Need help and advice! Bike got wet.

bmoore4w21

May 2, 2005
So the story goes that I was finishing the last 25 feet of some of the worst terrain I've seen and I thought that I would just blow through this puddle at the exit of the trail. Little did I no that it ended up being 3 and 1/2 to 4 feet deep. My KX 250 was not happy with me.
Anyways I got it home without running it at all. I removed the cap that sits on the head. I sprayed down the piston and cylinder with WD-40 to prevent rust. In addition I removed the exhaust, air filter, and the oil in the crankcase. Im not an expert but I'm pretty confident that I did the right thing to avoid any major damage. My problem is that I can not start the bike now. It appears that fuel is not entering the cylinder. I layed the bike on its side to remove any possible water in the carb. however that did not work. Is there something I'm missing? My only last idea is to remove the carb. and examine it. Possibly disassemble and the reassemble. But I thought I would ask the experts out there for there advice first. I couldn't be the first to do this! FYI the bike is a KX 250 '01. Thanks for the help!
Brad

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
lucky for you i have an article from the net on lake riding with paddle tires on and they tell you about this in advance :cool:

If you get water in your engine it can do some damage. If your bike starts to sputter or if it dies from water in the engine I recommend getting the water out of your bikes system before starting the bike again. Water will be in your cylinder, carburetor, intake boot, air filter, air box and if you sink it water will be in your gas tank and transmission.

The Gas Tank- Pull the gas line off of the bottom of your gas switch and drain the tank dry. Turn off your gas switch. Fill your gas tank about half full of fuel (always use mixed gas) and swish it around by rocking the bike from side to side. Drain this out and your tank should be clear of water. Reconnect your gas line and refill the tank with mixed gas.

The Carburetor-Remove the bolt on the bottom of the carburetor bowl. This will release all of the gas in your carburetor. Let a little extra fuel flow through from your gas tank for about 10 seconds and then turn off your gas. Replace the bolt and your carb should be clear of water.

The Filter- Clean the filter and dry out the intake boot.

The Cylinder- Remove your spark plug and kick the bike over about 10 times without giving it any throttle. This should clear out most of the water. Also check the plug to see if it is wet. Hit the electrode end of the plug on your palm to get out the water. Put the plug back in. After you have done the rest of the system (carb, tank, air filter, intake boot and gas tank if needed) kick the engine over about five times without giving it any throttle(the key here is to dry out the water without flooding the engine with fuel). On the next couple of kicks give very gradually more throttle. If it does not start try holding the throttle wide open and kicking it over. If your bike still won't start, take the plug back off and check for water on your plug again. If there is water or not, still kick the bike over about ten times with the plug out just to be safe. When you put the plug back in and try to restart it for the first four or five kicks don't give it any throttle. Then gradually give it a little throttle on the next couple of kicks. If it still won't start then remove the plug and repeat the procedure and eventually it will.

If your bike gets completely submerged in water, do all of these steps and change your gear oil. After you get it running again, wait about five minutes and change your oil again. Remove your pipe and silencer and dump out any water. Also it might be a good idea if you remove your cylinder and blow dry the bottom end of your bike with a blow drier.

bmoore4w21

May 2, 2005
Well I tried all of the suggestions. Still not starting. It appears that fuel is not getting to the cylinder. The plugs come out clean and dry. I don't think its getting the fuel. I did find a cylinder looking thing on the carburetor that appears to be a soliniod of some type. It had a seal over it with two wires going through. The seal came right off and it had water in it. I dried this off but it doesn't seem to have helped the problem. The connections on the wiring connections were also wet. I dried these as well. Nothing seems to be working. Thanks for all previous replies. I need more help.

Huskyriderone

Jun 29, 2005
try and take of your carb all the way off and clean the jets and any dirt thats in it. If that doesnt work try and check your reeds for any problems. those things should be the only problems with getting gas to your cylinder. Hope this helps.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
dont remember where i got it but saved it as a document .........i could email it to you if you like

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom