yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey Spodes and Spodettes-
I went for a ride today, and ended up getting gas in a recent cut, which cut my day short, so I decided to take my bike apart (for fun ;)). First step. Take rear wheel off. Okay, the bike's on the stand, and I try to take the rear axle nut off with my rachet. Doesn't work. More pressure, doesn't work.
That's where I am now. The nut won't budge. What do I do? WD-40? Try to tap it a little with a hammer? Any ideas or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Stephen

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Heat it with a torch, slightly.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm hoping it isn't the same thing I ran into on my axle. The threads were stripped out, and when I put the muscle to it, the whole axle assembly spun and ruined the chainside adjuster block. I'm picking up parts tonight, $42 total.

Good luck, hopefully yours is just corroded on there.

KTA

Jul 14, 2000
heating the nut is a great way to do it (if you have a torch). . . .if not.. wd40 should help, get as much as you can everywhere, let it soak in for about 30 mins, put on some more and try loosening again.. . . although heating definatly works the best, just make sure you don't heat the axle too much, because it will expand and make the nut even tighter

Y2Z

~SPONSOR~
Apr 6, 2002
last time i nut got stuck on the axle i got out the chop saw and cut it off... :cool:
BTW, this was my spare parts bike

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Laying it on it's side and spraying on penetration fluid will do it also. Takes a bit but will work itself in after a while.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
How long of a rachet are you using? I've got a 1/2" breaker bar, about 18" long, that works great...

None the less I'd highly recommend using JB (justice brothers) 80, it works much better than WD-40...or just use that ever so trusty torch.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Okay, I soaked it in half a can of WD-40 and went to work out. Came home, drilled a hole in a 3 foot 2x4. Put rachet handle in hole. Put all my weight on the 2x4 and it creaked loose

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Take a good look at your threads, both on the axle and the nut. It may be time to replace them. :eek:

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ah the sound of a good creak! Good job, throw some anti seize stuff on there before it happens again. You might want to loosen and tighten that bolt more often also. :D

KawieKX125

~SPONSOR~
Oct 9, 2000
I usually just use my HUGE 3/4 inch drive ratchet. It is about 3 feet long and does the trick! Almost weighs 20 pounds!
BTW, a long piece of pipe over the end of the ratchet makes a spiffy breaker bar.

Top Bottom