Picking up 06CR250 in spring.........

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Hey guys new to the forum.

Had a 91 KX250 which I sold early in the fall. It was a great bike and had a good amount of balls.

I wanted to purchase a new bike, and well my choice is 2 stroke red. I've read numerous reviews on the bike and I know its not the best engine choice out there in the 06 group. But Honda's fit and finish, ergonomics, build quality, suspension and braking are and have always been amongst the top. Plus I'm 230lbs so I figure the frame will handle my weight a bit nicer. No I don't want blue, I don't like the ergo's or the solid bar clamps. I can even get a deal on blue because my bosses husband is the accountant for yami here locally.

I know these reviews nit pick the bikes and perhaps an average rider like me (trail, track for fun, don't race) cannot tell these differences anyway, it just comes down to be comfortable with the bike. I have read some early 2000+ reviews and the cr was the top of the game back then, so I'm sure they haven't made the bike worse in 06, i.e. the 06 is a far improvement over the 2000, 2001 etc etc. Its just that the competition is stiff in 06. Additionally these tests test the bikes stock.

Another reason I choose red is because the dealer here is great and they advertise on my local web site.

All that being said, will I notice a significant improvement over my 91 KX250 power wise? I'm an engine freak so I need a good engine or one that is well accepting of mods to get it where I want it. Also I plan to install the boyesen reed cage and reeds, re-jet it and probably put a PC pipe on it, and a new head if I find the detonation a real problem. With those things done, will this motor be an 06 competitor. Again, I'm expecting a significant improvement over the 91 KX250 in every category.

I can get a left over 05 KX250 for about 6500 canadian plus tax, but the dealer is less than satisfactory to deal with and there are no bonus bucks with it. But I know the KX250 kicked ass in 05, but again I don't race and ain't no pro.
Plus I'll get some what of a deal on the honda, and $500 in honda bonus bucks, bike price 8k canadian + tax.

Any unbiased feed back you guys with experience with CR's can provide would be good. This is not a brand battle, I just want to know what I'm getting myself into.

Cheers!

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Yes, more power it will have. Pretty much any 250 from 2000 up should be a very big improvement in power and handling. Any '06 would be an excellent choice for your pourposes. I suggest that you ride before you plan what mods you'll do. You need to ask yourself if the $1000 price difference is worth it for the CR, something only you can decide.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
Yes it should be far better than the old Kawi - however, Honda has gone backwards in the motor department since 2002 when it first introduced the case reed design ( you Honda guys can all yell and scream, but it's the truth ). Of the case reed engines, the '05 is the best stock ( don't panic - the '06 is identical ). That said, you may be able to get a better deal on an '05. Plan on spending a little to boost the bottom end. Here it may even be weaker than your Kawi stock. The Hondas do seem to be better built than the others, so if you plan to keep it a while it's a good pick. I like the ergos on the Honda the best too. I've been racing them since '97, but I don't mind spending money to get the motor up to snuff. If you primary criteria is the motor - you may want to take a second look at the yellow or blue bike.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
If you want a strong engine, anyone who has ridden an orange 250 can tell you all about what a 250 2-stroke is supposed to be like.

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
I just knew that was going to happen - I could tell you nightmares about the last KTM SX I had. :bang: If it is power you are only intereste in, buy a 500 or dare I say a thumper.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other, I'm sure any of the 250s would be fine, but the 06 YZs have adjustable/removable bar mounts so you could add rubber mounts if you wanted pretty easily. The fit and finish, build quality and quality of components on my 06 YZ250 is noticeably better than my 04 CRF450. Ergos on the Honda are very good. I like Hondas too and now that I have both the Honda and the Yamaha, this idea that all the magazines seem to have, about how Hondas have the best "fit and finish" and better build quality is simply not true, at least compared to Yamaha.

Having said that, the only complaint with the CR250 seems to be with the engine. Most everything I've read seems to like most other aspects of the bike. Maybe some actual 05 or 06 owners will be able to tell you some real world experiences that can help.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
go ahead and get the honda ,put some vforce reeds, a pipe and a little jetting on it and when you get er out for a ride just slow it down a little so one of these" far superior " yz guys can catch up and loan you his bike to see what youre missing :moon:

i rode an 02 rm250 , and i will tell you now the power came on sooner than my cr , but it was a light switch , it was dead and barely picked up speed until it hit the band and the band never gained any more grunt regardless of throttle position, the 03 cr makes that turd feel like an overzealous 125, i hear, these things are yz clone motors iirc

oldfrt613

Feeble Sponsoring Member
Jun 29, 2005
J.B.426 said:
Maybe some actual 05 or 06 owners will be able to tell you some real world experiences that can help.
I am an '05 owner, and have an '04 & '05 YZ250 at my disposal. Bottom line, bottom-midrange the YZ is hands down better, but midrange and up, the CR smokes it. The CR can be a handful, because it does have a hit when it picks up the pace. The YZ is very predictable. I like the YZ for tight stuff, but when things open up I'm on my CR. The YZ has improved in build quality, but I still feel the CR is better. By the way - bolt ond bar clamps have been standard on CR's since '97. They've been standard on YZ's since '06.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
after riding a '91, you will be in moto heaven regardless of which bike you buy. don't worry about it so much, go ride and have fun. you can do mods later--if you really feel it's necessary.

me, i've been racing since '86 and i've never had a modified engine--don't need it.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I would give the 06 RM 250 a close look. Best turning 250 made. And for 06 a bonus, a YZ like motor :cool:

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
I have an '05 CR250 and I love the bike. My last MXer was an '00 CR250. The '05 is better in every way. It's much faster, handles better, is lighter and has better suspension. The '05 has about the same amount (or slightly more) low end as the '00. But from the mid-range up, it's no contest. I've been riding MX bikes for over 20 years, and the '05 CR250 is the fastest I've ridden. You'll be overshooting turns until you get used to it. But the power is different from the RM and YZ. It's not "roll-on" power; it's "hold the throttle open, hold on and upshift" power. Make sure you're pointed in the right direction when you pull the pin on the thing.

It does need a 50/50 mixture of race fuel (VP C12) to unleaded gas to prevent mild detonation (a jetting refinement may fix this too, but I haven't had the chance to play with it yet). And make sure the power valve cables are properly adjusted or the bike will lose its snap.

Overall, I'm very happy with the bike. Build quality, reliability and ergos are all excellent. My only real complaint is that top end jobs are complicated by the RC valve cables and the manual is useless on how to adjust the cables. But otherwise, everything's good. You won't be sorry you got the '06.

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
Guys I really appreciated all your in put, especially you guys with first hand CR experience. I know the build quality and overall quality of the YZ is also good, I don't doubt that. And KTM, well the 300ex (?) does interest me, but they are only new here where I live (newfoundland canada), and being that a dealer has just picked up the brand. Therefor there is not much knowledge on the brand locally, which turns me away, not to mention they are a tad bit more pricey..............and I'm a Jap man.

As for Honda power, well I come from a world of honda tuner cars, motor swaps and turbos. So I'm well used to no bottom end! But I tend to be an agressive rider and know where a motor needs to be to make its power and ain't afraid to get it there. Again I don't race and only ride recreationally in gravel pits, sand pits, open trails, some track riding and old rail beds, but I enjoy the fun violent power of a 2 stroke motor thats why a 4 stroker don't interest me, even though I know the CRF450 is a powerhouse.

I am into modifying to make power, so that don't scare me. Who knows, when the novelty wears off there could be a big bore mod in its future.

Like you guys said, I will experience a world of difference from my 91KX250 in any event.

I don't like though how the bike is prone to detonation and the fact that the RC valve makes noise and can be complicated. What are the service intervals for the cables any how? Is this some thing that has to be tended to every couple of rides, or once I adjust them from break in stretch they will be fine? Is the RC valve reliable as the mechanical ones or are the prone to failure?

Again, the reviews only focus on stock bikes, why can't we have additional reviews for bikes with mods and then see how they rate.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
mine have never in 3 seasons come out of adjustment, and they cant be too complicated as i did the top end and figured it out, ive heard the sst makes 05's ping, id try a fattty

Woodzi

Sep 22, 2005
I have an 04, slightly modified and it runs great. It has lots of power for the type of riding you describe. I am coming off a modified 426 and I find the CR has lots of power. Not quite as much bottom as the 426 but equal or greater mid and top and 40lb lighter.

Interesting you mentioned KTM. My buddy has a 250 EXC with the SX mod. Power is good on the KTM but the suspension is not even close to the CR.

If your local Honda dealer is good, you won't be disappointed.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
:nod: :aj:

Hybrid

Aug 26, 2004
sick graphics man, custom I'm assuming? where did you have then done?
Damn thos aluminum frames are so sweet looking!

john3_16

May 17, 2004
Go ahead and get the CR....No it doesn't have alot of bottom but it does have a strong motor..It has consistantly made more HP than the other 250's (except for the KTM...06 CR is HP king) for the last few years..The mag editors are confusing because they call it "the perfect dyno motor" because they say it doesn't feel strong on the track...Well, it won't feel strong if you can't hold the throttle wide open for any measurable length of time....It's a mid to top motor and the only way to experience the way it feels it is to ride in that rpm range, which most people don't do...If you go to the races alot you'll know what I mean...Lot's of sick sounding 2 strokes that could sound alot better with a throttle hand that would hold them wide open.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Hybrid said:
sick graphics man, custom I'm assuming? where did you have then done?
Damn thos aluminum frames are so sweet looking!

xgx graphics obtainable thru drn sponsor mxsouth . theres a link on your left its the red mxs :) there are quite a few to choose from , there sweet, holding up pretty well

+30

Aug 2, 2005
cr's

my 03 cr is weak on bottom, I go through clutches all the time. It would be cheaper to get the motorwork done and save on my monthly clutch changes. That being said, the mid and upper mid pull harder than any 2 stroke I have ridden, the top is comparable to the others. The power delivery is strong and smooth. I feel very confident on this bike, and Im sure the 06 is similar. Make sure to remember to set the race sag...It build quality is much better than my 04 rm250. A solid choice for a new bike. I pound that 03 and never split the cases in its third year of racing.I experienced a little headshake on highspeed chop in stock form, had the suspension set up for my weight-160 and inst gld vlvs. Much better. BTW, Ill probably be selling an 04 rm soon.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
jrm said:
I. You'll be overshooting turns until you get used to it. But the power is different from the RM and YZ. It's not "roll-on" power; it's "hold the throttle open, hold on and upshift" power. Make sure you're pointed in the right direction when you pull the pin on the thing.

If you race and in the day of the 4 stroke, that is wrong type of power to be using.

jrm

Apr 30, 2002
steve125 said:
If you race and in the day of the 4 stroke, that is wrong type of power to be using.

All depends on the tracks you ride. On an open, loamy and rough natural terrain track, the CR rocks. Probably not the best for a slick, hard-packed supercross track, but then I don't ride those, so I wouldn't know.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
My 02 CR250 was the best bike I ever owned. It was also one of the most bashed bikes by the so called experts recently. Ignore the so called experts and go with what you are comfortable with. Like you said, mere mortals like us can't ride any of these bikes to their potential so it really comes down to personal preference.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
i trail ride mine along with mx and absolutely feel the 03 is a great bike, when i go to tennessee every spring in the tennessee clay mud and climb gnarly rocky muddy hillclimbs that are so long the temperature changes............i want for no other bike, as a matter of fact theres usually a few strewn along the way turning back for another attempt :nod:

Top Bottom