Pantelisc

Apr 27, 2009
I'm new to dirt bikes and want to get one.
I don't have that much money though.
I'm almost 5"7 and growing, 110 pounds, and 15 years old.
I think i would ride trails and tracks and probably race a little.
So far the options i have are a 1989 Yamaha YZ85 in good condition for $500, a 2004 Suzuki DRX110 for $850. Oh yeah for both those the guy would be giving me all the gear. Also i know someone selling a 2007 Yamaha YZ125, but i don't know how much yet.

199cr125199

Mod Ban
Mar 3, 2009
all those u said are bad choices and too small i would find a good 125cc thats not too old find a 92 and up or a 85cc try honda they sell them for cheap used where do u live i could help u find a good bike and how much money do u have to get one

Pantelisc

Apr 27, 2009
i don't have that much which is the problem.
But i was thinking about getting the 85 to learn on and i'm getting all the gear which is like $300 or $400 right there and then i could sell the 85 for like $400 once i learn better and get a 125 and by then ill have more money.

Apr 30, 2007
As the others have said, the bikes you listed are going to be too small. (This excluding the 125).

What will your primary riding area be? If you are going to be mostly on trails, you'll want to get a solid 4-stroke bike, such as a Honda CRF 250X, or Honda XR 250. These will have good enough suspension for doing smaller jumps, but will NOT handle a motocross track very well. If you shop around, you will be able to pick up an XR250 for about 12-1500$ This bike is very low maintenance. All you'd really have to do is change the oil regularly, and check the chain and sprockets from time to time.

If you are looking to get into racing, a Honda CR 125 (or Yamaha YZ125, or Suzuki RM125, or KTM 125SX) would be about perfect for you. This (and all the others mentioned here) is a racing bike, and not so easy to learn on if you haven't had any experience riding before. These bikes also take a fair amount of maintenance too. You need to use premium gas, and premix the oil and gas every time you fill up (or mix it 5 gallons at a time).

They are ridiculously fun, and about perfect for your height and weight once you get used to them, on trails, they aren't as great because of the power style (you are either full throttle, or bogging too slow). I had one, and it liked trees pretty well. However, there are tons of them around for some pretty decent prices. If you shop carefully, and find a well maintained one in the range of 1998-2001, you should be right around 1200 dollars.

Lastly, you have to save some cash for gear. GOOD GEAR!! Don't even sit on the bike without a good helmet and goggles. Expect to spend 100 dollars minimum on the helmet (check for closeouts online), goggles you can find for about 25. Boots come next, and I won't ride without MX boots. Those also run at about 100 bucks (check closeouts online in places like dennis kirk, or mxsouth). If you absolutely can't afford them, wear a pair of leather over the ankle height workboots. Even in a low speed tip-over on ANY kind of bike, the footpeg will stuff itself through your leg. Last up, but not least important is a chest protector. For trail riding, it keeps your internal organs nice and happy instead of them being pierced by wayward sticks. If you crash (you will, no matter how careful you are), it really saves you some nasty scrapes and from having rocks embedded in your torso. These you can buy used for 20 bucks on craigslist.

Pantelisc

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks.
But, i don't have 1200ish yet.
All the gear this guy is giving me is nice.
Like all of it would cost me $300 or $400 ish, and im getting the gear and bike for $500.
I am going to do both trail and tracks.
I want to ride a.s.a.p so i'll probably just get the 85, but what general maitenance is there.
thanks.

Apr 30, 2007
The YZ85 is going to be very close maintenance to what I wrote for the 125 bikes, as it is a 2-stroke engine. For general riding, it'll be fun for a short while. It would be definitely a fun one to learn on even. Parts will be fairly hard to find, but if you look, they are there and available.

A 1989 YZ85 may be a race bike, but it is *20 years old.* The suspension just isn't good enough for a modern track though, and you won't keep up to the modern 80s and 85s.

How much are you willing to spend?

Pantelisc

Apr 27, 2009
Well i have $500.
Also the suspension on it is upgraded, i'm not sure what though.
Here are some pictures.
See my plan is again, to get all this stuff because it has all the gear to and the bike for $500, and the guy has a 4 bike trailer i might get for a couple hundred.
Then once i ride it for a few months and get the feel better for 2 strokes/dirt bikes, sell it for like $500 or $600 and make my money back and have the gear and then i will probably have more money or i will be saving for a 125cc, because i can't afford one yet. I don't really like 4 strokes, i want to do motocross after like a year or something of riding.
Also i was wondering about trailers, i have a camry with a hitch.
i have a couple hundred for a trailer and i just need to carry 2 bikes.
I like the ones that are like bike racks kinda, do you know if they have those for like $200 anywhere. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

ODM2

Mar 16, 2009
I'm not much of a deferred gratification person, myself. You have a plan you like. You want someone to tell you it is a good plan, and nobody has done that.....But... you know... if the choice is between riding now, and waiting and waiting and earning those pennies for a real bike....well... NOW is always a good time to ride.

I think the question is- DOES THE BIKE RUN??? Will you be able to ride it for at least a few months without substantial repairs? It may not last much longer than that. But think of the short term fun to be had!!

REALLY IMPORTANT NOTE said:
Most likely you WILL NOT recoup your money on that bike.

(I noticed as you were scheming (daydreaming) the value of the bike went up in your mind. $400 to $500 or even $600 by the time you sold it in the future. More likely, you will take an already beaten up bike and beat it up worse....Losing its remaining value.)

DOES IT RUN??? WILL IT RUN????

If it gets you out there, giving you a chance to learn.... --Fully geared--- and gives you a chance to have some fun... And provided you understand you are still going to have to save cash up for a bike that is in a lot better shape and will meet your needs better next year,... then, what the heck... Grab it and go have yourself some fun.
__
As for one bike trailers- you are going to need a 2" receptacle and your car hitch will have to be certified to carry the weight of the bike. (and I'd think future bike here.)
I love my one-bike rack, but, with your car and future bike needs you'd probably be safer with a regular trailer.

Pantelisc

Apr 27, 2009
Thanks. The bike does run, first kick. The guy i am getting it off is legit, and if anything was wrong with it i could get my money back. Nothing is wrong with it. It's in really good condition. Ya i want to do this just making sure. I'm gonna start saving for a 125 right now, i'll have a couple hundred left over and i get allowance but it will take a while.
The KX80 was the first bike in the picture.
So you guys don't think thats the KD80.
Thanks a lot everyone :)

Top Bottom