Oxtar off-road boots: Ankle protection like Sidi?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I currently own Sidi Force Flex boots. They are excellent in terms of ankle protection. Presumably this is because of the exoskeletal design. Unfortunately, they really chew the heck out of the sides of my bike. So I'm looking for an alternative with the same level of ankle protection. Specifically, my main concern is adequate resistance to what's called ankle dorsiflexion. I need a boot that protects me from my toes getting too close to my shin on big hits. (Bad ankles) The only other boots I know of that employ the exoskeletal design are the Gaerne SG10 and the Octar Competition and Pro. I've heard the Gaerne's are good but not great in the ankle dorsiflexion area which is exactly what I need. So I'm looking for feedback on the Oxtar's. Bottom line is I'm looking for a boot that doesn't tear up my bike yet allows me to land hard off jumps while riding on the balls of my feet. Any feedback on the Oxtar's or any other suggestions would be appreciated. :)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I can only confrim 2nd hand from a riding bud who has been wearing them since last year and everytime I ask about them I get lots of rave review marks from him. I would compare them more to fitment like a tech 8 but with more of the ankle support of the sidi's. They have some sort of built in ankle brace along with a bootie. He swears up and down they are comfortable and won't wear anything else and really stresses them on me cause I need new boots and ankle support is very important to me also. I take his word for it cause I know he's not bs'ing me they are great boots and look to hold up really well I think I saw some mail order place closing out the '04 models for like $295 recently thats pretty good since they are $320 msrp. So basically what i'm saying is they are good boots I don't think you'll be disappointed, just try them on first :) I hate to see ya waste cash.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
Thanks MXP. I just ordered a pair of the TCX Pro's from MX-South for $289 plus shipping. It appears these boots have not sold very well but all the information I can get on them indicates they are perfect for me. They incorporate the exoskeleton design and have mechanical stops to prevent the ankle from bending too far in any direction. I'll update this thread once I get them.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I don't understand why they don't sell they look like awesome boots, I know those boots are what caused aplinestars to redo the sole design on the tech 8's.

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
OK, I have some time on my Oxtar boots now and can provide some comparative feedback. Worthy of noting, prior to these Oxtars I've owned the following boots; in chronological order: Alpinestar Tech 7, Alpinestar Tech 8, Sidi Forceflex SRS, Oxtar TCS Pro. The Alpinestar Tech 7's fit and lasted well. But the ankle protection was insufficient for me. As long as I had them, my ankles were sore. The Alpinestar Tech 8's fit well and lasted well. The ankle protection was very good. The only issues I had with them is they were very big and bulky and the soles seemed to get chewed up pretty easily. Generally they were good boots. Then I went to the Sidi Forceflex SRS's. The ankle protection is excellent and they are a nice, sleek, good looking boot. On the negative side, putting them on is like performing surgery. You have to adjust and readjust the buckles like crazy every time you put them on. Additionally, these boots chew up your bike big time; I mean big time. I finally installed leather chaps on the inside of them. This helped but is not a long term solution. Furthermore, the soles were showing signs of wear very quickly; but they are replaceable. I still have these boots and will keep them as a spare. Purely from a function standpoint, not considering putting them on or bike wear and tear, they are excellent boots. Finally this brings me to the Oxtars. Honestly, I think these are the best of the pack. They fit very well but are a little undersized. I measure at an 11 1/2 C. The size 12 Oxtars fit me perfectly. They are a little bulkier than the Sidis but not as bulky as the Alpinestar Tech 8's. The ankle protection is excellent. They incorporate the exoskeletal design with mechanical stops to prevent over extension in any direction. Sidi and Gearne both incorporate the exoskeletal design also but neither have mechincal stops as does the Oxtar. This gives me an added level of protection confidence. Furthermore, the Oxtar has the inner booty; like the Astar tech 8 but unlike the Sidi or Gearne. This makes the fit very nice and snug; just right. The soles of the Oxtars are also unique. After several rides I can't detect any wear yet. The Oxtar soles are clearly better than the AStars or Sidis. So after owning two models of AStars and the Sidi Forceflex's, the Oxtars are my favorite. I think they're the most complete package. I got mine at MX-South for $289. In a pinch, I would buy the Alpinestar tech 8's again. And if I was a factory rider with no concern for the effect that boots had on my equipment, I'd probably get the Sidi's. But for the average weekend warrior looking for excellent form and function, I think the Oxtars are the best of this bunch. I hope this write up helps some folks make decisions.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Thanks for the update MXTex! It's just the kind of info I was looking for. I too have gone through the Tech 8s and most recently Sidis. I really like my Sidis, but they are a little hard on the bike. My Sidis are due for replacement and I've been considering trying something else but had the same concerns as you about "dorsiflexion". My ankles are shot too. Nice to hear the Oxtars are working out for you. I had heard the sizing was a bit wonky. What size were your Sidis? I'm wearing a snug 45 in Sidi now and would go 46 next time round. Just wondering if I'd need the 12 in Oxtar as well?

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
JTT,
I wear the 46's in the Sidi's and they fit me just right. The 46's (or 11's) in the Sidi's are equivalent to the 12's in the Oxtar's. Good luck.

MXTex

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I have been looking into the Sidi boots recently and was wondering if you could elaborate a little on how they tear up your bike?

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
DEX, basically, instead of a nice soft leather patch on the inside leg, they use a hard plastic pad. This pad rubs on the bike as you squeeze with your knees and wears at the plastic and frame paint. I don't really find it that bad, although leather is less abrasive for sure.

Top Bottom