NEw or Used for a new rider?????

zam42

May 18, 2002
I am new to dirt bikes and will be doing mostly trail riding but would love to experiment with track's I am 6'4" and weigh 215 to 220 lbs. what bike should I be looking at. I realize a 125 is a good learner bike but will I out grow it too quickly? I have ridden sleds for quite a while and need a summer hobby. (maybe winter too after the last few crappy ones.) Also I dont want to get ripped off by getting used. any help would be great thanks for the info guys! :p

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
You didn't say if you had any riding experience. If you want trails and maybe tracks, then I would lean towards a used 250 Motocrosser. You just need to start slow because they have some sudden power that could get you in trouble. If you have no experience, I would point you towards something like a Kawasaki KDX or a Honda XR 250. Get some experience and then get yourself what you really want later. There is nothing wrong with buying used, as long as you know or have someone with who knows what to look out for. Good luck and have fun.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
get a used one so that way once you get done with your crashing all the time phase that won't happen after you've been riding for awhile you won't get as depressed when you break something :) I didn't have a bike of my own for 5 years and when I got back into ridding a picked up a used good condition 86 cr125 for $800 that way you won't be out tons of cash either but get something alittle newer then that at least early 90's.

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
I agree...get something used for a used bike. I started out used, then more used, then another used...NOW I have a new bike and it is AWESOME! :aj:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
I would suggest to you, to consider how much track time you want. And how much trail time you want. At your size (no offense, I'm about the same) a bike like a XR or KDX would be great in the woods. But would really suck at the track, unless you went and revalved the forks, stiffer springs etc. etc. etc.
But being new to bikes like you said, and not having much experience, especially with jumping. These 2 bikes (even set up suspension wise) would not be to fun on a track. From my point of view anyway. I owned a KDX.
You can always buy a MX bike, and change the gearing, and throw in a flywheel weight with no problem if you have to (to mellow out the power for tight woods riding). But I would suggest really thinking about how much time you'll be spending where (i.e. riding). This is always better to do before you get it, so later on you don't have to go get another bike to better suit what riding you do.
If you go the used route. I was always fond of the 96 and up YZs. Because so many of the parts are interchangable. And still availiable in quanity. That is something to look at.
And one other thing to think about. Go to local dealers and see who keeps the best stock of parts (on hand). I can go to our local Yami dealer, and no matter what I need they have it on hand. This is always a plus.

Good luck

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
I agree with Wraith, You really need to decide what type of terrain you'll be riding on, this will narrow your search down by about 50%. Since you ride sleds, I will assume that you'll go for trails. Since I ride a KDX I'm a bit biased, I'll point you in the direction of the KDX 220. I would encourage you to look used until you get over the "crash-itis" syndrome. What ever you decide, take these into consideration;
1. What type of terrain? Track or trail?
2. What type of bike? Two stroke or four?
3. What is your skill level? Beginner or experienced?
4. How big is your wallet?
Answer these questions and you'll find youself painted into a corner with the bike you need as a dancing partner, enjoy!!

Top Bottom