fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
We just got an 02 125sx for my brother this past weekend. Right now I'm on an 02 YZ250, and I tell you what....The KTM walks all over my bike. After riding the SX, i couldn't ride my YZ anymore....The handling, the motor, the ergos were all there. I'm almost conviced of jumping back to the 125's for this thing....

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Welcome to the pumpkin patch. You are just now discovering what many of us that have ridden orange for awhile have known for years. Magazine testers are biased. Riding a Euro bike takes some getting used to, but once you understand the handling/power differences it's hard to go back!

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Thanks Ktmboy....

Well, I did it....Just picked up the 03 125SX last night...Can't wait to get this thing out there and rip. I'm going through the usual break in routine. I just read the manual last night. The one thing I noticed and really liked is the lower shock bearing. No lube required?!?! If that's true, I'm in heaven. One thing I hated doing was servicing the linkage bearings. What a pain!!
Just looking over this thing and reading through the manual, you can really see the quality.

How's the bridgestone tires that come on it? It doesn't look like too bad of a tire. Usually the first thing I do is dump the stock rubber for some Michelin's. But going by the quality of everything else on the bike, these tire's may not be too shabby...

Any tips from the KTM veteran's around here on what I should look out for? I know this buke is awesome, but nothing is perfect...

Thanks!!

Nick

Anssi

May 20, 2001
The one thing I noticed and really liked is the lower shock bearing. No lube required?!?!

Having only one bearing down there is good, but the no lube thing is true only until the Teflon crap goes south (and it will in a hurry) and you get a normal greasable bearing in there.

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
Thanks Anssi....I kinda figured that the Teflon was too good to be true. I'll have to keep an eye on it. But either way, who can complain about having to lube just that one bearing? It's going to be so sweet only having to do that one instead of the entire linkage....

I've noticed one thing....Is there a "normal" KTM engine rattle? I had a KX and it has a usual rattle. Both our 02 & 03 have the same exact rattle...You can hear it as it's coming down from the rev's....

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I've noticed more of a 'rattle' in the final drive of the ktm. Think it's the chain 'shield' things they use vs: your more standard rollers.

But, man! It's one noisy sucker!

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
When I first got my 360 I took it back to the dealer 'cause it rattled so loud I thought I had a rod knock! They assured me it was normal. No problems so far!

fmfkx125372

Feb 1, 2001
I read over in "another forum" that you can slip a small piece of foam underneath the chain slide on top of the swing arm. Place it towards the back. They say the rattle is the chain bouncing on the hollow part of the swingarm. I haven't tried it yet, but it's worth a shot. I'm so anal about wierd noises...It'll drive me nuts until I find it....

Thanks everyone...

Top Bottom