KDXBabe

Feb 15, 2003
Hi, I just got my first very own moter cycle. An '87 KDX 200. The previous owner said he was running it at a mixture of 50:1. I was wondering if this would cause problems I should look out for. I thought it was supposed to be 32:1. Will it mess something up if I change it? Thanks for any information.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
It won't necessarily hurt anything, but it's not a good idea (IMHO)... What really matters is the amount of residual oil in the crankcase(this is what actually lubes the engine, about 1/8" of the bottom of the crank wheels is healthy). If you don't have enough residual oil you could\will sieze the piston. 50:1 might be ok, but I wouldn't be the one to find out :)

If I were you I would goto 32:1. It's the proven safe ratio, and the best IMO. You will need to change your jetting when you switch (go richer, I believe). Once you get it jetted properly at 32:1 you can use the ratio to adjust for small changes in temp, altitude, or humidity. More oil (32:1) effectivly leans out your jetting and less oil (40:1) richens the jetting.

www.eric-gorr.com - Has somegreat jetting info.(read it twice, take notes if need be. Knowing how to jet is a VERY good thing!)
www.dirtrider.net/justkdx - Also has some great info

Try using the search function - I believe this subject has been discussed several times. Also, it's motorcycle (one word one 'e') :confused:

Hope you enjoy the "new" ride!! :thumb:

Last edited:

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
50:1 is perfectly fine if it's the manufacturer's recommendation, such as Motul 600 or 800, which can go as thin as 66:1.

Read the instructions on the bottle.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
ughh huh.

At 50:1 (a ratio made popular by magazines and oil bottles), you can't be riding very hard, or your bike is jetted richer than necessary simply to deliver enough oil.

The KDX manual recomends 32:1 and thats what I think is best (and it's easy to mix)

"No one ever broke an engine by using too much oil." -rich

"You can't swing a dead cat in the pits without hitting a bike running 66:1 that leaks more oil than the exxon valdez" - rich rorich

Last edited:

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
I have been using Golden Spectro, at a ratio of 1 bottle to 5 Gallons of 93 octane pump gas. That is the recommended mix by my Kawasaki dealer. The bike smokes a lot when first started cold, but clears up when I get riding.

redeni

~SPONSOR~
Feb 8, 2003
i saw that you have a ttr-225 for sale.
i'm looking for a bike for my nephew - he's 11. he's a big boy ,5-5.
how much are you asking??

thanks, erin

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Jackpiner57,

I hope you are using 16oz. bottles and not 32oz. If you are using the 32oz. (that is a full quart), you are running at 19:1. You may not be hurting anything, except your wallet. And I'm sure you're making your Kawasaki dealer happy. I used to run that mixture when I started racing in 1971. Times change and leaner oil mixtures are appropriate. Now if you are using the 16oz. bottle that is closer to a 40:1 mixture and that seems to be a good ratio.

Did you ever have a Penton 175? They were called Jackpiners. I had one and loved it.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Actually GS comes in a 12 oz. bottle. One bottle of GS to 5 gallons of gasoline is 52:1 ratio. Exactly what I ran in my '96 KDX200.

Jackpiner57

~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Yes MX175, I bought a Penton 175 Jackpiner brand new in 1972. As you know, it had a KTM motor and 6 spds.

I think it was the best trail bike you could buy back then. I believe it had 36 HP and it would destroy my buddies Honda 250 Elsinore on the trails.
I really miss it.

Woodsrider is right. 12oz. to 5 gal. gas 52:1 and the bike seems to run great. I am going to check the KIPS and top end soon to see how things are.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
redeni - I'm not sure exactly how much I'm wanting for it. I've been starting the price at 1750$, but I'm expecting to sell for something like 1650$ or so. Make an offer! I havn't got any pictures right now, though I plan on getting some soon.

I hae 2 extra handlebars that would go with it + 5 or 6 quarts of oil. The oil has been changed every other ride or so (sometimes after 1 ride). Its in good condition mechaniclly(SP) and looks real good for a used bike as far as the plastic. It has a few scratches obviously(it's 2-3 yrs old.) and also a cracked side panel (very small) but you'll see that in the pics (when I get em'). Hope we can do some business.

email me with any questions itslimittime@aol.com or call 317-409-8814

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
You'll find a good number of different views on the premix ratio issue.

Yes, kawasaki recommends 32:1. Maxim says 40:1 is safe for a 200cc bike of a woods nature. Some oil mfgs indeed recommend they be mixed at 50:1 and higher.

The kawi rec can be considered as compared to the way the kdx is jetted off the showroom floor: safe!

You won't 'mess up' anything if you change it. Be aware that the less oil you use, the more gas is in any given volume of fuel, so your air/fuel ratio is effectively enriched. Most bikes run too rich anyway...so making it richer probably isn't going to help the bike performance-wise. Indeed, may make some things worse.....spooge (dripping oil goop out the tailpipe for example) and plug fouling for two.

Enjoy your motorsikkle. Please do 'dress for the crash.' Keep yourself healthy.

limitless

subscribed
~SPONSOR~
Aug 11, 2002
Your fuel ratio depends on how agressive you ride where you ride ect. ect. The residual oil is the thing. If at 20:1 the residual oil is 1/8" ot the bottom of the crank wheels, then that's where you need to be. The same is true for any other ratio weather it 50:1 or 32:1!

Everyone will tell you sumthin different, just pick one and test er' out... A good starting point would be 40:1

Top Bottom