kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
ok so its probably a stupid question but i need a cylinder for my 94 wr250. i went and did a bunch of searching and the cylinder number are the same through quite a few years.. all except for the first three numbers/letters. my question is are these items the same because i heard that those are just year and model numbers (example: on the cylinder it says like "4EW") and those would be the first three of the part number. but the rest of the numbers are all the same. does that make sense? someone help! (BTW my local dealer guys are effin idiots)

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
hi, im pretty sure the yz250 engines were the same from 93-96 and a barrell off one of those should work on your wr. the wr engines from the same years should be the same also but you would have to do a side by side comparison. as for the 3 digit model code it is different year to year but that doesnt mean a different year barrell wont work. for instance according to my clymer manual the 4EW code is for a 93' YZ250E engine?
good luck with your search, try flea-bay.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
I'm not sure specifically for the wr, but some cylinders are stamped with slightly different numbers for +/- numbers during machining. meaning the bore size is a few thousandths bigger or smaller.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Looked it up on fische finder, and that cylinder was used in the following bikes:

1994 YZ250
94-97 WR250

That is it.

Have you looked into getting it sleeved? Might be an option for you and you can also big bore it out to.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
yamaha part no's are as such 4JX-11311-00-00 the 11311 denotes an engine cylinder on a single cylinder bike 4jx denotes which model it was made for, since that cyclinder was designed for a 1994 yz 250 and the 94 t0 97 wr's used it they get that 4jx designation
now the piston for that bike is 4EW-11631-01-A0 , the 11631 is a yamaha piston on all bikes , the 4ew is a 1993 yz250, since that piston is used in various places but it was originally designed for the 93 it keeps that 4ew , the 01-a0 is yamaha's place for oversize ,color information and /or upgrade/ recall information ,there will be a colored dot on your cylinder and you tell the parts guy what color it is he can figure out what size piston you need and order the right one by using that 01-a0 or whatever number it happens to be......... or just get a wiseco since they aren't as finicky about microsizes.

I believe your cases will have a 2vm on it now any yamaha case that has the 2vm on it whether it is a 92 yz,95 wr,96yz whathaveyous......that cylinder will bolt on your cases and if you match reed boots to your carberator, your powervalve assembly,piston, head and pipe and that is when things get tricky a 96 yz cylinder will fit on that bike but the exhuast spigot is different and since there is a frame change between 95 and 96, a 96 pipe will not fit your bike although a 95 pipe will fit your frame and also a 96 cylinder ...........I hope you get the idea

when looking for used parts you can a lot of very useful info off of Yamaha's web site just start looking up parts for different year bikes and see if they have the same part # and /or how many different part #s are surrounding it

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
also yamaha uses part no's that look like this 98511-06012-00 or 90430-12207-00 they are used for bolts washers circlips and such that are not a bike specific part I havent been able to completely figure it out completely but if you know it is a bolt and what kind of bolt it is you can tell that a 98511-06012-00 is some kind of bolt that is a 6 mm thread by 12mm long

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
Looked it up on fische finder, and that cylinder was used in the following bikes:

1994 YZ250
94-97 WR250

That is it.

not according to yamaha's online parts catalogue, like i said earlier it shows the 4EW barrell on the 93' yz250e model only.
in fact it shows the 94'-97' models wr250zf-wr250zh (and 94' yz250f) to all use a 4JX barrell?
however as i said there is a lot of parts interchangability with the blue bikes, and as long as you're prepared to do some hunting around other cylinders will fit.

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
hmm... now thats alot o stuff for my lil brain to understand. now i am aware that the 94-97 wr and the 94 yz are the same. and i think i got the "4ew" part, but when those numbers vary slightly, for example, 4jx to 4ew, does that actually mean they are different, or just put on different bikes? because visually (photos online) they look alike and even the power valve and other numbers are the same from different years. i dont expect the exzact answer im lookin for but i hope to understand it a little better. i have looked into a sleeve but i dont want a cast sleeve (i dont think?) and here in cali you cant replate so finding a cheap enough option is my next step.

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
the differences you're asking about are minor tuning tweeks from year to year such as different port timing or port shape etc.. chances are if the cylinder is from that model range it will work ok but in some cases like Matt90GT said there might be a difference in pipe fitment etc.. it really helps if you can hold them side to side and do a comparison.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
kingbrian said:
.now i am aware that the 94-97 wr and the 94 yz are the same. and i think i got the "4ew" part, but when those numbers vary slightly, for example, 4jx to 4ew, does that actually mean they are different, or just put on different bikes? because visually (photos online) they look alike and even the power valve and other numbers are the same from different years.

If there is a difference ,there is a difference I have no idea if there is any rhyme or reason to how close the first three model designation numbers mean but.....

if you look at a parts breakdown and you see your 94 wr had a 4ew head, a 4ew pipe, a 4ew piston, a 4ew powervalve etc etc and a 4jx cylinder you can guess with fairly good certainty that the only difference between the 94 and say a 93 yz that had everything 4ew was a different cylinder from porting,tuning since the piston and everything that cooincides with the cylinder is the same....... what that means to you is that when parts hunting for something used is that a 93 cylinder would be a direct bolt on without any problems.

now if you look at a 95 yz cylinder you will see that although it is the same cases same crank same piston the powervalv,cylinder, exhaust pipe, reed block now have a 4mx model designation on the part numbers you can see that if you buy a 95 yz cylinder for your bike you might have fitment problems and have to get a pipe and a power valve assembly
(expensive a and not a good junk yard find to get your bike running for cheap)

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
steve.emma said:
not according to yamaha's online parts catalogue, like i said earlier it shows the 4EW barrell on the 93' yz250e model only.
in fact it shows the 94'-97' models wr250zf-wr250zh (and 94' yz250f) to all use a 4JX barrell?
however as i said there is a lot of parts interchangability with the blue bikes, and as long as you're prepared to do some hunting around other cylinders will fit.

Have you ever used fische finder? Very handy software most all US dealers use it. There is a "where used" button and will show what bikes that EXACT part is used on.

So you may have a -10 or -20 part number which is a revision and that will usually not find it under that search unless it is superceeded in the software.

So again, those are the only bikes that use the exact cylinder.

jsantapau

Nov 10, 2008
so basicly we know that a 94 yz and a 94 to 97 wr are the exact same the 93 yz will bolt right on without any issues except for tuning, and that anything else may recquire different parts to make it work, with a new cylinder costing 700$ a couple fo years ago and ebay cylinders I have seen going for 200$ ... you can get your cylinder bored,ported and plated fairly economical compared to the other options

having a ported 1994 wr 265 yamaha would have to be a real fun bike compared to an ebay,cycle salvage,hodge podge, mish mosh of parts that where already worn before you bought them ..........trust me on that

Top Bottom