pw 50 won't go past idle? Help Please?

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
My little ones PW 50 won't go past idle unles you put the kill switch between the off and run mode. It idles in the start mode, then you move it to run and turn the throttle and it still only idles. If you move the switch between run and off it will rev up normally.

I'm thinking the switch is bad. The last time he rode it, it kept cutting off and I thought it was the spark plug wire as I seemed to move it and it would start and run again. I don't think that has anything to do with it though now.

Anybody had to replace this piece, wonder if you have to replace the whole throttle piece or just the switch?

Thanks,

Jim

B

biglou

It sounds like maybe something is touching and shorting out the kill circuit when it's in the "Run" position. I have the throttle/Off-Run assembly off my XR50, I bet it is similar. Seems like I remember seeing open terminals in there. Maybe take it apart and see what you can find? I'm betting the throttle cable is touching one of the terminals inside the housing, letting it ground through the carb.

bradjenson

Jun 17, 2003
I had the same problem with our PW. I disabled the stock switch and put a kill switch off a YZ on. You should get rid of the rev limiter box under the gas tank as well. The stock PW switch is also known to cause trouble when it gets wet. I have had zero problems since changing it over.

buddy12051

Jun 8, 2003
I had the same problem with my son's. My problem is when it gets wet. If you disconnect the plug behid the front number plate, it disables the start-run switch. It will start in run or start and will go. If all you disconnect is the latger connector the off position still works. Hopefuly this will help youout.

TommyJ

Aug 24, 2003
I just changed my daughters throttle cable not too long ago on her PW80 but for the life of me I cant remeber exactly what it looked like in there. It sounds wierd how to throttle movement would affect it like that- maybe a frayed cable making a ground or maybe corrosion from water sitting in there. Anyway the kill switch isnt a bad idea since water seams to be a problem with the off/run switch.

Hey Wrechdaddy,
Whats up with this rev limiter? Does the 80 have one too? It sure feels like it. If so its GOT TO GO.

ocechap

~SPONSOR~
Sep 12, 2002
Thanks guys! It does work now that it is dry. It must have gotten wet the other day at the track as well. I'll disconnect and see how that works.

Jim

tri-mx'er

May 23, 2001
Stock PW50s and water do not get along well at all. As the others have stated, the problem is in the switch and wiring. If you really take your time with some silicone and electrical tape (some shrink tube would be great too) you should be able to correct this, but the switch itself is a tough one, unless you want to switch over to a YZ style.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
when you disconnect the start/run switch you also disconnect the rev limiter. This is agains AMA rules in case you race. On early models there is not a plug to disconnect you just have to clip the wires.

TRX55

Sep 9, 2002
I had the same problem on my sons 81 pw50 and it about drove me nuts! I just disconected the rev limiter in the wiring under the gas tank, it looks like a big black diode and has a female and male connector. Since then i have had no more problems wet or dry. It still starts in run or start mode.....

Top Bottom