New guy, just picked up an 89 kdx200.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Ahhh, guess i'm splittin cases. LH crank seal is leaking. I'm pissin mix out behind the stator cover. Not very much, but enough so it's plain to see the seal is shot. I think it's time to replace the crank bearings anyway.

If anyone has tips, feel free to post them. I'm gonna start tearing it down this week, then going to carry the stripped engine over to my buddies nice big garage and work on it there while we tear down his yz250 for a freshen up.

On a side note, I have this spare cylinder that came with the bike. It's got some nice gashes in it from a busted ring. In that situation would you try to have it repaired and replated or just punch it out and sleeve it? I figure while I've got it torn down it might be a fine time to get the spare top end ready as well.

J.

kevinw

Mar 24, 2009
New guy with a 1990 200G2

Hi, just bought 200G2 from the dreaded ebay, stripping her out
for a repaint, etc and have discovered that one of the usd forks has a crack in it, in the outer casing. Not leaking oil, so just wondering if it can be repaired? Also is it possible to get a supplement to the w/shop manual to cover G2 models, ie autolube setup and so on.
Cheers in advance for your replies and help, I'm sure to be needing plenty over time.
Kevin

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Allrighty then. I found a bit more damage than anticipated. The big end bearing, which I checked before ever running the bike, is now shot. I'm guessing the failed crank bearing put undue stress on the big end wearing it out. This in turn caused excessive piston slap and scuffed up the piston and cylinder pretty good.

So far I have gotten the following pieces and parts:

hot rods connecting rod kit - $69.00 on ebay w/ free shipping
hot rods crank bearing/seal kit - $45.00 on ebay w/ free shipping
PROX standard piston kit - $87 on underbid
athena gasket kit complete - $40 shipped on ebay
matching 1990 engine cases - $70 shipped on ebay (this bit is just for my piece of mind. You might remember in my original posts how I found a cracked section in the RH engine case behind the kickstart gear)
I went ahead and grabbed some boyesen power reeds while I have it torn down too. I figured I might as well....

I'm hoping I can lightly hone my cylinder and use the prox piston until I can get my other cylinder sleeved or replated. So far I've been able to keep it low budget. My goal is just to get it back together enough to ride through the summer and then I'll do a proper top end this fall with fresh plating and a wiseco piston. The only thing I really dread at this point is splitting and rebuilding the crank.

As you can see, I cheaped out on some of the parts. Unfortunately that's just the way of things right now. I'm lucky to be able to get any parts at all. My wife has just had her salary cut by 50% and that puts a major hurting on our financial situation. Her last full check comes in next week. If I don't have everything I need to get the bike back together by then, I'll be broke and staring at pieces of a bike instead of broke with something to ride and get my mind off of being broke!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeah man hurry up with that so we can ride together at hatfield McCoy

You think it was running too lean? how many hours did you get total befor everything went wrong?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I probably had 30 or 40 hours on it. At least 8 or 10 good riding days, figure 4-5 hours of actual riding each day. I do think it was running too lean, probably due to the left main seal leaking and sucking air.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
thats pretty good at least it was'nt like the second ride or anything.

hey was that you or lemmy that had the kdx down in florida that needed to be picked up?

I am going to durhamtown for a weekend of camping and riding!!!
Iwas checking my chain out and noticed I had no masterlink clip...I wonder how many rides that has been missing...scary.

Also how is the hatfield trip looking for you ??

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
sr5bidder said:
thats pretty good at least it was'nt like the second ride or anything.

hey was that you or lemmy that had the kdx down in florida that needed to be picked up?

I am going to durhamtown for a weekend of camping and riding!!!
Iwas checking my chain out and noticed I had no masterlink clip...I wonder how many rides that has been missing...scary.

Also how is the hatfield trip looking for you ??

I'm having to hold of on deciding about the hatfield trip. With my wife losing her job, we're kinda up in the air at the moment. More day to day I guess. We're actually leaving in a few minutes for the airport. We'll fly down to FL, and then drive my buddies bronco back up to the mountains dragging a trailer with the bike and the rest of his crap. His brother is an outboard mechanic and has been tinkering with it. It supposedly runs solidly, but lacks any top end. The guy we bought it from said he'd worked on the powervalves, so I'm betting our problem is there. Reportedly it picks the front tire up from the low end, then just goes flat real quick. I'll know more tomorrow :D.

I'll let you know about hatfield too, as soon as I can make the call. I have to get some money put back...

J.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Made it home. We ended up buying a 10x5 of this guy for 300. Was the same price to rent an 8x5 from uhaul. We worked on the bronco for 2 days straight to get it where we thought we could drive 900 miles. The tranny started acting up going through tampa and grenaded the OD gear. Had to come the rest of the way in 3rd about 60-65mph. Took forever but we made it and in once piece! The bike looks good, and as a bonus I worked out a trade for a 99 xr50 for my boy. It's in the back of the truck, havn't told the wife yet though.... :|

Good to be home! Looks like I have some reading to do here, lots of new posts going on. Good stuff!

Ride on guys!!!

J>

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Actually, it was 100! Its great! The engine sounds great, lots better than mine did. As the guy said, it starts easy and runs great on the bottom, but has no top end. A quick inspection found the power valves bound up as I suspected. From the exhaust port the cylinder looks good and piston looks new. I would say we got really lucky on that one! I will be pulling the head and jug the next day or two and ordering the pieces to fix the power valves. Can you say "score!"?

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
The Z50. I dig it. It rides a wheelie pretty good, lol.

IMG00091.jpg

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
what are those things on the back hah they look like springs!!! Mine is a 1970 hardtail like the one I started on when I was 10 except its yellow/white

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
lol, yeah! There are actually shocks and springs back there. I "accidently" jumped it about 4' coming out of a ditch down at the beach and the suspension bottomed so hard I almost wrecked it. It runs really well though. I can stick it in 3rd and take off with me on it. I was really after something fully automatic or single speed, but this will have to do. Talked it over with the wife and we'll stash it away and clean it up, replace fork seals and such, and hand it over to the boy this x-mas. Hopefully by spring time he'll be ready to start riding it. He'll be 4 next april, so I suppose the timing is pretty good.

We ripped the head and valves off the 90 200 last night. The LH sub valve was broken, just as I thought it would be. I told my buddy to pull the jug and start cleaning away the carbon and such. And we'll be ordering the valve and missing pieces soon. Aside from that it looks really good!

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
I've got to break down and find some pieces for the old mini z but I have alot of irons in the fire... rail buggy....kdx clutch cover... xt250 (dirt choppa) and getting a title bond for my xt350 so I can resume renegade riding!! oh and repairing the trx250x.

I really hope you and your buddy can make the wv trip, sounds like some very minor stuff to do to the 1990 kdx..just don't fool with the carb untill everything is back together (don't do 6 things at once)

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
I'm pretty sure the inner clutch cover is the same across the board. If you can verify, I have an extra one for 89-90. I'm 99.9% sure it will bolt right up.

J.

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Yeah man, I'll get a pic posted up as soon as I can. I think it'll work for ya.

I just scored a brand new DG pipe on ebay for $82. Pretty good score, I thought. I have liked the look of the DG for a long time, and read that it's a good power pipe for the full RPM range. It's also thicker and tougher looking than the FMF or PC. I'm a little excited. If I can keep my wife from killing me over the paypal transaction on our bank statement I'll be ok!! I'm sending the crank off this week to have the new rod kit pressed in, and then it's time for re-assembly.

J>

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
couldn't find the camera last night. finally gave up and used my cell this morning, sorry for the cellphone pics, but that's what i've got! It needs to be cleaned up, but again, I'm pretty sure there is no difference in this cover across the years.

IMG00098.jpg

IMG00099.jpg

Top Bottom