Other Board Observation's

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
What a great challenge Dirtrider came up with.!!
Here is what I have seen on the other boards.(for those who havent looked)

KTMTalk.com no dec. yet =

CRF'sonly-CRF450X = purpose built off-road bike

Dirtrider.com-yz250 = with a bias towards off-road.

Thumpertalk-2006 DRZ475TT = Street Legal, off-road weapon that also comes complete with supermoto capability.

Minibiketalk-Honda ?? = only 97 members only like 50 posts! for the whole site...

Disclaimer:
For reference only. :nod:

Crazy

Chime in with comments....NO board bashing please..

Last edited:

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I think it is all great. I am really interested in how every site's bike turns out. I think there are some really good discussions going on and it has made for some really entertaining reading.

Ivan

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
truespode said:
I think it is all great. I am really interested in how every site's bike turns out. I think there are some really good discussions going on and it has made for some really entertaining reading.

Ivan
I have not visited any other sites (it feels like spying) but I think this is about the coolest idea that Jimmy could have cooked up.

Each site possesses a tremendous amount of focused talent that will be reflected in the machine they submit.

I have a big DS machine, so I am interested in what Thumpertalk produces, have a KTM 200, so will enjoy seeing the KTMTalk submission and dream of someday owning a AFX, so have enjoyed the spirited discussions here at DRN.

I know each and every board will pull together a bike representing the focus and interest of their members. I hope that all the discussions on each site are eventually posted for all to read.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think it will be interesting but also am somewhat sad that it was such a short fuse. It's not like DR didn't know they had to fill "X" amount of space in each month's magazine and dumping this with such a quick turn around will no doubt leave all the boards wishing for more time.

If Jimmy is really sharp he'll delve in to some of the cool bikes that members from various foums have built up. Just at DRN I know there are some really interesting bikes that are well beyond just a bolt on fest.

I'm not suprised the KTM board chose a KTM and am not sprised they are having a difficult time nailing down a bike, they are all great bikes! The choice of a YZ by DRC isn't a big suprise either as the CRF by that forum. I hope the mini forum can pull something together as that's a big market and they could really get some good exposure if it's a nice piece. The DRZ from TT is a little bit of a suprise with all of the current tech bikes available but I shouldn't talk as I built an XR up LOL! No doubt they will all be interesting but to be perfectly honest the bike I would want at this point in the program is the AFX and I really suspect in the end the answer will be the same. Nothing against any of the other choices but I really believe the AFX is going to be the ultimate off road bike and I've seen an AF with motard setup so the only thing it would be lacking is the mini end. :)

It will be great fun no matter what!

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Tony Eeds said:
I know each and every board will pull together a bike representing the focus and interest of their members.

It'll be like each board is giving birth to a genetically modified baby. An über moto baby. Should we get cigars? :cool:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Pat forgets that this isn't board against board competition. I too will be looking forward to reading about all the bikes. Like Tony I have resisted the temptation to look at what others are doing, I want to wait and see the magazine then go back and read what went into each one.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
The DRZ choice for the Thumpertalk board supprised me, but they had the bike redaily available and there is a pretty serious Suzuki guy with loads of talent and can make that bike's motor work. He is a Tech for a Suzuki shop and has had tons of dyno work with the bike. He knows what will work with that bike and is very respected in the forum as a knowledgable person. With all that said I realy don't find it all that suprising :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
WIth the passions we all share, I can't imagine any of the boards providing a less than desirable bike.

To me, it will be one of the most interesting 'shoot-outs' published. The whole thing being uneffected by any sort of monetary incentives, and being biased only to the knowledge and imaginations of the perspective memberships, makes it a fantastic prospect for a great read....-a keeper.

I only hope the mini guys can participate. Maybe with some notice, a few of our own mini-gurus could help any quality site, that needed it, out. (shrug...jus' a suggestion) :)

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think the DRZ is just right actually! Lets see what it can do with no Budget!! It should also confound the Magazine guys, for who would think of a DRZ when all the adds are YZ/CRF :cool:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yup this is a really cool idea, as for Jimmy not giving much lead time, I'd bet that it was intentional. And the DRZ ,there is a lot of room for improvement and it is a good bike to start with, just not great. Sorta like a KDX but with better suspension and more weight :) I just wish I'd have noticed it was happening sooner to get in on more choices.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
kmccune said:
Yup this is a really cool idea, as for Jimmy not giving much lead time, I'd bet that it was intentional.
My guess is that you are right I almost think he figured that he could show how the websites are all fluff and no substance. After all the magazines can get their bikes ready for tests but with all the claimed knowledge on the web look they couldn't get one bike ready. I hope he is shocked when all the bikes show up and are not just thrown together but actually built in a thought out manner. This should prove go a long ways to proving the substancial power of the web boards.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Magazines always take a LONG time to publish an article/stories/pictures - Usually 3-4 months. My experience has been that after an editor accepts something, I won't see it for at least three months in print. There's lots of editing, layout, printing, mailing - all that takes time, so planning months in advance is a necessary evil. Deadlines have to be kept and they're usually tight if its an assignment.

Top Bottom