dunes4me520

Sep 28, 2006
i dont know if this is a stupid question but i took the cover off of my stator and there was a little bit of oil in the case. is that bad. also what is the best way to find top dead center on a 520 sx

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
4 strokes DO have oil behind the case, 2 strokes do not. All is well.

As to TDC, it should have marks on the stator. If you are checking valve clearances, be sure to hit TDC right after the intakes close.

Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
Grady is correct that their is no oil behind the cover, however if their is oil on the flywheel or a little oil in that area your main seal is most likely leaking and allowing engine oil to get into that area. So, all is not well. A little oil usually means alot if not fixed.

KTM-Lew

Jan 26, 2002
Midhigh said:
Grady is correct that their is no oil behind the cover, however if their is oil on the flywheel or a little oil in that area your main seal is most likely leaking and allowing engine oil to get into that area. So, all is not well. A little oil usually means alot if not fixed.

I think you misunderstood. He has 520 4-stroke. They DO have oil in the flywheel area. It is used to cool the stator on these engines. :nod:

Dunes
If you have the F/W cover off look at the ignitor/pick-up coil. There is a magnet on the OUTSIDE of the flywheel that passes under the coil. When the lower edge passes by the coil it is at TDC. There is a bolt that is screwed into the crankcase that goes in from under the front center. That bolt is to lock the crank at TDC. You remove the bolt, it has a thick brass washer on it, remove the washer and reinsert the bolt. The end of the bolt goes into a notch in the crank's flywheel locating it at the proper spot. Just remove the bolt and shine a light in the hole. You should be able to see the notch.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I just replaced the seal on the same side of my 360. It wasnt to tough, seal was like 17 bucks and just took an hour or so. Definelty get it replaced, you could have big problems if it is not fixed.

Top Bottom