Jason81

May 2, 2001
I am wondering which bike to buy for my son. He is 6 and is over jumping a 6' double that I made him on his jr 50 and holding on for all he is worth as the suspension rebounds in his face. I am looking at a new Pro Jr or a used X1. I understand that the X1 has better suspension but I wonder just how important at this level of competion and ridding this is realy worth. He races at local tracks and is getting beat down the straights. I am looking for some advise on which bike to buy. I will be getting him one by the end of the month. I am leaning to the KTM... He has sat on a Pro Sr and can touch the ground with 1 foot. Also if any one knows what the Hp ratings are on either of these bikes are also... Thanks, Jason

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
What year X1...and is it an X1 works? The 02 KTM Pro senior will throttle an old X1. The 02X1 works is plain bad. And you didn't really mention the Cobra. Especially since you live in ohio you have four dealerships in your state. They totally dominat national competition. over 80% of the field is on the Cobra. If you want to race AMA or any national you will need to stay on the JR size bike. X1 CM or Pro Jr. The senior is only a 7-8 yr old class bike. Also check your gearing too. The KTM's have huge rear sprokets. They have plenty of power so a smaller sproket will do wonders to topend. see what the fast KTMs in your area are running and try it. Beware...the difference between the X1 and X1 works is more than most will lead you to believe. Its why there is a 2X price factor. The markup on the bike is only about $250 new. I Say GO COBRA!!!!!!! Parts and support should be more than plentiful in the state they came from.
Jason

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
I have heard 12.2 hp's for the KTM and 14 for the new X1works. The suspension on the Polini rocks though in stock form too. Still you can't beat a used Cobra. You can find an 01 CM or King for 2100-2600 pretty easy. especially if you wait until after Loretta's in Aug. go to www.cobraridersclub.com and go to the bike shop. tons of used bikes for sale. some in ohio too!
Jason

AMinkman

Nov 17, 1999
Jason, sounds like good advice. Cobras are pretty dominate out here also. I dropped my sons suspension off today and the guy was doing 2 Cobras suspension rears. Make sure you get an '02, all the others are junk, suspension wise.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Might want to investigate both the weight difference and the maintenance requirements. Some of the mini racers are significantly more wrench dependant than others.

Jason81

May 2, 2001
Jasle I am moving to your neck of the woods in a couple months (New Mexico). I have not given much thought to a new Corbra as I do not want to spend that much and I hear that the suspension sucks. I have been looking at 2000 Polini X1 Works and 2002 Ktm Pro Jr. I have not heard much good about the Ktm as far as reliablity. I am leaning to the Polini. I can get one for around 2200.00 and a new KTM is about 600 more out the door. I thank you all for your advise. I dont want a new Polini as I do not want him to have all 14 hp (I hear it is 14.4 to be exact). My son realy likes the Pro Jr...

Jason81

May 2, 2001
Just want to say thanks to everyone for the advice. I purchased a 2000 Polini X-1 Works for my son. It is in good condition and he likes it alot. I bought this because I was afraid that he would get scared fo the power. I was wrong... he loves it. He got about a half hour in tonight on it as is very excited. He was throwing roost and jumping it within this time. Crazy how fast kids learn these things.... Amazing.... and I worry.... ;)

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
gimme a PM when you move. We sometimes shoot over to NM to race. Also your Loretta regional qualifier is in Cedar City Utah...That is also ours. We will be there as we intend to go to loretta and Ponca this year.

Top Bottom