OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Okay, after hacking up some suspicious-looking mucous this morning, I've decided that maybe smoking isn't the best deal for me. I started small, mostly social get togethers, with a beer, after.....uhh, nevermind and the like; then I told my roommate that I'd smoke with him for a month and we'd quit together so he'd have some support.....I guess you know where that got me. In any case, I don't plan on having any more ciggy's for a while. I hope that maybe someone here will take me up as a quitting partner; if not, wish me luck! :cool:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Good luck w/quitting :) Been 2-1/2 yrs since i have smoked, i dont miss it!! My lungs feel SOOOO Much better!! Food tastes alot better too and my truck doesn't stink LOL Hope all goes in your favor..
Rick

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I wish you the best of luck OAKDX. That's gotta be the hardest thing I ever tried. Failed. Hope you do better. When you gonna start this quest?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
OldassKDX said:
Actually, doesn't the big boss here take a few drags from the cancer stick every now and then? Whaddya say there Okie?
too often. I shooting for Jan 1 again, last time I lasted 3 months. It's a point you have to get to in your mind; make the decision for real. I'm working on it. I started at 16! I don't even want to say how many years that is, but that was 1976, lol.

Good luck to you! I'm with ya Jan 1.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Have you both considered the patch?? Make it easy on yourself.. I went through a program (Smoking cessations sp? put on by the American Lung Association) well worth the time i invested!!
Rick
Ps.. if you need info, i think i have a 1-800 number, let me know..

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
YZ 165.....I figure that now is just as good as any time. I'll be home for Turkey day and without most of my smoking buddies. I'll admit that I want one for sure, but its not as bad as I'd feared. Okie, I'd love to quit with ya, but frankly, I think my body is mad enough at me....I don't know if I can keep smoking till January. I mean, I coughed up blood this morning! Maybe you can lower the smoking levels so the ramp up to January 1st isn't so bad? I dunno.....hell you've been smoking longer than I've been alive.

OldassKDX

Nov 9, 2000
Ricky.....thanks, and believe me I'll keep you in mind if things get tough, but I'm trying by force of will for this quit.

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I'd been chewing for 16 years and had a dip in at all times unless I was sleeping or eating. I became the master of swallowing that crap so I could hide if from clients, coworkers etc. A year ago in October, I walked out of the dentists office and swore I'd stop dipping this time for good. A year later and I havent had a single chaw.

Too bad I started smoking... :bang: started out just a couple smokes a day to help me get through quitting chewing. I bought a box of the nicotene gum this week. Gonna quit this smoking thing ASAP. I'm in with you.

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
It really is much easier to quit with NRT, I didn't have much luck with the patches but found the chewing gum much better, and it comes in various different flavours as well. I smoked for about 25 years, when I got up to 2-3 packs per day I tried to stop by willpower and just having one small cigar at lunchtime. Within a year I was buying the cigars in bulk and smoking 10-15 per day. About 2 years before that I had started MX riding for fun, and thought I would try racing. I couldn't finish the race ! By that time NRT was available, and without it I couldn't have stopped. The only problem is I am still chewing the gum 8 years later, but its not too bad as I use the low strength and cut each piece in half. It is very tough to give up, you must remember to resist the temptation first thing in the morning and as soon as you wake up get the NRT before doing anything else. I do still smoke a cigar most days and would probably accept a smoke if offered, but I think that is because I still use the NRT, but it is definitely under control. It won't be easy, and you may notice some personality changes, but I found the best way is just to stick with the NRT and take each day as it comes, what you don't need to do is apply enormous pressure to yourself which only makes you want to smoke more. Good luck

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I've always been on that only smokes when drinking beer. Recently, stress has gotten the best of me and I started smoking all the time. Then, I decided it was time to quit. I have a week and three days on you, I quit on the 7th.

This is not the first time either, it's such an easy habit to pick back up. I have to avoid going to any pubs, hanging out with smoking friends....basically avoid being around cigarettes at all cost, for at least a month, just to get past the cravings. After that I'm okay. I've been smoking on and off about as long as Okie. Longest stretch without a smoke was one full year.

Good luck to all that are quiting. It can be really tough, strange things happen to your body and your attitude for a while. Trust me though, once you get past the physical and mental part of it, it's well worth the effort. I think I had a week long endorphine high this time, as my body was compensating for the lack of nictotine!!

DahlElama

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2001
I have to avoid going to any pubs, hanging out with smoking friends....basically avoid being around cigarettes at all cost, for at least a month

OK,
1) avoid pubs - I can do that.
2) avoid hanging out with smoking friends and being around cigarettes at all cost for at least a month. Hmmm... My wife smokes. This is brilliant. I'll call her right now and tell her to move out for a month (maybe more if I need more time). :debil:

Lets see...
1 Ornery wife
+ 2yr old twin boys
+ temporary 1000sqft rental while our house is being finished
+ my propensity to be ornery without nicotene
+ upcoming road trip with twins and ornery wife
+ the holidays
= Fun time to quit smoking.

I need the 1-800 # for Philip Morris

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
It's about time for me too! After 27 yrs. of smoking I tried to quit earlier this year... made it a week and started up again :bang: .
This is by far the most difficult situation I've been in. The patches worked until the end of the day and then they stop working, sounds like I need more will power/discipline!

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
DahlElama said:
OK,
1) avoid pubs - I can do that.
2) avoid hanging out with smoking friends and being around cigarettes at all cost for at least a month. Hmmm... My wife smokes. This is brilliant. I'll call her right now and tell her to move out for a month (maybe more if I need more time). :debil:

LOL, yeah been there done that, my X was a stinkin chimney when I tried quitting once. Not a good thing to be exposed to them daily when quitting. I wish I had thought of telling her to move out ! :rotfl:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
DahlElama said:
2} avoid hanging out with smoking friends and being around cigarettes at all cost for at least a month. Hmmm... My wife smokes. This is brilliant. I'll call her right now and tell her to move out for a month (maybe more if I need more time).

Damn, coffee on the keyboard....... :laugh:

Last edited:

drz400e

Oct 16, 2004
OldassKDX:

I quit smoking almost 5 years ago. I smoked for 23 years. It was probably the hardest thing I havedone in my life.

I gave myself a deadline of 2 weeks to quit.
Switched brand of Cigs to a mild sh*ty brand.
Started having my first cig of the day later each day.
I enjoyed my last cig with friends.
After having quit for a few days, I couldn't sleep and was an ornary cuss.\
I popped a Nicorette into my mouth just before bed.
Slept like a newborn babe.

Its tough for the first 3 weeeks.
The key is don't sneak a drag. It just makes it harder.

Good Luck

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
I think this group could be just the support some of us need.

:ride:

Vampyrz

Oct 21, 2004
I started smoking something a bit stronger about 30 years ago. I finally decided that the little enjoyment I received was not worth the negative effects on my family should certain members of our community take an interest in my recreational activities. I quit about a month ago.

Carp824

~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2002
If you don' quit for yourself quit for the other people that love you and want you around. My parents both died from smoking related illness within 18 months of each other. I have two small children that will never get to know their grandparents because of it.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Okiewan said:
Everyone I know that sucessfully quit, did it cold turkey.

I tried that. Didn't work.

Tried chewing gum, eating candy, smoking a pipe, didn't work.

The smoking a pipe thing was particularly funny. Damn near knocked my teeth out. Working on motors and smoking pipes dont mix. One slip of the wrench and the pipe goes flying across the shop. :yikes:

One day I saw an add for a hypnotist. 'Quit smoking for $ 35.00.' I figured, what the heck. Went to him and sat down in his office and he proceeded to talk to me. Said when I needed a cig, just tell myself that I really didn't need one and take a big deep breath instead. I thought to myself, yeah sure, I just wasted 35 bucks.

I didn't feel like I was in any kind of hypnotic trance or anything and I could hear people walking down the hall outside his office and cars driving in and out of the parking lot. Walked out of his office thinking, what a waste.

Funny thing though, I haven't had a cigarette since. Two days later my wife and I went to the opening of a club that a friend of mine owned and sat at a table full of smokers, didn't want one. That was about 20 years ago, still don't want one.

Best 35 bucks I ever spent.

Doesn't work for everybody. I took my cousin to him about 6 months later. He was charging $200,00 by then. He said he wasn't getting enough business at $ 35.00 and had to raise his prices. At $ 200.00 he had lots of business. Go figure. About a week later my cousin started smoking again.

One of the main points is, you have to really want to quit for it to work.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

Ol'89r

Top Bottom