fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
I finally put some time on my new KX250. I like it quite a bit. The suspention although I have no idea on what monster it was set up for when I bought it but after a few days and a little twinking it feels quite good. But I need track time to let you realy know how it is, it realy feels pretty good.

The breaks for me take a bit getting use to. With the hard terrain tires and touchy brakes, it does more sliding then anything. I took the tire PSI down to the min. psi and started using a little wieght shifting while breaking hard, well now I think the braeks are awsome, just I needed to learn how to use them.

And the motor. Many complained about the motor, but realy, I think it's what I've always wanted. It pulls rite off the bottom and doesn't have the harsh power band hit but more like a four stroke with two stroke tendencies. The top is a bit flat thow, I would say it's to fat up there and with a little jetting a graet deal of over rev can be gotten.
The mid range has a little flat spot in it but barely noticeable.

Now between the mags and team greens I've read a larger pilot jet and a different needle helps the power range from bottom to top quite a bit. I have the needle and pilot jet but haven't tried them yet. Also they did these jetting runs in canada so no mention of the main jet was ever mentioned.

The handle bar mounts had to be turned around to give me a bit more room in the cockpit.

I run a Arenacross series (on quads thus far) and realy am pleased with the power delivery and chassis that supports it for this type of riding.

I understand turns on this big feller is it's down fall. I've been practicing turns on flat ground for now but will get back to you on that one.

I'm 6' 1" and 230lbs

m_champoux

Mar 29, 2001
I tried the needle and pilot for my Kx250 2002 and it's still way rich.

I will try to do some plug test to see where is the problem !

I installed a flywheel weight because I race HS but the rest is stock
I didn't know about the tires, Now I know why theycare slippery on soft terrain.

If you find a jetting that is good, put it on the forum.

thanks in advance

Jersey420

Apr 24, 2003
I have an 02 also... stock right now, probably get a fatty pipe and silencer sometime this summer...

I'm also interested in jetting, so if you find something that works well, I'd be interested too...

thanks

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
At this time I'm way busy at work. The norm across the board is the pilot is normally lean and the main is normally way rich. On the team green suggested jetting it calls for a richer pilot and needle, but no mention of main changes.

I've learned while doing carbs for quads that here in louisiana we generally have to stay just a bit leaner than most of the rest of the country due to the humidity. But while going back to the team green site I noticed that the testing was done in canada, this probably answers why they had no main problems.

Now just riding it still in it's show room state (except turning the bar mounts around for more room) It feels like possibly a small lean spot in the mid range but the top is deffinately fat, way fat.

So what I'm thinking is the pilot and main is a deffinatly needing changes, but fatning the bottom and leaning the top will most likely amplify the flat spot in the mid.

So far the motor has matched my riding style perfectly, yes I do see some room for fine tuning but thus far I'm very happy I stuck with the Kawi

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I'm an intermediate Cross country racer (in north Texas) and I run the following jetting in my 02 KX250:
52 Pilot (58 is stock)
160 main (165 is stock)
N3WE needle at the second position from the top.

I got to these settings over a long period of time and the bike still spits a little on all but the fastest tracks. I change the plug every 5 races or so and use a BR8EIX for good measure. Think about the type of riding you do and realistically consider your throttle range while riding. Most stock jetting is WAY to rich for the average off-road rider/racer.

fastbygaff

Oct 25, 2002
That is the pilot and needle I just recieved. I was thinking, or guessing the main would probably be around a #160. Thanks a bunch that helps me a huge amount. I generally have time to test the heck out of them but now I'm swompt and only have time maybe to swop some jets some time this week. And as you have found, jetting a bike can take alot of time.

I Like the cross country jetting set up. It's the type of power range I like. I raced XC for quite some time, but now I'm doing the SX and AX thing. I still like the XC tuning even while doing SX wich is a top end type track. Now the AX uses the same type tuning, just changing sprockets whill dial you in at AX.

The best thing about XC tuning is being able to carry a higher gear without near the clutch action, and you don't have to ride the pipe all the time. Not to mention the maintenance seems to be quite lower.

Top Bottom