Questions about 1996 CR250 rear wheel...

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
My rear wheel's hub is loose in the rim, and has about 1/2" of play in the spokes in the rim. Dealer says spokes are siezed in the nipples, and there straight spokes, so they spin. Dealer wants $220 for spokes and $180 for labor. Well, I can get spokes for $3 a pop, but I think I can break them free...any advice?

Also, my (3) rear bearings are siezed up. This happens ALL the time, anyone know why? I plan on getting my parts online from Service Honda: http://www.servicehonda.com/HARD PARTS/OFF ROAD/CR250 '90-'96/rear_wheel_'92-'96.htm ...but I have questions about the collars (part 5), and the bearing retainer (part 2).

Should the collars be grooved when brand new, or are they worn from spining inside the dust seals? Do mine need replacing if they are grooved? How about the front wheel collars?

I don't see that I have the bearing retainer in my rear wheel. Supposedly it's on the side with the single bearing, and sits between the bearing and the seal, but I don't see where theres room for it, and it looks like it's the same size as the seal. Should my 96 have this? When I put the bearing in, and the seal in, their no room left.

Finally, how do you know when seals need replacing? Thanks!!!

-AR

Last edited:

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
The price of the spokes and labor seems a bit high. For a little more you can get a complete new wheel with a Talon hub and an Excel rim (at least I think so).

Collars, they are not grooved when new but they groove quickly. It depends how badly they are grooved as to whether or not they need replacing. I usually replace them if I am replacing seals.

Bearing retainer nut thingy, lack of the retainer could be why you are having bearing problems. Its on the brake side of the hub and is screwed into the threads on the center of the hub. The seal fits inside the retainer nut and the collar fits inside the seal (knee bone connected to the....nevermind). You should definitely have one. Try to get the special tool made to install the nut if you can. Its made from pretty soft aluminum and the punch method of installation can break it pretty easily. Can you guess how I know that?

Seal replacement, depends. Unless they are damaged I usually just clean them up and reuse. Just be careful taking them out or you will be buying new ones for sure.

Hope this helps.

Jackyl

Apr 29, 2002
Great info, thanks man!!! I bet that is where my problem is, and what started the downfall of my rear wheel. ;)

-AR

Top Bottom