mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
i will be racing my 95kdx 200 this sunday on a 70's style mx track. only one table top and not enough whoops that they matter. it is basically turn after turn with gradual elevation changes. the track will most likely be very soft to muddy and it will probably rain.

i can't change out springs or set my sag before the race but i can adjust the clickers and set the tire pressure. what would you guys recommend for these type of conditions.

i am going to drop tire pressure to about 8lbs and stiffen compression on front forks. reduce rebound on rear. does that make sense? i'm new to racing

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I would be hesitant to drop the air that low. I don't ever run less than 12, but I outweigh my bike.

Honestly, I would make very few adjustments. If you change too much the bike won't feel at all familiar and you might end up slower and/or more dangerous.

BTW, by reducing rebound do you mean "reduce the rebound damping" or "reduce the rebound action" (because they are opposite adjustments)?

Don't stress too much over changing things or performing too well. Look at it as a chance to ride a nicely prepped track with medical assistance nearby! (And make sure to post a report afterwards)

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
yeah, I'd say always keep the tires between 14.5 and 12 psi. 14.5 in the hardest conditions and 12 in the mud.
depending on what kind of riding you usually do, I'd go in (clockwise) on the compression 1 or 2 clicks for the jumps. Leave the rebound alone.
Good luck!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by mprest4
i will be racing my 95kdx 200 this sunday on a 70's style mx track. only one table top and not enough whoops that they matter. it is basically turn after turn with gradual elevation changes. the track will most likely be very soft to muddy and it will probably rain.

You must be going to Burleson. Don't make any changes to your bike unless you stiffen the forks a click or two. If it is Burleson you're going to, the dirt is some of the best. The whoops there will fool you too if you don't watch out, they aren't spaced evenly and they don't really have much of a shape to them. Best to try and single them if you're not used to them because it's easy to get out of shape. After the table top you'll want to stay on the left or right because of the breaking bumps, same for the section after the single coming out of the sweeper just before the next turn. I wonder why everyone rides in the middle of the track at those two places.

Guess I should stop now and find out if that's where you are really going. ;)

Top Bottom