JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I had a problem with my rad and have to have it repaired. Is there a particular procedure that has to followed when re-filling the coolant or is just like an auto. Fill it, run till the coolant level drops fill again.

Any recomendations on the type of anti-freeze to use when re-filling? Do these compounds which claim to make the engine run cooler really work? A product called Water Wetter comes to mind.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggetrions.

B

biglou

Here's what my manual says:

This is from the 2001 manual but I think it still applies:

Refilling/Bleeding the cooling system

The cooling system must be bled as described below after draining of the cooling liquid or after adding more than 0.25 litres (0.06 US gallons):
  • Make sure that the drain screw is fastened
  • Pour approx. 0.5 litres (0.13 US gallons) coolant into the system. (left radiator cap)
  • Remove screw at the cylinder head. Reinstall it as soon as the cooling liquid emerges free of air bubbles (only for 125/200 engines)
  • Remove the screw on the right radiator. (top)
  • Now add cooling liquid untill it emerges free of bubbles at the right radiator.
  • Then immediately mount the screw so that no more air can enter the right radiator
  • Top up the left radiator until the coolant can be seen approx. 10mm (0.4 in.) above the radiator fins.
  • Check the coolant level again after a short ride.

As far as the coolant additives/substitutes you asked about, do a search using the keywords "Water Wetter" and "Engine Ice" for the Product Reviews-Questions Forum. There was a multi-page thread in there on this subject about three months ago that should have all the info you need to make an informed decision on that subject.

Here is a link to that thread: Click!

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

rollingp

Oct 31, 2001
coolant

That is coorect.
Waterwetter is a good product to use.
I suggest mixing your coolant 50/50 prior to refilling your rad.
Add the water wetter .
Use purified water such as distilled and try to get the kind that has no mineral
in it.
Water wetter breaks down the surface tension of the water and this allows the water to carry away more heat.
Ever see a mosquito land on the water?
They cant do this when the water wetter is added.
Fire Depts use a product that does the same thing.
it is indroduced through an eductor and most have the agent mixed in with the booster tank on the fire engines.this gives them a better initial
offensive attack when first entering a burning structure.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Green Alert

So what happens in the aftermath of a fire, and mister innocent little misquito come along and lands on an inviting puddle, will he drown?:(

KYHU

Jun 12, 2001
Don't bother doing it the way the manual says. It's a waste of time IMO.

Here's how I do it : pour as much coolant as you can, close the radiator cap. Then lean your bike on the two sides. Put some more coolant till the indicated level. Take your bike for a short ride, wait until the radiators are cold and fill again till the indicated level.

david

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
KYHU, <Bad advise> The bleed holes are there for a reason, if the system is completly drained, when you ad coolant, there is a good chance there will be air pockets in the cyl jackets that can get hot past the boiling point and not allow the coolant to circulate, resulting in an overheated engine.
Big Lou has giving the proper proceedure, there are bleed holes on the cylinder and both radiators, best to use them.

Top Bottom