lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
Hey all, I've recently come under the speculation that i should be running some sort of race/pump gas or pump gas/octane booster mix in my 01' YZ 125 to avoid detonation and allow the motor to run at optimal performance. What do you guys think will work best for a 19 year old college kid on a limited budget who rides motocross and will be racing the 125 Novice class this summer? I've heard race gases are very expensive and similiar results can be produced with the mix of a good octane booster in high test pump gas. Your opinions will be much appreciated!

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Race fuel is expensive but the increased throttle response is very impressive.

You could always mix it 50/50 with pump to save some money.

Stay away from pump with ethanol in it.

I'm getting 105 race fuel for $4.75/gal. I can get 110 race fuel for $4.25.

Search on here for "octane booster" I think you'll find that race gas is preferred to the octane booster.

Faded

~SPONSOR~
Jan 7, 2003
If you're just trying to curb detonation, looking for some consistency and to save $$$ then 100LL AvGas might be just the ticket. I'd take that over preimuim pump and an OTC octane booster...

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
I have herd that octane booster can "melt" ur reeds... I cant see anything like that happening...
You can buy really high octane gas, and use the gas as a octane booster... there is no need to run 100% race gas or 50% race gas if ur bike is not detonating, most stock motors will not on 93 octane pump gas.
Also the lead in the race gas helps reduce detionation, and provides additional lube to the rings, and cyl

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
Thanks for the tips guys its greatly appreciated. I'm going home this week for spring break and am planning on gettin 3 or 4 good days in at the track so I just wanted to clear that up in advance.

CspineRider

Jun 16, 2005
Running race gas if your motor doesnt call for it IE: modded. is useless and a waste of money. If your worried about detonation, make sure your jetted right and your using a good quality 2 stroke oil. Manufactures dont make bike so you have to run race gas. Save your money.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Running race gas if your motor doesnt call for it IE: modded. is useless and a waste of money.
Unless of course consistant jetting is important to you.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I just knew that would trip someones trigger !
Biggest advantage of race gas over pump gas is consistancy.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Twisted-Grip said:
RACING GAS is better than octane booster but its expensive where i live $6.00 a gallon, the only good thing is that i can get it from the pump.

Actually, from the pump is bad, isn't it - you never know what's going to be down in that tank and thus in your gas.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The same can be said for 93 octane pump gas.

I have a local station with a race gas pump. I've used it for years in my road race bikes and now in my dirt bikes and never had a problem.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
I've been using the Torco race gas concentrate mixed with 91 unleaded pump gas... The reviews are all really good on it and my heavily modified katoom seems to like it...

02rm125

Mar 15, 2006
you dont need race gas unless your running higher than stock compression. If your bike isnt detonating, theres no need for race gas, premium pump gas will work just fine

Top Bottom