding a nice used purpose-built bike.

Blck64

Aug 18, 2019
My first thought is you'll end-up spending more on a MX bike with all the mods you'll need vs. finding a nice used purpose-built bike.

The difference is that I can start riding and mod it month after month, instead of buying EXC or TE a year later.

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Hi guys,

I know my question and bike requirements may be quite unusual, but I want to get back to my hobby that I abandoned 10 years ago and I hope you will be able to help.

I spent some time in the past with Derbi 125 two stroke (and last years with bandit 600 and r1). I decided to go back to offroad/mx riding and to prepare and take part in one of the biggest enduro races in Europe in the next 4 years.

Currently my budget is quite tight - 1500€ for the bike (it will be better in two years - end of mortgage, I have separate budget for the gear). What would you recommend that will be great for moderate mud, steep rocky/sandy uphills and some technical trial rocky parts of the quarry? I will ride twice a week in forest/quarry and 2-3 times a month at MX track.
Because of my small budget I can not afford an Enduro bike (they are around 2200€), I probably have to choose something from motocross bikes from late ‘90s or early ‘00s.

The easiest to get at this price range will be Suzuki RM 250 and Yamaha YZ 250 - how will it manage in such terrain? Do you recommend anything else?
You want a mx bike for endure and for mx? Sell some of your assets to get all the money you will need. Cut back or eliminate latte's, time on your cell phone, booze and women, and video games. That cost money. If you want a good off road and mx bike, I would go with any 90's Honda CR-250R, those babies are bad to the bone, and they are long lasting, top tier. You have to consider maint., storage, fuel, and your gear. Ya gots to be disiplined to race and own a offroad bike, hell you have to be disiplined to own and race a street bike or car even. I have 2 cr's, and im military tough, you should be the same....

Top Bottom