StevenPo

Oct 26, 2008
Hi, I'm trying to cross the gap between somewhat new to intermediate in my riding experience and I need some advice on what my next step up should be.

For the past two years I've been riding a yamaha xt 225 four stroke through the fields/trails around my house. I'd just recently started riding through rougher trails and had decided to get a newer bike. This is mostly because the xt, being a dual sport, was not too sufficient in riding through rough trails.

So, my dad bought me a 04 ktm exc 200 2 stroke as my next step up. The problem is that this bike is a little too much and the style of riding is drastically different to what I'm used to.

My question is what type of bike would you recommend as a better next step. I want a bike that is more powerful than the xt but not a 2 stroke and must have electric start. I had a lot of trouble getting the KTM started. Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

BTW I'm 5'8 130 pounds if that helps.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I got to ride a 200exc at a enduro once a few years ago and it was one of the most fun bikes I've ridden, but that's beside the question

XRpred mentioned a good one or a KLX 250s

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to go inflat my dinghy :yikes: :laugh:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Wow I'd think a 200 exc would be a GREAT option, wide ratio trans and made for the type of riding you say you are doing. Maybe spend a little time getting aquatinted with the new bike and if that doesn't work out let me know and maybe I'll consider trading my tricked out XR250 :)

StevenPo

Oct 26, 2008
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Today was the first and only day I've ridden it so far, I'll definetaly experiment with it
more.
The main reason I had doubts was because my dad really stressed that he thought it was the wrong bike for me after watching me ride. There's also the issue with the neighbors complaining about the noise.
I admit that it did feel awkward but I think I could learn to handle it. Again, I really appreciate all your comments.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I agree with everyone else. The KTM200s are nice bikes. As far as the noise, look into the FMF Q Stealth silencer. I think they just came out, so you may have trouble finding one at a distributor. They are available direct from FMF for your bike. $180. Happy neighbors are priceless!

Top Bottom