jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
I have a line on a new '02 KX250 and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the '02's that they could share.
I'm thinking of racing the Enduro and HS Fall series so I hope that it is reliable, has a decent smooth pwer band and doesn't turn like a truck!!
Oh, '01 YZ250F for sale!!

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I race Cross Country on an 02 KX250 and here's what I did:
O-ring chain
48t rear sprocket
One leaner on Pilot and Main, and dropped the needle one position.
Flywheel weight
Suspension revalve
Handguards
Skid plate and aluminum frame guards
Pro-tapers
Steering damper
Clark 3.2g tank
I mix my gas at 40:1 and change the oil after every race. I also use Iridium plugs and change after every other race.
I've had absolutely no probs with this bike.

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
darnjr,
How was the turning and were you able to get the 48mm forks to be soft enough but yet controlled thru the rough stuff?
Did you find it HEAVY? I found that after placing all of the protection stuff on the 250F it became as heavy or heavier than a 2smoke.
Thx.

Oh, I'm asking $4575.00 for the 250F but I will give you a DRN discount ans you can have it for $4350. The top end was just done a few months ago and I haven't ridden it much in the the last 6 months, email me at jamest@netapp.com for more info.
Cheers!!

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I think it turns as well as the KLX I used to have, and KLXs turn very well. I tried different fork heights and I usually go with 5-8mm between the top of the triple clamp and the bottom of the fork cap.
The revalve helped a lot with the plushness of the suspension and it does not feel like it's bottoming at mid-stroke anymore. I have the compression clickers all the way out right now and I'm thinking about trying softer springs because it is still a touch stiff. If I had to do it over, I would have tried the softer springs and lower oil level first.
I didn't notice the weight diference when I put on the armor. But then it's still 40 pounds lighter than my KLX was.

XR400RMan

Dec 11, 2000
Yeah if you have the money wait until the 2003's come out, They are suppose to be a totally new bike this year, I saw some pictures somewhere of the 2003 125 and 250 and they looked awesome, Matt

jimt_yz400

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 25, 2000
Ya, I could wait but when you can get an '02 for $3999.00 in the crate and the new ones will be MUCH more, it makes you think more about buying the '02.

Manndi

Feb 6, 2024
I race Cross Country on an 02 KX250 and here's what I did:
O-ring chain
48t rear sprocket
One leaner on Pilot and Main, and dropped the needle one position.
Flywheel weight
Suspension revalve
Handguards
Skid plate and aluminum frame guards
Pro-tapers
Steering damper
Clark 3.2g tank
I mix my gas at 40:1 and change the oil after every race. I also use Iridium plugs and change after every other race.
I've had absolutely no probs with this bike.
Where do you get the kickstarter from? I cant seem to find it anywhere.

Top Bottom